Want to ge at Whites MX5

FindsBuddy

Nov 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Want to ge at White's MX5

Hi guys,
i am planning to buy a new detector, after some weeks of research, reading reviews and forums i have found that the White's mx5 is the machine that best suits my needs.
I actually own a Fisher F5 but i don't really like it for various reasons.
Can anyone give me some more info about the MX5, any reason to don't buy it?
I am wondering why the MX5 isn't very popular and why some people doesn't like it so much compared it to his big brother MXT (which is out actually of my budget)

Here are some features of the MX5 that caught my attention:

-Backlight
-Suspend mode
-Pinpoint mode stay activated whitout pressing the button
-Can mount coils of other white's such mxt, v3 etc.
-Ground autotrack (which seems to work pretty good)
-Good depth compared to the F5
-Very fast recovery speed
-Battery pack is separated from the control box
-Wheater resistant
-Custom settings can be stored and maintained after machine reboot
-No knobs, i don't like knobs.
-14khz working frequency
-Adjustable Threshold like the F5
-Can set metric system as measure unit (I live in Europe)
-I have read White's customers support is excellent

I mainly hunt for relics and old coins (prior 1600, yeah Europe is full of that. ).

Please some advices, i apologize for any grammatical error.

Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You pretty much just listed all the reasons why I like theX-5. I had both the MXT-Pro and the MX-5 for a while, and after using both side by side I chose the MX-5. Someone will say the headphone jack location and the fact that you cannot lock ground tracking are a problem but it never has been for me. The 2 tone mode is very good at unmasking targets in iron infested sites and I really like the 8 tone audio for general coinshooting.

2 of the things I really like are the smooth, pleasant sounding, VCO pinpoint and the standby mode. One thing I will say is don't try to run it at full sensitivity. I usually run at 2-3 bars below max sens. It will get great depth and run very smoothly at that level.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FindsBuddy

Nov 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Fletch, thank you for your feedback, you convinced me even more.
For the headphone jack I am used to install an extension cable fixed with zip-straps that runs till the battery pack so i can plug the headphones from there.
This cheap solution was very handy for me, expecially with the F5 wrapped in his protection cloth (F5 has the headphone/coil jack under the controlbox).

M.

I will give a try to the mx5.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look at a used MXTpro myself the Whites metal box detectors are built like a tank, I'm sure if treated good it will outlast the plastic with all push button controls of the MX5 and buying a good used one wouldn't bother me at all as if you have a problem White's service is awesome and don't usually charge much for repair. I say the pro because if your looking for tone ID then the pro is the only MXT to have it but my MXT has two tone as I detect in relic mode, I can get dimes at 10"+ with a few being at a full 12" before not sure if the MX5 will do that or not. HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FindsBuddy

Nov 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, indeed the mxt looks robust like a tank.
Too bad that i cannot find a used mxt in my area, price for new is 870€+
Dimes at 10" is great depth, have you ever tried an air test with a dime?

Thanks

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In the neutral soil in my area I actually found the MX-5 to be the deeper of the 2.
I put a layer of Zagg screen protector over the buttons and the screen of all the machines I have ever owned that have that have s screen or keypad. So far it has worked well for me. I have a cirdura cover over the upper portion of the control box. Pound for pound it is built very solid. I had more trouble bending the metal stand on the MXT's upper housing than I have with the plastic housing of the MX-5.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FindsBuddy

Nov 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, i just had a conversation with a local shop.
They are official Fisher resellers and when i told them that i want to buy an MX5 they told me to avoid all white's machines unless i have already tried a particoular one and i LIKED it.

The guy said me that these low budget white's got lot of problems with mineralized soil, almost impossible to use.

I doubt that white's would ever sell a machine with these problems, my thought is that they want to push and sell only Fisher.

Fletch, you noticed any problem like that with your machine?

thanks

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your bending the metal stand then your putting more weight on it than the detector itself. HH

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's what I never could figure out I don't lean on the machine on the ground but after using it relic hunting in heavy wooded ghost town I noticed it was bent a little bit. I'm about as meticulous with my equipment as you can get.

FindsBuddy, I don't hunt much mineralized ground in my area, but Oregon is known for having some of the worst mineralization in the U.S. and I've been told Whites tests their machines in all types of conditions. You can pick up MX-5's used with plenty of transferable warranty for $400-450. Also all First Tecas machines do NOT carry a transferable warranty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FindsBuddy

Nov 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
So i finally bought the MX5!
I will get it in some days, found it used for 400$ with one year and half of warranty and battery+controlbox cover.
That guy is also selling a white's eclipse DD for extra 100 but for now i want to see if i like the machine, then i may install a DD.

Thank you all for the precious feedbacks.

M.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you will like the MX5. I have used Whites detectors for many years (in fact my first one in the 70's) and after trying the competition, I always come back. I like their quality machines made in the US and the best Customer Service IMHO. I have had a F5 and I think you will find that the MX5 will blow it out of the water. The only Fisher detector that I have owned and really liked was the CZ5 and it was a good one.

OP
OP
F

FindsBuddy

Nov 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, is pretty much what I aspect from this machine and you confirm that, i am just reading the owner manual once again.

At the end i also bought the extra dd coil eclipse for 40usd, and I will get the detector tomorrow.

The F5, it gave me some good finds, i've learn how to use it in deep, but i don't think that Fisher (at least low-mid range) are serious detectors, i may be wrong.

M.

OP
OP
F

FindsBuddy

Nov 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Anybody using the mx5 with the Garrett pinpoint? I read somewhere that they fight each others.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do fight each other, simply hit standby mode and she's quite as a mouse! Then when you stand up press the pinpoint button to go right back to hunt mode!

OP
OP
F

FindsBuddy

Nov 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, i got today the mx5. No time to test it on the field because of the rain.
At first look i like it it'solid and does not look like a toy like my old fisher.
There are two things that i don't like very much and doesn't look solid: the elbow cup seems te be weak and the also the plastics near the screw of the coil are too thin imo.
Tomorrow or tonight i will test it on field.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on your new detector! Good luck and Happy Hunting!!!

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mx5 and pro pointer at dont fight like my older pro pointer did :dontknow:

OP
OP
F

FindsBuddy

Nov 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, thanks for info. I will know soon about the pointer.
Actually i am fighting with the treshold.
How you use it guys?
My th is "cryspy" not a steady hum.
Not really sure how get an advantage from it, for now i can't tell the difference from something good or not, my other metal detectors were silenc machines. Confused.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, thanks for info. I will know soon about the pointer.
Actually i am fighting with the treshold.
How you use it guys?
My th is "cryspy" not a steady hum.
Not really sure how get an advantage from it, for now i can't tell the difference from something good or not, my other metal detectors were silenc machines. Confused.

Shouldn't be crispy, just an audible hum that will null out on disc'd items. You can turn it off if you would rather have a silent machine but realize that you may miss something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread