Been detecting for a week or so with the TREASUREpro. Have some questions

killeraxemannic

Greenie
Sep 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites TREASUREpro, Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to metal detecting so forgive me if these are things that are common knowledge.

1: Most targets seem to only ding with a swing to the left unless the target is really shallow. If I swing the coil back and forth over a target that I have a pretty good idea of where it is I only get the ding when going left. Right is usually silent. Is this normal?

2: Targets that are deep don't seem to ID correctly. I burred a few coins in our garden around 8 inches deep or so and the ID seems to jump around a lot. Pulling them in also isn't super consistent. Some times I swing over them and they ding no problem and sometimes they don't ding at all.

3: Iron that is discriminated out still makes noise most of the time. Seems like a lot of the soil here has lots of iron in it. Usually waking around I get a ding every 5 or 10 seconds. The display usually just has the arrow pointed to iron. Seems like if it was discriminated out it wouldn't make any noise?

4: If I turn on pinpointing in coin and jewelry mode it seems like if I touch the coil to the ground it goes silent even if I have a really good signal.

5: This might be my area but I'm getting tons of hits at the very top end of the scale that register as dollar and aren't really repeatable enough to dig. I can usually go in to pinpointing mode and it usually puts them at about 8.5 in or so. I have dug a few but never found anything.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your learning quick killer. That's the 5 things that everyone battles in this hobby. Stay at it another 30 years and the list gets much longer. It takes time and patience and you will learn all the querks. Good luck out there!

OP
OP
K

killeraxemannic

Greenie
Sep 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. So all the things I have described are normal then?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to metal detecting so forgive me if these are things that are common knowledge.

1: Most targets seem to only ding with a swing to the left unless the target is really shallow. If I swing the coil back and forth over a target that I have a pretty good idea of where it is I only get the ding when going left. Right is usually silent. Is this normal?

2: Targets that are deep don't seem to ID correctly. I burred a few coins in our garden around 8 inches deep or so and the ID seems to jump around a lot. Pulling them in also isn't super consistent. Some times I swing over them and they ding no problem and sometimes they don't ding at all.

3: Iron that is discriminated out still makes noise most of the time. Seems like a lot of the soil here has lots of iron in it. Usually waking around I get a ding every 5 or 10 seconds. The display usually just has the arrow pointed to iron. Seems like if it was discriminated out it wouldn't make any noise?

4: If I turn on pinpointing in coin and jewelry mode it seems like if I touch the coil to the ground it goes silent even if I have a really good signal.

5: This might be my area but I'm getting tons of hits at the very top end of the scale that register as dollar and aren't really repeatable enough to dig. I can usually go in to pinpointing mode and it usually puts them at about 8.5 in or so. I have dug a few but never found anything.

1: when you get what may be a good one way signal, turn 90 degrees and swing over it and see if it changes.

2: MD are much better now a days but they have limits and are effected by the amount of mineralization in the ground and of course the more you spend the better they work

3: Yep, iron that has been in the ground oxidizes can create a halo of corrosion that becomes conductive and shows up as a high tone. This is why discrimination can be bad, if you discriminate iron, you can not hear the iron tone just before the high tone that lets you know this is not really a good target.

4: You must go into pinpoint mode AWAY from your target other wise it won't pick it up. Try moving to the left or right and raising the coil a foot or so, change to pinpoint mode and drop back down and over you target.

5: +95 hits are either halo wrap around from old big iron or Hot Rocks.. which are minerals that are conductive. One such item is coal coke, very common around old homes that heated with coal.

Last edited:

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You will find that most one way signals are junk however like Airscapes advised, approach the target from different angles. You may have a good target that is masked so the only real way to know would be to dig it.

Whites machines do not do well with freshly buried targets. In almost any machine out there you will not get as good a reading on an 8 inch buried target compared to a target at 4 inches. ID #'s may vary and sounds may be choppy. This is normal with most machines. A small coin at 8 inches is probably pushing the limits of the TPro. It is a good machine but IMHO, not a particularly deep machine.

I have noticed the same thing with my TPro. I think I read somewhere that it might have to do with the tracking but haven't found a solution to it yet. I agree with the iron discriminated out, it shouldn't make a noise.

Start your sweep to the left or right of the target when pinpointing like Airscapes said.

Iron wrap giving you a high tone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

killeraxemannic

Greenie
Sep 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like you guys answered my questions pretty well so thanks!!! The only thing that is still concerning is the pinpointing thing. I do start it off to the side and then bring it over the target. It doesn't really have anything to do with that. It has to do with actually physically touching the coil to the ground. It almost acts like touching the coil to the ground shorts it out or something... Whole machine goes silent as soon as the coil touches the ground even if it has a really good signal. As soon as the coil is up off the ground the sound comes right back. Seems to only do that in Coin and Jewelry mode. It's an issue because there have been a couple times when I was pinpointing and accidentally got too close to the ground and it went silent and I didn't realize what happened so I moved to a different spot thinking I wasn't in the right place and it took way too long to realize that I was in the right spot to begin with.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like you guys answered my questions pretty well so thanks!!! The only thing that is still concerning is the pinpointing thing. I do start it off to the side and then bring it over the target. It doesn't really have anything to do with that. It has to do with actually physically touching the coil to the ground. It almost acts like touching the coil to the ground shorts it out or something... Whole machine goes silent as soon as the coil touches the ground even if it has a really good signal. As soon as the coil is up off the ground the sound comes right back. Seems to only do that in Coin and Jewelry mode. It's an issue because there have been a couple times when I was pinpointing and accidentally got too close to the ground and it went silent and I didn't realize what happened so I moved to a different spot thinking I wasn't in the right place and it took way too long to realize that I was in the right spot to begin with.

I have never experienced that issue and I always keep my coil somewhat scrubbing the ground. I would call Whites and talk to them about it.

OP
OP
K

killeraxemannic

Greenie
Sep 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never experienced that issue and I always keep my coil somewhat scrubbing the ground. I would call Whites and talk to them about it.

I was at first thinking it might be an issue with the coil but it only does it in the one mode so I really have no idea what would cause it. I am a little worried about the warranty. I bought it online and the dealer warranty card wasn't filled out. Hopefully White's will still talk to me.

LilMikey

Jun 16, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at first thinking it might be an issue with the coil but it only does it in the one mode so I really have no idea what would cause it. I am a little worried about the warranty. I bought it online and the dealer warranty card wasn't filled out. Hopefully White's will still talk to me.

I bought mine from a local dealer but the detector was shipped directly to me from a Whites regional distributor. The warranty card was not filled out and I know they opened the box to install a coil cover. I didn't send in the warranty card but I did register on Whites site. Don't know why they wouldn't talk to you, the TreasurePro has only been out for a couple of months so they know it under warranty.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah you just have to complete the warranty registration online. It's painless and quick.

OP
OP
K

killeraxemannic

Greenie
Sep 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I contacted the dealer I bought it from and they gave me all of their dealer info to register so looks like I am in good shape. I have been working long hours for the last couple days so I am going to play with it a bit more and see if it does it in a variety of situations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread