Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just chiming in on my 3 hunts with an updated machine, beach and field. I purchased this unit because I wanted a waterproof machine for the beach, lakes, and rainy days. I could not get a ground grab icon to appear using all the different programs. It pulled targets out of an iron infested field that I have hit hard using my DFX, and MXT. Not saying that its better, it just did. There are always targets to find even in a beat up hammered field, the one degree. I used, coin and jewelry, and the relic program in the field to start. In the relic program I used, Reject Volume at 10%, with iron just about everywhere. It allowed me to release my death grip on the new machine somewhat, the continuous high volume chatter of the iron volume mixed with the wrap arounds subsided and made it easier listening for the higher volume good tones, very cool feature. When a target was found in relic mode I would switch it to coin and jewelry mode and it still responded to the good signal in the midst of the iron. The one thing I noticed and sent my first machine back for was the pinpoint mode. It still does not respond in a full clear tone on smaller deeper targets, barely audible, maybe its just me. Any one else notice this? On the beach, using beach program, I locked the tracking in at the waters edge. It was stable in the wet sand just had to adjust the sensitivity. When I moved up into the dry sand it started chattering. I had to unlock it and reset the ground balance and it was fine. Did not get into the water with it yet, to cold. It identified pocket change with no problem. Art

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great write up Art! :occasion14:

OP
OP
artyfacts

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry, Just finished trying everything I could think of to get a better response in the pinpoint mode. I did an air test on a 5/8 inch flat button. It picked it up at 10 to 11 inches and a little further, great air test. I also air tested with the same button using the pinpoint function both ways, locked and by also holding it down, strong at 8 inches, barely audible at around 9 inches. Shouldn't the pinpoint tone be just as loud at the 10 to 11 inch mark? In the field I dug a small button at around 7 inches, while pinpointing the signal, it was weak at best. I also tested in my 3x2x2 foot deep sand filled test area. Dropped the same button in a seven inch hole and packed it down tight. No problem finding the button but again in pinpoint mode the tone was minuscule and left me straining to hear it. Calling Whites tomorrow about the discrepancy. Art

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never really seen a non-motion pinpoint mode have less depth performance than the primary search mode on any detector. If a detector can see the target in search mode, then I have generally been able to use the pinpoint feature. But the fact is that in general they are definitely two different processes, so, in theory at least, it is possible that they may have optimized the pinpoint feature at the expense of some depth performance. I will have to test this out myself, I have not run across it in real world searching, but most of my targets have been a lot shallower than your flat button test.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Already tested in Beach mode at Cocoa Beach, as soon as coil his water it is overload, had to turn sensitivity to 3 to get it in water still chartering and got depth of maybe 3 inches at most.......

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Did it do any better on the wet sand?

The MXS did better in somewhat wet salt sand of east coast central Florida. At Max sensitivity, a considerable amount of chatter was present but various targets did ring through. Depth ranged from 3 inches on very thin 10K pinky ring to 7 inches on a 14K wedding band to 8 inches on a nickel and 9 inches on a quarter. Turning the sensitivity down to 7 stabilized the MXS but the detection decreased to a maximum depth of 3-5 inches.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that an upgraded or original firmware MXS?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I am going to finally pull the trigger on getty my unit fixed.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The MXS did better in somewhat wet salt sand of east coast central Florida. At Max sensitivity, a considerable amount of chatter was present but various targets did ring through. Depth ranged from 3 inches on very thin 10K pinky ring to 7 inches on a 14K wedding band to 8 inches on a nickel and 9 inches on a quarter. Turning the sensitivity down to 7 stabilized the MXS but the detection decreased to a maximum depth of 3-5 inches.

Just what I needed to hear.... money stays in the bank for now!
Cliff

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry, Just finished trying everything I could think of to get a better response in the pinpoint mode. I did an air test on a 5/8 inch flat button. It picked it up at 10 to 11 inches and a little further, great air test. I also air tested with the same button using the pinpoint function both ways, locked and by also holding it down, strong at 8 inches, barely audible at around 9 inches. Shouldn't the pinpoint tone be just as loud at the 10 to 11 inch mark? In the field I dug a small button at around 7 inches, while pinpointing the signal, it was weak at best. I also tested in my 3x2x2 foot deep sand filled test area. Dropped the same button in a seven inch hole and packed it down tight. No problem finding the button but again in pinpoint mode the tone was minuscule and left me straining to hear it. Calling Whites tomorrow about the discrepancy. Art

I just did the same test using a 5/8 flat button on my main machine and using the pin point mode I am getting a lot more distance than 10 or 11 inches, Some thing is seriously not right with the MXS, When you consider the pin point mode is the strongest mode on a metal detector the distance you got gives me very serious doubts in what people claim with this machine and that it is still not fixed,

Thank you for your report,

john

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Pinpoint has good distance too.
Make sure you are away from EMI that is all I can think of because my distance in the house varies big time compared to outside.
It is a HOT machine you can hear all the chatter when you crank it up inside.
Also I downloaded the MXT Pro manual to read for fun and I read you need to have Track Locked when doing air test maybe that applies to the MXS too.

Last edited:

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Pinpoint has good distance too.
Make sure you are away from EMI that is all I can think of because my distance in the house varies big time compared to outside.
It is a HOT machine you can hear all the chatter when you crank it up inside.

So what distance do you call good ?

Also If you are in tracking with the MXT Pro and you use the pin point mode it will Lock the Tracking for as long as you are using the Pin point mode, The only time you need to lock the tracking is if you are testing the detecting modes.

hope this helps

john

Last edited:
OP
OP
artyfacts

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used an updated machine to start. No EMF's in the field, testing bed the same, air test the same. I was using an updated firmware machine the first time around. I noticed that the machine found a button with a good response but couldn't get a good pinpoint from all angles. This happened more than once in the field. Larger objects closer to the surface it screamed in the way it is suppose to. Whites customer service was called, I was told the first time that there was a problem with that mode. I then talked with Whites again and they shipped me a brand new machine. By the way, Whites customer service has always gone beyond the norm, great customer service. The new machine worked identical in the field, no response to hardly a whisper on smaller targets in the field, in test pit the same. The air test with the second MX was the clincher. This thread was started solely to point out the pinpoint mode.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used an updated machine to start. No EMF's in the field, testing bed the same, air test the same. I was using an updated firmware machine the first time around. I noticed that the machine found a button with a good response but couldn't get a good pinpoint from all angles. This happened more than once in the field. Larger objects closer to the surface it screamed in the way it is suppose to. Whites customer service was called, I was told the first time that there was a problem with that mode. I then talked with Whites again and they shipped me a brand new machine. By the way, Whites customer service has always gone beyond the norm, great customer service. The new machine worked identical in the field, no response to hardly a whisper on smaller targets in the field, in test pit the same. The air test with the second MX was the clincher. This thread was started solely to point out the pinpoint mode.

Thanks for that Art,

Well something is wrong with the pin point set up, It should be able to see/Go as far as the All Metal mode does in Air, after reading some other posts by a few folks I am wondering if the Pin point power can be turned up even more by the factory, Because for it to have any depth in the ground at pin pointing it needs to fade out completely at twice that depth,

I hope it gets sorted out soon Art.

john

OP
OP
artyfacts

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that Art,

Well something is wrong with the pin point set up, It should be able to see/Go as far as the All Metal mode does in Air, after reading some other posts by a few folks I am wondering if the Pin point power can be turned up even more by the factory, Because for it to have any depth in the ground at pin pointing it needs to fade out completely at twice that depth,
john

Im still waiting for a response from Whites on this pinpoint issue. I was told it was going to the experts and that I would be notified.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Im still waiting for a response from Whites on this pinpoint issue. I was told it was going to the experts and that I would be notified.

Yeah it seems there is a lot going on at present with Whites, I really want to see this one Fly when the get it sorted, But I know they are busy Because I know they were testing another machine a while back and someone let the cat out the bag today else where, But I have been holding off from buying the MXS until they get it running right, But it will good when it's done, Apart from the issues I think the waiting game is the worst part of it all, But as you know Whites will do the right thing by everyone,

Fingers crossed for ya Mike,, Lets us know how it pans out.

Take care,, John

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the NEW Machine rumor?

Yeah it seems there is a lot going on at present with Whites, I really want to see this one Fly when the get it sorted, But I know they are busy Because I know they were testing another machine a while back and someone let the cat out the bag today else where, But I have been holding off from buying the MXS until they get it running right, But it will good when it's done, Apart from the issues I think the waiting game is the worst part of it all, But as you know Whites will do the right thing by everyone,

Fingers crossed for ya Mike,, Lets us know how it pans out.

Take care,, John

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, but I knew about this one back in August, but we will all see soon enough,

john

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread