MXT All Pro, MXT Pro, M-6??

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure this has been visited a few times. I have an MXT, but I really like tone ID and was thinking about purchasing any of the 3 machines in the title (MXT PRO, All PRO and M-6).

My big question is what is the difference between the MXT PRO and All PRO, and I would like some experienced thoughts on the different characteristics of the 3 machines. -Thanks

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The difference between the MXT ALL PRO and the MXT PRO is a sticker that says " ALL" you can get the same coils

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure this has been visited a few times. I have an MXT, but I really like tone ID and was thinking about purchasing any of the 3 machines in the title (MXT PRO, All PRO and M-6).

My big question is what is the difference between the MXT PRO and All PRO, and I would like some experienced thoughts on the different characteristics of the 3 machines. -Thanks

Get the V3i if your going White's Pointman. You won't be wondering what else they offer. You can make it as simple or complex as you want.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated above no difference in All pro and pro other than the All pro comes with a D2 coil. I like the MXT All Pro I have but I purchased it used and it did not have the DD coil with it. I did get the 5x10 DD, 5.3 Eclipse (a must have) and 4x6 Shooter coils with it. I only have 10-15 hours on it but have learned it is very good at unmasking targets in heavy iron in Relic mode with disc set at about 2. For general coin hunting I actually like the MX-5's multiple tone audio better than the MXT PRO's multiple tones. I call the 2 tone mode the "hammer" mode because it has a real hard report as you will hear in the video below.
I have not used a M-6 but from my research it lacks a backlight, threshold adjustment and prospecting mode ( This mode can be used to read type of ground mineralization on the MXT-Pro, though I will probably will never use it for prospecting).

Here's a video from K. Southern of how I have pretty much ran the MXT Pro in a few really heavily iron infested sites. I tweaked disc up to maybe 2.5-3.

Last edited:

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the mxt pro and I like it for the 7 tone ID in the coin program. The M6 has the same mxt engine it just has a coin/jewelry program and salt water beach mode. All 3 have auto ground balance. If I was looking for a brand new detector I would choose the mxt all pro.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. I had a V3I, but it was much more busier than I cared for.

I had a White's IDX Pro back in 2008 that I used up till 2 years ago and I missed the knobs and the simplicity of it. I just purchased a M-6 for a price that I couldn't pass up (<$300), so I am going to see how that works!

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a regular MXT and a M6. I bought the M6 for one reason and that was to use in really trashy areas with a small coil. I like tone ID when hunting this type of area. The M6 performs about the same as the MXT with maybe a little less depth and it's very little. It is a silent search machine so I guess if you wanted a less "busy" machine then you will like it. I keep the 10X12 SEF coil on the MXT and still grab it when I am looking for deep coins or hunting a less trashy area. The 8X6 SEF stays on the M6 most of the time along with the 5.3.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I had a White's IDX Pro back in 2008 that I used up till 2 years ago and I missed the knobs and the simplicity of it. I just purchased a M-6 for a price that I couldn't pass up (<$300), so I am going to see how that works!

That's the beauty and the curse of the V3i. You can set it to be a turn on and go machine or make it so complicated that it will drive you nuts. Change any sounds you want, group them by conductivity, make it a silent search if you like, change the screens to your liking, pretty much anything goes. I don't change a thing anymore once I got it set for my soil and hunting conditions unless I'm in a weird spot with nasty ground or EMI, just turn on and go. The curse is you have to learn the machine before you get make it easy on yourself and this discourages a lot of beep and dig converts real quick.

Wayfarer

Dec 7, 2005
Western Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's: V3i, MXT, XL Pro
(In the past: White's: VX3, DFX, XLT, 6000 Di Pro SL, Coinmaster 2DB --- Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had 'em all (including the IDX Pro), and based on what you are wanting, I'd strongly urge you to get the MXT All-Pro. It's a simple knob-based detector like your old IDX Pro. It's also a fast recovery detector with great analog-type audio that gives you lots of information, also similar to your IDX Pro. Additionally, the MXT Pro will give you the option of the 7 Tone ID, which is really the only reason for the M6's existence. The M6 was created back when White's only had the non-pro MXT without the 7 Tone ID and so the M6 brought Tone ID to the MXT-type detector line. The MXT Pro combines the best of the MXT with the advantages of the M6. If you have the All-Pro, you'll have the option of running the detector *just* like an M6, i.e. in Coin & Jewelry mode with the 7 Tone ID on, and even silent threshold if you like.

MXT All-Pro = MXT Pro, there is no difference whatsoever except for the little red sticker on the All-Pro.

Why not the V3i? It has a totally different personality. Try them both side-by-side and you'll see immediately what I'm talking about. It's got a very laggy all-digital way of operating that feels very disconnected from what's going on in the ground under your coil. The V3i is like a floaty 70's Cadillac - power everything, but very detached - in comparison the MXT is like a great handling sports car (with crank windows and no AC:laughing7:).

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

I do believe you will like it just fine.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had 'em all (including the IDX Pro), and based on what you are wanting, I'd strongly urge you to get the MXT All-Pro. It's a simple knob-based detector like your old IDX Pro. It's also a fast recovery detector with great analog-type audio that gives you lots of information, also similar to your IDX Pro. Additionally, the MXT Pro will give you the option of the 7 Tone ID, which is really the only reason for the M6's existence. The M6 was created back when White's only had the non-pro MXT without the 7 Tone ID and so the M6 brought Tone ID to the MXT-type detector line. The MXT Pro combines the best of the MXT with the advantages of the M6. If you have the All-Pro, you'll have the option of running the detector *just* like an M6, i.e. in Coin & Jewelry mode with the 7 Tone ID on, and even silent threshold if you like.

MXT All-Pro = MXT Pro, there is no difference whatsoever except for the little red sticker on the All-Pro.

Why not the V3i? It has a totally different personality. Try them both side-by-side and you'll see immediately what I'm talking about. It's got a very laggy all-digital way of operating that feels very disconnected from what's going on in the ground under your coil. The V3i is like a floaty 70's Cadillac - power everything, but very detached - in comparison the MXT is like a great handling sports car (with crank windows and no AC:laughing7:).

That's a good analogy!

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have owned a lot of different machines but the MXT Pro I recently acquired is the easiest one to turn on and go. It ground balances fast and recovers lightning quick between targets. I find the TID to be accurate and the few adjustments are just that....few, which equates to more time digging targets and less time adjusting to find them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Interesting analogy.

Kind of reminds me, I swung a Tesoro Cibola for over a year. I paid just around $200 for it and couldn't pass it up. A year later I bought a used Cortes and didn't like it a bit. It seemed too far different from what I was used to in the Tesoro line which was a simple, turn and go machine that was super lightweight. I also didn't like this tiny readout on a Tesoro machine. It kind of defeated the beauty of the Tesoro line, IMO. I felt the same when I started to use the V3I. I am sure with time, I would have picked up on the V3I and would have loved it, but one of my detecting partners liked it better and I gave him a really good deal on it.

I just got the M6 today. I am going to swing it on more than a few hunts, but I am going to be on the lookout for a decent/can't refuse price on an MXT Pro or All Pro. Meantime, I will be selling the MXT and a few more White's I have around.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread