Which (older) one ?

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi all,

I am an avid C&J beach hunter.

I use a PI unit for the wet stuff, and some single frequency VLF units for high tide mark and dry sand.

To hunt for coins and jewelry, I still swing my Classic III on regular basis.

The Classic III SL really shines in the dry/damp sand and produced some very good finds lately. I am still amazed at how good this veteran detector is, compared to my more recent units.

Not to mention the stunning depth (even with no mod) and seemingly endless battery life.:icon_thumright:

My dealer has two White's detectors in his 2nd hand offer.

The first one is an M6, the second a DFX.

I will add that I have a high mileage with sectrum XLT's, although I do not own them any more.

That being said, I'm looking to make a choice. On one hand, ye good'ole CL III SL is proof enough that simple, uncomplicated detectors can and will do the job.

I want to try one of those higher frequency detectors from White's, and want compatibility with the battery system, and I like the design of these older units.

I could buy a Coinmaster GT or a Prizm 6T instead, but I don't know these machines too well, and don't know how the can compare with the CL III, M6 and DFX.

So my interrogations are :

-Is there a real advantage in ID ing gold rings using normalisation OFF and 15 Khz with the DFX.

-Would the M6 (with an appealing 40 hours of batt.life) be sufficient to complete my CL III SL ? I understand it's not as deep as the DFX, probably a little less deep than the Classic, but I am more looking to improve in the Jewelry department.

-Would any of the two recenter detectors (6T Coin GT) be a better choice (and why? )

Thank you for any input-experiences-suggestions you might give me on this matter.

Cheers

Grumpy.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DFX, it is a duel frequency XLT with so you already know it fairly well. at home in wet or dry and both at the same time. full line of coils available and should be selling for around $300-$400
Note: I started with the Coinmaster GT, DFX is a decade older and light years ahead of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Olegrumpy

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Thank you airscapes.

I was concerned about not knowing the two more recent models, I thought the 6T had received some pretty good reviews.

Yes, I know the DFX a bit, I have one hunting friend who swings one and we often compare signals especially when I swing the Explorer II. The Explorer II will be traded in, hopefully, as me old arms can't swing it properly, and it requires slow sweep speed, this has a negative influence on the final coins count (I hunt for clad & jewelry only).

Cheers

Grumpy

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with the M6 over the 6T if it were me, the M6 is built like a tank and has lots of coil options for it from both whites and detech. HH

OP
OP
Olegrumpy

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well I finally went with the DFX (like these White's designs), and keep an eye on the M6. One never knows...

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, try and find a copy of Digging Deeper with the DFX it was worth the money, have read it cover to cover 3 times and been back to reference things as they come up and am very happy I have it. I have read post from people how have owned the DFX for years and just use the defaults as they really do not understand and probably don't want to understand how to make it work to it's fullest potential.

jwbro

Mar 25, 2014
Blue Ridge, Va
Detector(s) used
White's QXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What coil choices do i have for the QXT Pro? I cant find much info on the old girl, but she works like a charm!

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
Well i guess no one knows anything about the QXT Pro!!

The same coils (Blue Max 4X6 DD, Bullseye 5.3, Blue Max 950 and 1500, Royal 8") as the older 6.59khz machines. Whites still sells some of them on their website, others can be found on eBay or the board classified sections occasionally.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread