Whites coinmaster GT depth

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally use a Fisher cz20 for waterhunting and a fisher 1236-x2 for dry sand and park coinshooting, as well as ghost towning in the florida scrub, but I've been wanting a backup machine with ID and a wet salt sand mode...has anyone used a coin gt and can give an opinion on it's depth capability?
I've used white's machines in yrs past, and while they had excellent ID and disc abilities, their depth was just adequate.
Maybe their recent models are much improved in this regard? Tks.

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had a chance to try the beach mode yet, so can't help you there . As for depth , the deepest coin i've recovered with it was a washington quarter at 9 inches. Definitely not the deepest machine out there but i love it. I've since upgraded but its nice knowing i have a reliable back-up. The biggest downside to the GT(for me at least) there are only 2 coil options, the standard 9.5" concentric that comes with it and the 4x6 shooter coil. Also not sure how you like to hunt but i kept the GT in all-metal mode, sensitivity 1 or 2 notches from max ,and tracking locked. the manual says you don't have to ground balance but i always do.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the next step up the MX-5 and absolutely loved it. There is a huge variety of coils for it since it accepts same coil as mxt. It has a beach mode, standby mode, very good audio and depth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info, a quarter at 9 inches in the soil is plenty good, even in good ground. I generally like to set my discrimination so it just starts to break up on bottle caps, unless I'm in a clean area and looking for artifacts, then it's min or no disc.
I had considered the mx5, but then whites ended a promo where they gave you $100 off if you bought a $500 or up detector. Who knows, maybe they'll have another special.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GT is ok, I moved up to the DFX so the GT is backup .. depending on the soil.. ID is iffy at about 5" but in the air it is a good id at 9" if that means anything to you. The new treauremaster comes with a 10"dd which is also the same frequency as the CMGT so now there are 3 whites coils for it.
If you are just looking for a loaner backup the GT is very easy to use, I was iding and digging clad on the 3rd swing when I first go it. If you plan on using this new machine more than a little, I would step up the the mX5.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info, a quarter at 9 inches in the soil is plenty good, even in good ground. I generally like to set my discrimination so it just starts to break up on bottle caps, unless I'm in a clean area and looking for artifacts, then it's min or no disc.
I had considered the mx5, but then whites ended a promo where they gave you $100 off if you bought a $500 or up detector. Who knows, maybe they'll have another special.

I saw one with 1 year warranty and 5.3 eclipse for $425 yesterday.

OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I'm curious to get more info on the new white's mx-sport, the shallow-waterproof model that's built on the MX topology. If the price isn't too steep I'd consider it.

Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new treauremaster comes with a 10"dd which is also the same frequency as the CMGT so now there are 3 whites coils for it.

in that case ,forget the GT get the treasure master. Others have suggested the MX5, i do not. The MXSport does looks very interesting .$750 -800 is looking like the price range for it.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poppa has a GT in MARKETPLACE on this forum with Sunray probe for $350. That seems like a good deal.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found it deep, heavy and noisy compared to others I've used. Any manual ground balancing machine will give the same results as Whites beach mode. Autotracking doesn't work the whole spectrum, and the beach mode just allows the tracking to go from 60 to zero, where regular tracking goes from 99 down to 40. Manual GB allows to adjust anywhere on the scale. The advantage for Whites is that it self adjusts over manual retuning, but I found retuning more accurate.

OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. A new England detector megastore will sell me the GT with a coil cover for $300 shipped, but I think I'll look at a few other options, incl. The treasuremaster. If the MX sport is sold at the $800 pricepoint i'd rather get the surfmaster df pi, it has a stellar reputation, and i'd just live with digging some junk.
When you know 2 different guys that LOVE that machine and clean up with it, you know it's good.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Air tests MXT 10.5" on quarter, MX5 11.5" on quarter, MX Sport 12.5" on quarter. Info from White's. HH, George (MN)

Hentree

Greenie
Mar 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new at MD. I have just upgrade from a whites prizm II to a CMGT. I can't wait to use it. I hope I made the right choice. I found a lot of stuff with the prizmII, but just felt I needed to up grade to a better detector. Any thoughts out there if I made the right choice on my upgrade? I like to coin shooting parks, schools and beach areas.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you will like the multiple tones, and faster recovery speed between targets. I have never used a prizm but had read they are very slow as far as recovery time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread