TDI SL users?

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snow be damned, I'm hitting the beach today with my TDI. I won't know how things look until I get there, but I'm figuring that the snow cover will be on the normally dry sand. It will be low tide and so I'll be hunting in wet sand. I don't hear too many people talking about this machine on the forum and was wondering if anyone had one and what settings they use on the beach. I've experimented with good success but always end up missing my V3i. I only have 30-40 hours experience with the TDI.

Last edited:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have one but haven't used it at the beach. Let me know how it goes. I'm heading to the coast for a 4 day camping trip on Friday and am planning on doing the same thing haha. I got it for nugget shooting but I think it will hit pretty deep in the sand.

OP
OP
Johnnoh

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm back - it was more frozen than I imagined. I couldn't dig more than about 3" in most areas. I ended up going under the boardwalk and the TDI is definitely the wrong machine for that environment. There were nails everywhere but I managed to find about $3 in clad and a Merc. I was using GB and switched to high conductive only with pulse delay at 10ms.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm back - it was more frozen than I imagined. I couldn't dig more than about 3" in most areas. I ended up going under the boardwalk and the TDI is definitely the wrong machine for that environment. There were nails everywhere but I managed to find about $3 in clad and a Merc. I was using GB and switched to high conductive only with pulse delay at 10ms.

10us?? That's where you went wrong For Grubbing about on the Beach you should have set the Delay Between 15 to 17.5 and that will knock out a lot of the junk, The V3i won't match the SL for depth and in the dry sand Try Turning the GB off and keep the Coil Level because the SL will do some sort of Auto Tune and smooth out any noise, OR Try Lowering the GB down one or 2 numbers which will make it more sensitive and Move the Point as to where Junk Comes Through. Ok

OP
OP
Johnnoh

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tips. I'll try them next time. I was going by the White's field guide - they suggested 10us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread