Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used the search feature and did not find anything so I figured to ask.
I have a GM so I know about Whites.
Anyway, as far as I can tell,there is little difference except for the prospecting mode.
Maybe a few tones, or a low and high tone.
I do any and all detecting so I was wondering if I should buy a MXT.
I can get either one used for about the same price on Ebay, or Craigslist.

So,what do you think,Mxt, or M6?
If there are any major differences could you list or explain them.
I also have the Whites brochure and dont hardly see any differences.
How about in the field, either of the 2 better for ground or how deep.
Again, I know it matters with the ground and coil.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I would get the MXT-Pro over the 2 you mentioned. I compared all 3 before buying the MXT-Pro. The ground grab alone is worth any extra money you spend above what a regular mxt or m6 cost. Plus backlight, adjustable threshold, multi-tone coin mode. If you goodle search the differences there are many links to various forums and Whites website that will list all the differences.

Last edited:
OP
OP
roadrunner

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, I will go the whites site.
And check around.

Ok,went to kellyco and used the comparison chart.
And to whites.
Pretty much everything identical except for just a couple items.
It says 7 tone id for the m6.
I think i read or saw the mxt has 2 in prospecting mode,maybe the other 2 modes.
All in all,pretty much the same machine.
M6 has adjustable volume.
Would the all metal mode in the m6 be close to the prospecting mode in the mxt?
Would the all metal mode show the ground mineralization, and the black sand vdi.
Tough call.

Last edited:

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The biggest difference between the two machines is that the MXT is a threshold machine and the M6 is silent search. I have had both detectors and in my dirt the performance is relatively the same with the MXT maybe being a little deeper but not by much. The M6 in the coin mode with trigger forward gives you tone ID that the MXT does not offer. The MXT in Relic mode trigger forward will give you two tones at 0 discrimination with positive numbers being high tone and low tone for negative numbers. I always ran the MXT in Relic Mode trigger forward with disc set at 1st preset which basically nulls everything under the disc and give you a nice high tone for good targets. The MXT has a prospecting mode but I never used it. In Coin mode the MXT is a single tone machine. I recently purchased a MX5 which gives me the threshold with tracking, 8 tone ID and a backlight. Neither the regular MXT or the M6 have a backlight and in Texas late afternoon to evening hunts are much cooler. I am a coinshooter and so far have been really impressed with this machine however, I dont have much experience with it. I cant't see any performance difference so far. I had a Prizm 6T which was one of my favorite Whites machines ever and the MX6 seems like a 6T on steroids that uses the Eclipse series coils which gives you a lot of coils to choose from. In summary, the MXT and the M6 are really good machines with great depth and good target ID. Out of the 2 detectors I chose to keep my M6 that I had Whites modify it to be on the MXT style upper rod because I preferred the tone ID option.

OP
OP
roadrunner

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks pescadore.
I think I read your post on your mod.
I really like the m6,but I do a little prospecting,but I have a vsat for that if I want to nugget shoot.
So maybe an M6 then.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I DONT WANT TO WORK , I WANT TO GO OUT WITH MXT ALL PRO AND PLAY. TRY THE MXT PRO WITH 8X6 SEF THATS WHAT I USE AND PRETTY DANG GOOD COMBO.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured out how to add external threshold with no desoldering or soldering so I'm keeping my m6 instead of getting Mxt (would have to give up tones) or the Pro (put up alot more $ to boot).

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I figured out how to add external threshold with no desoldering or soldering so I'm keeping my m6 instead of getting Mxt (would have to give up tones) or the Pro (put up alot more $ to boot).

How does that work for you?

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well..works fine as far as I can tell, just got use to the hum, of other machines, felt like I was missing something without. Gonna take it out this weekend weather permitting. What's your email will shoot you pics, jhar

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Well..works fine as far as I can tell, just got use to the hum, of other machines, felt like I was missing something without. Gonna take it out this weekend weather permitting. What's your email will shoot you pics, jhar

I sent you a PM

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks, I will go the whites site.
And check around.

Ok,went to kellyco and used the comparison chart.
And to whites.
Pretty much everything identical except for just a couple items.
It says 7 tone id for the m6.
I think i read or saw the mxt has 2 in prospecting mode,maybe the other 2 modes.
All in all,pretty much the same machine.
M6 has adjustable volume.
Would the all metal mode in the m6 be close to the prospecting mode in the mxt?
Would the all metal mode show the ground mineralization, and the black sand vdi.
Tough call.

The only volume control on my M6 is from lowering sensitivity, and that loses deeper tones plus that crisp audio report on 6" coins. Without headphones with volume controls,,,I don't count the M6 as adjustable volume.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread