Came back to Whites

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Came back to White's

I am back and with an MXT Pro. Traded off my X-terra 705 for it. Had a DFX before the 705 but sold it to buy the Minelab. The 705 was good but I didn't realize how much I actually liked the DFX, just didn't like all the adjustments. I put the 705 up for sale or trade and was offered some really popular and good machines but when the offer of a 2012 MXT Pro was presented to me, I felt it was a good move. So, hello again everyone:hello:

Last edited:

gabbyhayes

Feb 9, 2014
Sask.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 AT PRO GTI 2500
V3i SURF PI PRO
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a V3i and the CTX3030 but I always prefer the V3i!.
I just can't get used to Minelabs VDI system. I know the CTX is a good machine and I'm gonna hang on to it.....but I still prefer my Whites machine.
I plan on spending a little more time getting familiar to the CTX this year, cause I've found that all high end machines are good...its has alot to do with the operator and how familiar they are with their machine.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I am back and with an MXT Pro. Traded off my X-terra 705 for it. Had a DFX before the 705 but sold it to buy the Minelab. The 705 was good but I didn't realize how much I actually liked the DFX, just didn't like all the adjustments. I put the 705 up for sale or trade and was offered some really popular and good machines but when the offer of a 2012 MXT Pro was presented to me, I felt it was a good move. So, hello again everyone:hello:
I got a DFX this year used but it is like new .. And you are right all the adjustments on the DFX is enough to drive one crazy..

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the MXT, I never feel outgunned with mine as it can get dimes at 10"+ with some being at a full 12" before. HH

OP
OP
ZR2guy

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This unit came with a 8 x 6 butterfly search coil. The 12" concentric was sold off by the original owner. I will probably look for a 10" DD coil in the future, or possibly even a 950. Time will tell.
As far as the DFX, I actually found some cool stuff with it. I understood what most of the adjustments meant, I just felt like I was always second guessing myself as to if I had the DFX adjusted as good as possible for the area I was hunting. Too many adjustments equalled too much second guessing for me. I think that the MXT Pro will be perfect for me. I haven't even gone out with it yet but I just have a good feeling about it. I will post my first impressions (and hopefully good finds) after the MXT and I have our first couple of dates. Thanks for the replies to this point.:icon_thumright:

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This unit came with a 8 x 6 butterfly search coil. The 12" concentric was sold off by the original owner. I will probably look for a 10" DD coil in the future, or possibly even a 950. Time will tell.
As far as the DFX, I actually found some cool stuff with it. I understood what most of the adjustments meant, I just felt like I was always second guessing myself as to if I had the DFX adjusted as good as possible for the area I was hunting. Too many adjustments equalled too much second guessing for me. I think that the MXT Pro will be perfect for me. I haven't even gone out with it yet but I just have a good feeling about it. I will post my first impressions (and hopefully good finds) after the MXT and I have our first couple of dates. Thanks for the replies to this point.:icon_thumright:

Go with the 10" D2 - best coil on the MXT imo. I hardly take it off my v3i.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DFX has a steep initial learning curve. However once you find the programs that work well in your area and save them to memory its a turn on and go machine, with perhaps needing changes to Preamp and AC sens only on occasion depending on EMI. The DFX has become my favorite beach machine along with my Beach Hunter ID, with the 9.5 coil. Both will find me a coin/ring down to 11-12" in wet soaking sand without any issues. However for high EMI areas away from the beach the others go instead (Tek, Nokta...). I would love to have an MXT Pro, i saw one being used and it seems like a very nice machine. Whites makes great detectors of solid quality US made, and the customer service is amazing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZR2guy

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The DFX has a steep initial learning curve. However once you find the programs that work well in your area and save them to memory its a turn on and go machine, with perhaps needing changes to Preamp and AC sens only on occasion depending on EMI. The DFX has become my favorite beach machine along with my Beach Hunter ID, with the 9.5 coil. Both will find me a coin/ring down to 11-12" in wet soaking sand without any issues. However for high EMI areas away from the beach the others go instead (Tek, Nokta...). I would love to have an MXT Pro, i saw one being used and it seems like a very nice machine. Whites makes great detectors of solid quality and the customer service is amazing.

I bought the book "Digging Deeper with the DFX" by Jeff Foster and it really made things easier. Great book and written to be easy to understand and quickly apply the settings that are suggested in it. Even though the MXT Pro, from the outside, appears to be easy to understand, I am seriously considering placing an order for the other Jeff Foster book, " The MXT Edge ". I am certain it will also be a plethora of helpful information.
I agree 110% that White's makes some of the best metal detectors on the market but where they really stand alone at the top is in their customer service.
I will also go as far to say that as much as I liked my X-terra 705, I was not thrilled about the fact that Minelab is manufacturing detectors in Malaysia. Again, here is another reason I am becoming a loyal White's fan due to the owner's decision to continue to manufacture detectors in the states where the business began.:occasion14:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The D2 coil is a deep coin killer for sure, I bought a 13" ultimate coil looking for a little more depth and the D2 is as deep but the ultimate 13" coil does cover more ground and hits a little harder on those deep coins that are sitting on edge. HH

OP
OP
ZR2guy

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The D2 coil is a deep coin killer for sure, I bought a 13" ultimate coil looking for a little more depth and the D2 is as deep but the ultimate 13" coil does cover more ground and hits a little harder on those deep coins that are sitting on edge. HH

How is the 13" ultimate coil as far as weight, balance?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back! I followed much the same path as you mentioned in OP, up to the CTX. I like the 9" Spider coil and 5.3 eclipse coils on the MXT.

I used the 13" Ultimate on a sovereign for beach detecting. It was lighter than the 10" Tornado coil, but have never used one on the MXT.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems pretty close to the weight of the D2 coil, the weight isn't a problem for me but I wouldn't take that coil in the woods or anything I only use it in open parks or yards. HH

blondojs05

Greenie
Apr 27, 2014
Upstate New York champlain
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro. v3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a mxt pro that I like was wondering how you like the v3i how does it compare like the fact of programs but don't want to get into something that I would have a hard time setting up

gregg5150

Jan 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will really come to like the MXT Pro, is really a great machine. If I was allowed only one detector, I would chose the MXT Pro because it is such a versatile machine. It will cover you in a lot of different hunting situations and a great selection of coils and aftermarket coils. Your old DFX was the last of the 4 filter machines and required a faster sweep. The MXT's are basically a 3 filter and you can get away with a faster sweep as well as a slower sweep speed. I mainly only hunt old iron infested ghost towns out here in Eastern Oregon and use the MXT Pro and M6 ( little brother) and have had great success with each.

The 8 x 6 SEF coil is a good coil and wouldn't worry about replacing it. There is a reason the original owner sold off the 12'' coil. Its heavy and clumsy and does not balance well on the end of the rod. If they would have moved where the rod attaches to the coil more towards the center instead of closer to the edge of the coil.
Anyhow enjoy your MXT Pro, its a great machine.

OP
OP
ZR2guy

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you will really come to like the MXT Pro, is really a great machine. If I was allowed only one detector, I would chose the MXT Pro because it is such a versatile machine. It will cover you in a lot of different hunting situations and a great selection of coils and aftermarket coils. Your old DFX was the last of the 4 filter machines and required a faster sweep. The MXT's are basically a 3 filter and you can get away with a faster sweep as well as a slower sweep speed. I mainly only hunt old iron infested ghost towns out here in Eastern Oregon and use the MXT Pro and M6 ( little brother) and have had great success with each.

The 8 x 6 SEF coil is a good coil and wouldn't worry about replacing it. There is a reason the original owner sold off the 12'' coil. Its heavy and clumsy and does not balance well on the end of the rod. If they would have moved where the rod attaches to the coil more towards the center instead of closer to the edge of the coil.

Yeah, I wasn't disappointed about the 12" coil being sold as I would have done the same thing. I am looking at the D2 and the 10x5 SEF coils, not to buy both, but one or the other. I have read good reviews about the D2 but haven't seen much feedback on the SEF 10x5.

gregg5150

Jan 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the 5 x 10 sef and honestly I didnt see any improvements over the 8x6 sef. You have the 8x6 so I wouldn't worry too much about the 5x10. As far as the D2 coil....its a funny coil, either folks like it or they don't.....I don't, the coil is just to erratic and jumpy vdi numbers.....I really like the 9" spider coil.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get a 9" Spider. It is my favorite coil for general use. I now have the 5.3 Eclipse, 4x6 Shooter, 5x10 Elliptical, 9" Spider and the Super 12. The concentric coils are my favorite on any machine. The ID's seem better and they Id trash targets easier imo.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009

Actually you can select the number of filters to use on the dfx, 1 - 6. Sweep speed is also adgustable.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the standard MXT and the M6. I use the MXT with the 10X12 SEF coil when hunting less trashy areas and the 6x8 SEF in trash. I also have the 4X6DD and the 5.3. I just bought the Whites 5.3 and haven't got a lot of time on it yet but it seems to ID trash better than the DD coils. I have Rhematoid Arthritis and swinging a heavy detector is prohibitive for me but the MXT is very well balanced and with the 6X8 is easy to swing. I liked the design of the MXT so much, I sent my M6 to Whites to have it configured the same way. The angle of the rod on the M6 hurt my wrist too much. I will hopefully get it back next week some time. If I was going to buy a new machine the MXT All Pro would be my choice but since I have Tone ID on the M6 and I don't need the backlight, I will just keep what I have. I don't think you will regret the move from the Xterra 705. I have had two of them and IMHO they can't touch the MXT in depth, speed, or ID on deep signals. The MXT also has the best tracking system that I have used.
Pesc

OP
OP
ZR2guy

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually, I just purchased a 950 coil earlier tonight. My old DFX had this coil and it worked great. Bought it from a member on another forum and it is in excellent condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread