MXT PRO or maybe the TDI SL 12 Pros & Cons

Astro Nut

Dec 7, 2013
Burson, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at buying either the MXT PRO or the TDI SL 12. I will be doing mostly coin and jewelry and gold in old streams and dry river beds. I have had several detectors
several years ago. I know there is a pretty good price difference between the two. I do not mind spending more for a quality unit. I am not interested in the all computer models ( V3i series or the VX3 ). I have known several that were not happy with them and wished they would have got the models where they could make there own adjustments manually and less confusing. I have seen the MXT series in operation and very straight forward and easy to use. I have never seen the TDI SL 12 model and am looking for feedback on that detector pros and cons. Appreciate any info you have. Thanks
---------------
Bill

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
TDI is real deep and sensitive to small targets. Not good if you get caught out in the rain though or run into a water hole you'd like to get into. Same thing with the MXT. Great for prospecting as well and has a VDI screen, not as deep as the TDI.

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
On the TDI sl, invest I a small "Folded" elliptical coil for nugget shooting tight area's and small nuggets. The TDI sl will see much deeper than the MXT. Beach hunting, plan on digging deep for targets and handles mineralization better than the VLF detectors. Both are Excellent detectors,,, save and get both. each one helps the other depending on location, ground mineralization & EMI :)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's V3 + RNB 2900
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never had a TDI SL, but if you are hunting streams and river beds I would definitely start out with a VLF rather than a PI machine for the discrimination alone. I have had a wide range of White's Machines all that were good. I find the MXT to be the most solid buy out of all of their machines. It's a very good detector at a very reasonable price. Since White's is now offering the MXSport at $799, you might check that out also.

OP
OP
A

Astro Nut

Dec 7, 2013
Burson, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting the Whites MXT ALL PRO detector with several other coils. I did a lot of research on many other detectors and found that the MXT ALL PRO is the best of the ones I considered buying. I know it will be fun to have and learn about all it can do. Thanks
--------------
Bill

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is great on coins and jewelry with great depth, never nugget hunted where I'm at but I'm guessing one could do that pretty good as well with practice. I wouldn't feel outgunned against the V3i at all in the depth department with my MXT. HH

Jan 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's V3 + RNB 2900
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a hanover brass CS buckle buried in my test garden at roughly 18 inches since that's what the DIV guys always talk about 18" this 18" that. Anyways, I can hear it with the V3 and the MXT, but all you are going to hear is a pause in the threshold. That's why it's so important to have your machine properly balanced and the threshold solid. With the V3 and the Detech 13" coil I can get it to ring up in the high tone intermittently. but I dig those all day long.

Anywhere you go you will have to dig everything until you see get the hang of it. Everyone has different hearing so it's hard to tell you what to you look for. You'll just have to play it trial and error until you catch on.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
A

Astro Nut

Dec 7, 2013
Burson, Ca.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it will be a learning curve but being retired I have plenty of time to play and have fun learning. I bought the book THE MXT EDGE and it has excellent info on the operation of the detector.
I also have the Detech 13" Ultimate coil coming saw so many good reports on this coil. Thanks for the feedback appreciated
---------------
Bill :occasion14:

Jan 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's V3 + RNB 2900
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you are in a wide open place I let the coil slide right across the grass and leaves. You will get great depth with the Detech 13". Let us know what you find with it. I have been digging more dimes and buttons than ever before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread