Whats better the DFX or MXT

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the same question. I have both machines. I like the MXT better from a use standpoint, but I want other opinions as well. As far as I know, you can't actually program the MXT cause it is all knobs, but you can adjust the settings.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No you cant program the MXT but mine is more stable on deep targets than the DFX. I like the simplicity of it. The way I look at it is that I can program the DFX in single frequency to perform much like the MXT but I cant do the opposite so I am keeping the DFX. The MXT has a little edge on my DFX in depth but very little and the features of the DFX outweigh the slight depth difference.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the on the fly adjustments, to me it's just more time detecting instead of going through programs. It's a really deep seeking detector and will keep pace with the V3i or E-trac as far as depth goes, I never feel outgunned with my MXT. HH

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The DFX is a dual frequency machine that has countless options available. The MXT is simpler to use and uses the same coils. Between the preset programs and my preloaded custom
programs I'm set for most detecting locations before I arrive so the DFX gets my vote.

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an XLT which is programmable like the DFX. I got frustrated with the xlt and sold it a few years later. I got out of the hobby after that then I got the detecting bug again and did some research online and got a brand new mxt pro in 2011. I am now back in this hobby for life because of the mxt. ITs easier to program and goes deep. Also has relic and prospecting modes. ITs solidly built and when you swing it- you can tell its a high end detector. I like the 7 tone ID's which aids me in determining targets. I give the nod to the mxt pro.

Wayfarer

Dec 7, 2005
Western Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's: V3i, MXT, XL Pro
(In the past: White's: VX3, DFX, XLT, 6000 Di Pro SL, Coinmaster 2DB --- Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It comes down to personal preference. I've had both, and I like the MXT better because of its great mix of performance and simplicity. Others may say the DFX because it's more adjustable and flexible (wet sand capability). For the kind of hunting I do, parks, schools, yards, coins and jewelry, the MXT is perfect. It's just as deep as the DFX and the lack of adjustments aren't a problem for the types of hunting I do, in fact the simplicity is an advantage. And yes, the MXT and DFX are both very good in the depth department with the MXT winning on target ID accuracy. I eventually sold the DFX but still have, and enjoy, my MXT.

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
whites v3i ,mxt pro, idx pro garretts pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't consider myself an expert by any means but my take on this is simple as I've had both. If you are able and like to tweak and mess around with settings till you get the famous best settings for you and your area 'or if you are like me your head just starts spinning' then grab the dfx they have gotten to be very reasonably priced. I will say I did really like pin pointing with it and the 950 coil. I had the dfx 7 years when I sold it and never once can I say I felt confident in it. Sure it found stuff but I never got the hang of it. Now the mxt I bought my first one in 06 and am now on my 2nd a pro model and I feel much more at ease running it more fun easier and much less to adjust. Don't have to worry bout getting messed and from what I have read people seem to compare end performance roughly the same depending on who you ask. So for me I prefer the simple easy to use fun mxt vs a equally good but to me a way to complicated dfx. I also have to note the dfx was by far the most EMI affected machine I have ever used there were places it would false so bad you couldn't use it even in factory c an j. no where's near a town the worst time I can remember i was in a field with normal power lines near rd.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I already commented on this thread but I think I am going to recant my statement. Lately when I get out on my short afternoon hunts I find myself grabbing the MXT. It's just so much more stable and I really like it. I went back to the DFX one afternoon and it was that hunt that made me realize that I really liked the MXT better. It's like wingmaster said, the on the fly adjustments and the performance of the MXT has just won me over. I found a guy on another forum that wanted to trade me a MXT 300 with SunRay Probe and a D2 coil for my DFX and we made the deal. I guess it's MXT all the way for me now. I'm weird about having all my equipment being the same. I live by a routine and basically a little OCD about certain things. The difference feel and sound of the DFX bugged me so I am Full Time MXT now. I don't believe I am going to regret my decision.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all fairness i have a DFX which i like quite a bit only at the beach! Around town EMI bugs the heck out of me,the DFX is deep, good for 10-11 inch depth in my mild Florida soil with high Sens Preamp and other settings. I find that my Gamma 6000, G2 are just as deep and much more stable and a bit faster around town. Ill never give up my DFX due to the salt sand beaches, if i lived inland i would pick an MXT all-Pro or MX5 if i were to select a Whites machine. Whites makes great products, i love the mechanics of the Whites line and the MXT is a great detector. Also Whites customer service is fantastic . You wont regret a thing, unless you hit the beaches !

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In all fairness i have a DFX which i like quite a bit only at the beach! Around town EMI bugs the heck out of me,the DFX is deep, good for 10-11 inch depth in my mild Florida soil with high Sens Preamp and other settings. I find that my Gamma 6000, G2 are just as deep and much more stable and a bit faster around town. Ill never give up my DFX due to the salt sand beaches, if i lived inland i would pick an MXT all-Pro or MX5 if i were to select a Whites machine. Whites makes great products, i love the mechanics of the Whites line and the MXT is a great detector. Also Whites customer service is fantastic . You wont regret a thing, unless you hit the beaches !

I don't blame you for keeping the DFX for the beach. I don't live anywhere close to a beach and the only time I will probably go to the beach is when my wife and I take a cruise. I will be diving every day on the cruise and won't have any time to detect anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions