MXT coils - 4X6 DD Eclipse or Eclipse 5.3 for trashy areas?

Gen. Breckinridge

Feb 26, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT SunRay DX-1 Garrett ACE 250, Fisher VLF-555D Pro, Fisher VLF-552D
I want to get a good coil for hunting coins in trashy areas and want to stick with White's products. Does anyone have both coils (4X6 DD Eclipse & Eclipse 5.3) and if so, how do they compare? I have the standard 9.5 coil and the new Super 12" coil although I have not had it out for a try yet. I couldn't pass up the buy with the coupon that came with the MXT. I might add that the MXT is awesome!

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
I do not have the 4X6 coil. But the 5.3 is on my MXT 90% of the time. When in prospecting mode what are your ground readings? If they're in the 70's and up the DD is your best bet. If lower than that the 5.3 "most likely" will give you a bit more depth. I say "most likely" simply because there are numerous other factors involved in how much depth one will achieve in different hunting situations.
Here's a link to a site with a lot more info than I can provide.

http://www.findmall.com/list.php?25

OP
OP
Gen. Breckinridge

Gen. Breckinridge

Feb 26, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Thanks Slow Sweeper,
That is what I understood from all I have read. The ground here has very low mineralization in the area I hunt. There are areas of the county that have high iron concentrations but I don't hunt there since there are few "interesting" sites. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
If you have loads of trash the 4X6 would be a better choice due to the thinner scan pattern ,thus the coins that would be close to the trash items would be read by the detector.
I have the 5.3 and a 4.5X7 ExCelerator( close to the same size as the 4X6 White's) for my M6 and the oval coil works much better in finding coins next to trash items than the 5.3.

For a test:
I had scanned my yard and got a pulltab reading with the 5.3 on my M6, I marked the spot and then changed the coil to the oval coil, and 1 1/2 inches next to the pulltab, but 2 inches deeper was a dime reading that the 5.3 didn't pick up. I dug both up and the dime was a 1940 Merc. I wouldn't have dug at all with the 5.3 coil.

OP
OP
Gen. Breckinridge

Gen. Breckinridge

Feb 26, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Thanks Dimeman,
That sealed the deal for me. I hunted a really bad area today with the MXT and the meter continiously read iron. What a let down since it was an lot that has had houses on it since the late 1700s and no one has ever hunted it. It was a bummer but the ground read about 67 in the prospecting mode. I guess I couldn't expect to do good there. I'm ordering the 4X6DD in the morning.
Thanks again,
Ken, WS4V

Ammietuar

Sep 18, 2005
Suffolk UK
Detector(s) used
MXT/PI Pro/Garrett GS
...i ordered the 4x6 for my mxt last week, and it came in just today... i tossed it on and in the 20 or so mins i had before dark went to try it out in the fornt yard... now that ive been living in this place for about a year now and had the 9.5 inch coil on it the whole time id thought id cleaned the yard pretty well accept from right infornt of the porch where there was tons of crazy signals and false ones from the iron posts... well i started out away from the house a bit and found some 22 shells real fast, then moved closer and BAM!! i covered about 4 feet and found 7 pennies (1 of them a wheat and another almost '61)and what i at first thought was a buffalo nickel, but turned out to be just a button fakey..lol... soon as the sun comes up imma see what else is out there...

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
The 4x6 sounds like the way to go. I am going to look at a new white's detector this weekend, leaning torward the MXT or M6 and will be looking into that coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread