Can Someone with a DFX help me diaganose mine??

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone help me out? I am trying to figure out if my DFX is defective or if PA is just an EMI jungle.
I have EMI stability issues caused by the 3kHz channel that effect the MultiFrequency modes as well as the 15kHz mode to some extent. I can not get the machine to run without EMI type falsing when AC is over 60-62 in ANY location. Since I can get AC up to 70 in 15kHz and only 60 in 3kHz this reduces the mutifrequency modes to about 65 max on the AC.
This machine has been to Whites Factory to be checked over, they told me I needed 3 coils (paid for a NEW 950, was given a used D2 and they repaired the 4x6) but it is not much better than before I sent it. The tech told me all he does is load the coin program and if it quite it is good.. I am getting into the engineering of the machine if I change things.. Really? This is the Factory Tech .. He told me he would have is boss call me later that day when he had time .. that was last Thrusday.

Acts the same with ALL the coils

So, if you guys could take a look at these videos, then set your machine the same way and let me know if it act the same, it would save me a lot of time arguing with Whites if this is normal.

Load C/J,Set ToneID=on VCO=on PAG=3 AC=70 3kHz only, Hold the coil waist high after ground balnce.
Here is what mind does at multiple places some 100 miles between each other

State Park
https://youtu.be/JGSfh1FoQEY

Newtown Square
https://youtu.be/PVknommtLUo

DFX at Masonic Village

DFX along 222

DFX along Turnpike

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be lots of things, but i would try your trigger for pinpointing /depth first . might be on, or sticking.

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be lots of things, but i would try your trigger for pinpointing /depth first . might be on, or sticking.

If you wouldn't mind going out side and doing that quick little test for me it would be a much bigger help.

Quake

Mar 1, 2010
MD
Detector(s) used
Current: Xp Deus, Equinox 600

Detectors used: Whites XLT, Fisher F75, Minelab Se Pro, Makro racer 2, T2 LTD DST,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow
And they repaired replaced the coil ?
Know any one with another coil, does it do this with all your other coils?

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that an RF choke on the cable leading to the control box? If so take it off, i tried one on mine and cause overloading and cable signal imbalances. My machine is much more stable than that even with preamp at 4, ac 75 on the beach program on desolate beaches. Wish you were closer i would meet up with you and bring my DFX along...anyone near Philly that can help? Did you send it to Sweethome Oregon for repairs or another center? You don't have your phone on you? get away from the car too and try it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, that is a bunggy cord for the Swingy Thingy

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only time my dfx will act that way is when pp trigger is pushed foward, or if not ground/air balanced correctly

Quake

Mar 1, 2010
MD
Detector(s) used
Current: Xp Deus, Equinox 600

Detectors used: Whites XLT, Fisher F75, Minelab Se Pro, Makro racer 2, T2 LTD DST,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was curious myself what that was on the cable thought it was a emi filter.

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow
And they repaired replaced the coil ?
Know any one with another coil, does it do this with all your other coils?

YES all the coils. Yes, Connie told me the 4x6 is one of the few they can repair.. Yes they Gave me a d2 to replace mine, it was supposedly used but tested fine (looked new) and I Paid them $100 for NEW 950. And YES it does the exact same thing with all the coils..
How about yours, what does it do with those listed settings

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
What service center did you send it to ? If you want good service at a better price and want them to contact you back.... You have to send Whites to there service center in Sweet Home Or.,... There other service centers are not that great on service or price ... When i need Whites service i send mine to Sweet Home and i live in Ohio... Wow you sent it to Sweet home and they did you that way.... To me that is not good news about there service...

Last edited:
OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, went from Philadelphia PA to Sweet Home Or. Then the other 2 Coils where shipped cause the Tech said they were bad too.. HOW he knew this is beyond me.. .. Will be posting anther video after it is uploaded and ready, really freaked out today.. and continued to freak after the coil was unplugged!

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the state park working a recently cut field (sticker bushes so no trash), was in Mixed Mode with DC=50, AC=64 (highest it could go and be stable) 3kHz only, PAG=4. After about an hour and a half, after digging a target, the machine freaked out. I turned PAG to1 AC down to 59 with no change. If you notice the Non-Motion mode is not freaking out.. just the motion mode.. and it continues after the coil wire is removed.. Switched to 15kHz only and was fine with a PAG=4 AC=70. 30 minutes later switched back and it was working as it did to start the day. BTW no matter what the PAG is set to in 3kHz only I can never have AC above 65. This does not make logical sense other than there is an issue with the electronics of the 3kHz motion mode channel. if this was a new machine I would send it back for a refund.. being it was just fully checked by Sweet Home, I am not a happy camper..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be if you go to the Whites metal detecting forum at Whites web site someone there might be able to help you ... To bad you might have to get rid of it..

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not been much help there either.. I will call Connie tomorrow, she said.. The repairs are guaranteed for 90 days.. so I guess that covers never fixed in the first place? Still hoping someone with a DFX will help me out with a Yes/No on the smooth running at those settings..

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Doug,
I did as you requested, took my DFX and with stock C&J program returned to all defaults, then changed the settings as you requested, Set ToneID=on VCO=on Pre Amp Gain=3 AC=70 3kHz only. Mine works normally, no falsing, no interference. When held at waist level outside it is totally silent, except for the threshold hum. From watching the videos, there is definitely something wrong with the box, if it does it with multiple coils. It sounds like EMI but if you've eliminated all sources of that and tried two different locations like you did I think the box has a problem inside. Whites Customer Service has always been top of the line when I dealt with them, but it sure seems like something is wrong with the detector itself.
Mark

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug,
I did as you requested, took my DFX and with stock C&J program returned to all defaults, then changed the settings as you requested, Set ToneID=on VCO=on Pre Amp Gain=3 AC=70 3kHz only. Mine works normally, no falsing, no interference. When held at waist level outside it is totally silent, except for the threshold hum. From watching the videos, there is definitely something wrong with the box, if it does it with multiple coils. It sounds like EMI but if you've eliminated all sources of that and tried two different locations like you did I think the box has a problem inside. Whites Customer Service has always been top of the line when I dealt with them, but it sure seems like something is wrong with the detector itself.
Mark

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! :notworthy:
OMG Thank you for taking the time to do that, sometimes my luck is so bad, I start to wonder if it is all in my head.. BTW the speaker in my TRX is failing.. At least I can ship both units in one box!.. Is that a half full glass or half empty?? :BangHead:

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, look at it this way, if you are thinking about whether it is a positive or negative thing, you are at least thinking about making things positive somehow, so that's glass half full attitude to me.

By the way, to the other folks that responded to Doug's thread, I know you were trying to help him out too, but he was asking someone to use their DFX set up like his with the same settings to assure him it wasn't something he was doing, first. Reading his responses, he was just getting more frustrated with the suggestions without someone doing as he requested.

Last edited:

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Doug, Let us know what Whites figures out with your detector. I'd be interested to know what they find wrong.

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doug, Let us know what Whites figures out with your detector. I'd be interested to know what they find wrong.

You and me both! I am still waiting for a call back form the Techs Boss and yesterday I called to speak to Connie, the woman who called me to tell me what I owed last week and that the repairs were guaranteed for 90 days.. so does that include not being fixed the first time? Was sent to voice mail with no return call. After about 3 hours I called back and Patty told me they are 3 people short and doing the best they can and taking a lot of calls. Not sure if the 3 moved on or are out sick..
Right now Sweet Home customer service sucks!

Hey Trooper, are you located in a City/Town or out in a rural setting? I was at a ball park last night and just tried loading C/J with no changes other than 3kHz only and it was unusable.. I wish a couple other people would try this to put a few more nails in the coffin.. especially someone in one of the the east coast highly populated areas..

Last edited:
OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after many weeks, phone calls and emails, looks like the DFX and TRX are on their way back to me. Hopefully fixed this time. No one has called me yet but I did send them a mail today ask for a tracking number.

Shame the customer was ignored when he told the tech "I really think there is something wrong with that Board!"
Checked on status today..
PREVIOUS Workorder#xxx INCLUDED TRX S/N# xxxx / REPLACED Replaced main board Replaced ribbon connectors Calibrated Tested and Inspected Meets factory spec SHIPPED 4/16/15

Hope they tested the new TRX before they shipped it to Cheif Blackcloud.. My luck has been rather bad lately.. would hate to get a new TRX that was DOA..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread