Max XLT depth for a silver coin, standard coil?

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Hi,

Try as I will, I'm just not getting signals deeper than 6 inches with my XLT. Since much of the silver around here seems to be at 7 or more, I'm asking for ideas as to how to start getting deeper signals. I have tried turning up the pre-amp gain, but the ground here is often mineralized to the point that you can't push it up very much...maybe from 2 to 3 or, on a good day, 4. More experienced detectorists than I am are finding silver, though, so it's probably just a matter of experience (I've had the XLT less than 10 months).

I spent 7 hours last Sunday hunting a 100 year old farm (old by Oregon standards) and found one pocket spill of clad, a few Memorial cents, and a bunch of junk. The deepest signal I got was 5.5 inches. I know that place has not been hunted in at least 10 years, which is as long as the current owners have had it. There's GOT to be some older stuff there, but deep. If you're getting deeper than 5.5 inches and finding silver with your XLT, I'll appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Mike

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7 to 8 inches is about the best I've been able to do with my XLT here in Michigan and believe me I've tried literally hundreds of programs and tweaks (they're all over the internet). The silver I do manage to find, however, is usually in the 4-5" depth range. beyond that depth, the signals weaken dramatically and my adivce is to dig every deep weak signal until you tune in to what the machine is telling you. The real strength of the machine, in my opinion, is as a modern coinshooter...in that regard, it's second to none.

Plant a test garden at varying depths between 5-8 inches and practice until you're comfortable with how the machine reacts.

Not much help, but don't give up on it.

Jim

OP
OP
MikeOregon

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Jim,

Thanks for the response about depth and the XLT. I have to agree with you about its quality as a coin shooting machine. Just yesterday, I went to a middle school and found 75 coins. That would not be remarkable, except only a month ago, I was there, and I found 75 coins then as well! My total for that school is now at $22!

Well, I'll just keep trying to get deeper. I really don't want to invest in yet another detector at this time.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread