What should detect deeper a DFX or MXT

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL...that's like asking "which is faster, Ford or Chevy?"
Jim

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used both. I think the depth on the 2 are close to the same. The DFX just has more bells and whistles and frequencies than the MXT. But if you want raw power without all the tweaking, the MXT is the way to go.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The point I was trying to make is it's all about the conditions. There are places the DFX will greatly outperform the MXT. One, for instance is at the beach. Another is in places with hundreds of nails and other iron trash, like burned-down cabins, or other buildings. Without knowing the circumstances, it's impossible to answer the question. They're both great detectors.
Jim

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Places with hundreds of nails is going to be tough for any detector but the recovery speed is very fast on the MXT, I'm not sure the DFX will be better in high trash area's. The beach it will do better of course because of the multi freq. HH
The point I was trying to make is it's all about the conditions. There are places the DFX will greatly outperform the MXT. One, for instance is at the beach. Another is in places with hundreds of nails and other iron trash, like burned-down cabins, or other buildings. Without knowing the circumstances, it's impossible to answer the question. They're both great detectors.
Jim

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wingmaster nailed it. I've had both and liked the DFX better.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MXT-Pro in overdrive mode

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Places with hundreds of nails is going to be tough for any detector but the recovery speed is very fast on the MXT, I'm not sure the DFX will be better in high trash area's. The beach it will do better of course because of the multi freq. HH
Yes, but you can crank up the recovery speed on the DFX, AND run in correlate mode, which almost completely cancels all the nails, and iron. That dual freq capability is tops for trashy sites.
Jim

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cancelling out the nails is great but finding the target under them is a different story, I've detected really trashy parks where the only silver left is 10"+ and the MXT is able to get as deep as the V3i and pull as many coins. I never feel outgunned with the MXT and I've got dimes at a full 12". HH before
Yes, but you can crank up the recovery speed on the DFX, AND run in correlate mode, which almost completely cancels all the nails, and iron. That dual freq capability is tops for trashy sites.
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Like I said, they're both great units. It's all about the conditions where they're used that determines which is best at THAT location. Neither one is best in all conditions.
Jim

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cancelling out the nails is great but finding the target under them is a different story, I've detected really trashy parks where the only silver left is 10"+ and the MXT is able to get as deep as the V3i and pull as many coins. I never feel outgunned with the MXT and I've got dimes at a full 12". HH before

Specific machines aside...this concept is so easily ignored/ not recognized by lots of folks. 99% of the time, I'm hunting in all metal and use discrimination as an interrogation tool. Not gonna lie...every once in a while, I take my detector out for a walk in the park with discrim set to cherry pick coins and keep my sanity. :)

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got an old mining camp that has nails every 3 or 4 inches from burned-down cabins. The DFX stilll manages to find coins in that trash. I run correlate mode, and use a 4 x 6 coil. For all I know, the MXT would do as well, but I'd be surprised.
Jim

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own and still use both machines for 7 years now. Just came off of a site that had a burned out homestead loaded with nails and large iron. I used both machines on the site numerous times. The older MXT with full blast gain and no discrim with trigger forward gives me two sounds that helps separate the iron from good targets moving slowly it finds those little items. It also loves some iron while still maintaining a lower grunt (discrimination) on little nails. I would have missed one, two, and three pound cannon balls and all kinds of hand forged items if I was only using the DFX. The DFX sees the iron and lets me know its there but the MXT roars in with a good signal on certain hand forged items that I would have dismissed and never dug. Both machines have the ability to go deep with good separation. The DFX is my first choice since it allows me to totally adjust the machine to my liking. On the beach it kicks tail. With both machines on the site I always found something. Art

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I had the MXT & got dimes to 6" with wet ground, but we don't have mineral-free soil here. In that same park the Garrett AT Pro got a dime down 7" when soil was totally dry. The AT Pro must be manually ground balanced for best depth & ID. White's has auto ground track. So maybe White's sometimes has an advantage.

I talked to Steve at White's & he said the AT Pro doesn't do real well in their heavier mineralization. For testing new detectors they are developing, White's has 40 soil samples from all over the world.

Any day now, White's will have 2 new detectors, the Treasuremaster ($299 MSRP, $279 MAP price) & Treasurepro ($399 MSRP, $369 MAP price). They will have giant numerical IDs, can be safely used in the rain, use only 2 AA batteries & weigh only 3 lbs. The Treasuremaster comes with 9.5" round concentric coil. The Treasurepro comes with 10" DD coil. The depth reading goes to 10"+. They will have auto-tracking (the Treasurepro includes lock option for trashy sites), threshold to help hear the weakest beeps. They also have a beach mode. There is a little triangle in a circle that points to probable target.

There is always new software & other new ideas by design engineers to make detectors better &/or cheaper, and the reduced weight should enable many to detect more comfortably over many hours. The large numerical IDs will help those with bad vision to keep using the visual IDs. I'm thinking these detectors are likely replacements for the Coinmaster Pro & Coinmaster GT, as the prices are the same despite improvements. They can use any coils for current Coinmasters & recent Prizms, as the operating frequencies are close. I hope the IDs will be less jumpy. Will be watching for 1st reviews. Best wishes, George (MN)

Last edited:

Tnshooter

Jun 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used both while relic hunting. They both are about the same in depth.
But in certain situations the dfx can be setup to be more reliable on targets down deep.
the mxt will pick up targets at the same depth but not be as consistent on the vdi.
this isn't n issue with me as I relic hunt and dig anything above iron.

I have not used or compared an mxt-pro. So I can't say how it would compare.

My opinion is they are equal in depth. They both sound on targets. You just have to dig it.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are asking which will Beep the Deepest then there Is Not a lot In It, But If you are Asking which Machine will Let you know that something is Down There Then The MXT will Go along way Down, Way Past other Machines and it will Smoke Most PI Machines In Normal Ground with Equal Sized Coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions