mx5 discrimination

markt67

Dec 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a new mx5 early dec. My question is whether or not my detector is working correctly? Went out Thursday to old cellar holes. Had the discrimination set to disc irony Metal.mostly just nails pretty much everything 18 and lower .
But my detector beeps at everything from -90 thru 99 .Ok here's the question. Should it sound on discriminated items? It doesn't on air tests. Thanks ... from so.maine

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No it shouldn't beep on what you have disced out that's what it's for. If it's not doing it on air tests you have something else in the soil. Is it still giving an iron tone? Are you sure it's not beeping on higher conductivity targets? It will still show the lower disced targets ID on the screen but it shouldn't be giving an iron tone. You could also be getting wrap around at 98-99 from the iron. Disc those numbers out too.

OP
OP
M

markt67

Dec 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the discriminating set for wrap around taking out 90s when it sounds its not a high tone I run in 2 tone I'll keep working with it. Probably not the machine .still ten times the treasure master pro I had. thanks for reply .mark t.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the discriminating set for wrap around taking out 90s when it sounds its not a high tone I run in 2 tone I'll keep working with it. Probably not the machine .still ten times the treasure master pro I had. thanks for reply .mark t.
I just found this Whites forum today so that's the reason for this late post.I read your post with much interest as I got a new MX5 last Oct.and am still on a learning curve with it.I also notch out everything from+5 to -99.Most times I get a low tone over rejected target but often a high tone chirp or beep thinking I passed a good target I go back slower than just get low tone.I guess it's that wrap around effect,but very annoying and wish Whites wouldn't have this (feature?)in the MX5. Wondering,have you found any coins deeper than5 1/2 in.hole depth wise?I haven't,but trash targets,yes.Thanks

OP
OP
M

markt67

Dec 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't gotten any coins more than 4.5 inches went out today got nails one horse shoe under a big piece of granite came in 40s one small buckle vdi.67 to 74 at about 5 inches a lot of junk comes in 50s thru 80 or so until you flip it out of the ground then it will go down in the negative side it's awfully irritating when it tone on everything. Air tests I can adjust to get it not to tone on small nails but put them in the ground and it tones. My coin master pro won't tone on anything descriminated but the icon still show what it is. I think for 279. The coin master pro is twice the machine. Contacted whites on their website asked them . And it's been a week and still no reply ..THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE . Sales been made check cleared move on. Garrett looking pretty good . Last fall I bought a treasure master pro .JUNK. dec. Got a new mx5 . Feb bought my brother a mx6. Thanks for the reply and allowing me to vent. Mark T.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but I do own the MX5 and will try to offer what scant advice that I can.

1. Call Whites. I wouldn't rely solely upon an email before I decided the machine was no good. If it is not functioning as it should, Whites will repair it for you (the warranty is two years from date of new purchase).

2. Whites has a forum (google - whites electronics forum) with a lot of very knowledgeable people. Someone, or more likely - several someones - will be able to help you out.

The MX5 is a busy machine; meaning it does talk quite a bit. I like that because it lets me know what is going on under the coil. I always hunt with 8 tones when using discrimination, and sometimes the machine will give a brief high tone over something that has been discriminated out. It doesn't sound quite right though, but does give me reason to investigate that spot a bit more. From there I decide whether I wish to dig or not. On many occasions I've found that the high tone was a good target - mixed in with junk. I'm always a bit amazed when I find a good target surrounded by junk.

I don't use two tone, but I believe the high tone begins (in that mode) with the first accepted VDI.

I frequently hunt in all metal mode (single tone) - provided the area is NOT full of trash. When a potential target is located, I take note of the VDI and switch to discriminate to see if I get a high tone with a similar VDI. The all metal mode helps me figure out the rough size of the target and (supposedly) goes deeper. I can't verify the deeper part, but have no reason to doubt it.

Ground balance makes a big difference. I know the machine has auto ground balance, but it really helps if you get a good ground balance at the start.

I believe the stock threshold setting is 20. For most places I've hunted, that is too high. I sometimes go as low as 5 or 6 on the threshold setting and almost never above 14. I have no idea if the threshold is part of the problem you're having, but it certainly makes my MX5 chatter constantly if I have it set too high.

I run my sensitivity about two notches below the top level most places - just enough so the threshold is barely heard in the background while I'm detecting.

I think the deepest good target that I've found was right at 11 - 12 inches. I've dug quite a few quarters and nickels that were around 10 inches. I think my deepest dime (or copper penny) was in the 8 inch area. I do dig zincs, but don't believe I've ever dug one that was more than 4-5 inches down. Just today I dug a quarter that was 8 inches down. I thought it was silver because the VDI was 84-86 (usually 83 on a clad quarter). It wasn't silver but I'll take all the quarters I can find.

Sweep speed also makes a difference. I've noticed that on those occasions when I get that off-sounding high tone and go back for a second look, I sweep a little slower to really investigate what the machine is telling me. When it's junk, the slower sweep speed never gives me that brief, weird, blip of a high tone.

It is entirely possible that the MX5 is not the machine for you. There is nothing wrong with that, if that is the case. It seems that most people around here hunt with a Minelab (either Etrac or CTX 3030). They're fine machines (I had both) but they're not for me; I just couldn't jell with them in the way that I have with the V3i and the MX5.

Detecting is a lot more fun when you're at peace with your machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread