Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want the threshold barely audible as the deep targets have to break threshold to be heard, even running the gain too high will give too much noise to hear those really deep whisper targets. I try and run at +2 gain for depth but when you have bad EMI it can give you too much noise too hear those whisper targets so you'll have to lower the gain some. HH

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT PRO,
Whites MXT TRACKER E-SERIES
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want the threshold barely audible as the deep targets have to break threshold to be heard, even running the gain too high will give too much noise to hear those really deep whisper targets. I try and run at +2 gain for depth but when you have bad EMI it can give you too much noise too hear those whisper targets so you'll have to lower the gain some. HH

I understand, but what I'm asking is: regardless of the threshold volume adjusted by the knob on the machine, can you adjust at the headphones?

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you. HH

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand, but what I'm asking is: regardless of the threshold volume adjusted by the knob on the machine, can you adjust at the headphones?

I agree with wingmaster, Of coarse you can do it the way you want to but you will loose targets, And by running the threshold high you are removing the reason for having a threshold in the first place making it useless, Robbing your MXT of 3 to 5 inches of Depth maybe more.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can adjust the headphones as well just make sure you adjust the threshold on the detector first, I run my headphones as high as they will go to not miss anything. You can get headphones that have a limiter so the overloads won't blow your ears off and really loud noises won't be heard. HH

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can adjust the headphones as well just make sure you adjust the threshold on the detector first, I run my headphones as high as they will go to not miss anything. You can get headphones that have a limiter so the overloads won't blow your ears off and really loud noises won't be heard. HH[/QUOTE

Wasn't sure if I was asking my question correctly. By your answer, I suppose I did. I just need to find the sweet spot for threshold volume. Even with the 13" coil I only get about 7" depth. Can this be due to my ground balance being, 92?

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with wingmaster, Of coarse you can do it the way you want to but you will loose targets, And by running the threshold high you are removing the reason for having a threshold in the first place making it useless, Robbing your MXT of 3 to 5 inches of Depth maybe more.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of silent threshold?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are the advantages/disadvantages of silent threshold?

I use silent search (DFX) not sure if it is the same on the MXT, in places like sports fields.. I am not digging anything deep and don't need the added audio fatigue.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can adjust the headphones as well just make sure you adjust the threshold on the detector first, I run my headphones as high as they will go to not miss anything. You can get headphones that have a limiter so the overloads won't blow your ears off and really loud noises won't be heard. HH[/QUOTE

Wasn't sure if I was asking my question correctly. By your answer, I suppose I did. I just need to find the sweet spot for threshold volume. Even with the 13" coil I only get about 7" depth. Can this be due to my ground balance being, 92?
If your ground is reading that high then you need to hear the threshold but set it so you can only just hear it and keep your headphones turned up full, The MXT is the best threshold base machine on the market and sometimes a rise or waver in the threshold is all the signal you will get from deeper targets, Classic example of this is the minelab GP/GPX or the Whites TDI Pro etc they don't bleep and it is their threshold that alerts the user that a target is present, The threshold on the MXT can add up to over 100% depth increase if you are paying attention, People think that because it is not bleeping deeper than 7 inches then the machine is not very deep, Using the NON Tone ID mode or one of the alternate relic modes or the Prospecting mode in an Air test the MXT will see a Quarter at about 12 to 13" but in the alternate modes or the Prospecting mode it can add another 5 to 10" inches using a US Quarter if you train your ear what to listen for, Like I said before Keep the head phones Maxed out and the threshold down very Low and you can test this for your self, In the ground the results will be a bit less but it will still give you more depth than you are digging now,

hope that helps.

I use silent search (DFX) not sure if it is the same on the MXT, in places like sports fields.. I am not digging anything deep and don't need the added audio fatigue.

If you are suffering from Audio fatigue then you are running your threshold way too high, I would never turn it off.

HH.

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could also be the targets where your digging isn't that deep depends on soil and sometimes the amount of traffic over the ground, in parks they can get really deep and my thinking on this is when the ground is real wet people walking over coins will push them deeper in the ground the ground might spring back but the coin doesn't. Some places won't have a chance to go deep like the top of a hill where erosion keeps the ground from building up but the bottom of a hill where all the leaves and grass make new soil and builds up way faster than the top not to mention the erosion from the top bringing soil down to the bottom. The clay layer will also stop coins from going deeper, so if you live in a state that doesn't have much topsoil above the clay your targets don't have the chance to get very deep before coming to rest at the clay layer. You could make a test garden with coins but note the fact that a detector won't pick up a newly buried coin as deep as one that's been in the ground for a long time. I've got some whisper targets that you couldn't detect anymore once you cut a plug and disturbed the ground that's when I make sure and dig at least 12" of dirt out and have found dimes at a full 12" before, I know I missed a few when I first started detecting with my MXT. The spot needs to be pretty clean for those full 12" dimes though but even some trashy home sites have area's that are clean here and there. HH

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your ground is reading that high then you need to hear the threshold but set it so you can only just hear it and keep your headphones turned up full, The MXT is the best threshold base machine on the market and sometimes a rise or waver in the threshold is all the signal you will get from deeper targets, Classic example of this is the minelab GP/GPX or the Whites TDI Pro etc they don't bleep and it is their threshold that alerts the user that a target is present, The threshold on the MXT can add up to over 100% depth increase if you are paying attention, People think that because it is not bleeping deeper than 7 inches then the machine is not very deep, Using the NON Tone ID mode or one of the alternate relic modes or the Prospecting mode in an Air test the MXT will see a Quarter at about 12 to 13" but in the alternate modes or the Prospecting mode it can add another 5 to 10" inches using a US Quarter if you train your ear what to listen for, Like I said before Keep the head phones Maxed out and the threshold down very Low and you can test this for your self, In the ground the results will be a bit less but it will still give you more depth than you are digging now,

hope that helps.

I will give the air test a try, but I feel hearing the deeper targets will take time, just a part of learning the machine. HH

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could also be the targets where your digging isn't that deep depends on soil and sometimes the amount of traffic over the ground, in parks they can get really deep and my thinking on this is when the ground is real wet people walking over coins will push them deeper in the ground the ground might spring back but the coin doesn't. Some places won't have a chance to go deep like the top of a hill where erosion keeps the ground from building up but the bottom of a hill where all the leaves and grass make new soil and builds up way faster than the top not to mention the erosion from the top bringing soil down to the bottom. The clay layer will also stop coins from going deeper, so if you live in a state that doesn't have much topsoil above the clay your targets don't have the chance to get very deep before coming to rest at the clay layer. You could make a test garden with coins but note the fact that a detector won't pick up a newly buried coin as deep as one that's been in the ground for a long time. I've got some whisper targets that you couldn't detect anymore once you cut a plug and disturbed the ground that's when I make sure and dig at least 12" of dirt out and have found dimes at a full 12" before, I know I missed a few when I first started detecting with my MXT. The spot needs to be pretty clean for those full 12" dimes though but even some trashy home sites have area's that are clean here and there. HH

I know in my area where the soil is sandy, I am missing deeper coins, just because I have not learned exactly what to listen for. I'm hoping after time I will become more familiar with the MXT and get the deeper coins I know are here. HH

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to add: It's a real pleasure to have Wingmaster, auminesweeper and others answer my questions and concerns here on this forum. I appreciate them sharing their knowledge, which for me, cuts down on the learning curve that it would take me to learn my MXT all by myself. HH

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to add: It's a real pleasure to have Wingmaster, auminesweeper and others answer my questions and concerns here on this forum. I appreciate them sharing their knowledge, which for me, cuts down on the learning curve that it would take me to learn my MXT all by myself. HH

Like you I jumped in the deep end and it took me a week or so of 10 to 12 hours a day non stop detecting to get use to the MXT then suddenly it all made sense and the thing with the MXT is don't over think it, you have 16 sub modes which sounds daunting but it is not, pick one of the 3 main modes and go for it, If you over think the MXT then you will never under stand it because it is a set and forget type machine and once you find your preferred setting you will be unstoppable, So get stuck in and just enjoy ya self, and take a break when your mind starts to wonder, 15 or 20 minutes is all it takes to get you back on track, And if you have any questions just give me a yell and we will sort it,

Good luck,,, John.

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you I jumped in the deep end and it took me a week or so of 10 to 12 hours a day non stop detecting to get use to the MXT then suddenly it all made sense and the thing with the MXT is don't over think it, you have 16 sub modes which sounds daunting but it is not, pick one of the 3 main modes and go for it, If you over think the MXT then you will never under stand it because it is a set and forget type machine and once you find your preferred setting you will be unstoppable, So get stuck in and just enjoy ya self, and take a break when your mind starts to wonder, 15 or 20 minutes is all it takes to get you back on track, And if you have any questions just give me a yell and we will sort it,

Good luck,,, John.

I feel honored to have someone like you on my side. With that being said, I think I'll head out and see what I can find. Oh... now you have me curious on what the 16 sub models are.

Thanks again, Steve

BuckRogers2000

Aug 24, 2016
Logan, Utah
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too, appreciate all the assistance you guys are providing. I'm under a little bit of a time crunch, with my anniversary trip approaching.

I plan to detect and mark spots, giving my wife the pointer and couple of digging tools.

I found my first deep targets last week, using just a threshhold tone. It was just junk but illustrates the capability of the MXT.

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some really deep finds from yesterday, I was detecting an old school site when an older guy started detecting and then he came over to see if I was finding anything and told me it's been pounded over the years. The MXT will find deep coins that others miss. HH

Attachments

• P3071598.JPG
    P3071598.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 58
  • P3071599.JPG
    P3071599.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 68
  • P3071600.JPG
    P3071600.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some really deep finds from yesterday, I was detecting an old school site when an older guy started detecting and then he came over to see if I was finding anything and told me it's been pounded over the years. The MXT will find deep coins that others miss. HH

Nice job! Love those mercury dimes, indian head cents and all the Wheaties as well. Where you using the 13" coil? Still haven't figured out the whisper signals yet, find it hard to hear with all the chatter. HH

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using the White's D2 coil (the 10"DD coil), just make sure when you start the detector have your coil waist high and turn it to the gain setting that your going to use (I was using +2 gain) you want to adjust the threshold while at that gain setting as well then lower your coil and ground balance in a clean spot. If your in a high EMI area you might not always be able to run that hot without too much threshold background noise but you want the threshold barely audible and at +2 gain it will probably be a little erratic but you don't want it too bad. If you can run that same gain setting the next time out you probably won't have to adjust the threshold, and a good set of headphones is a must for those whisper targets as if you use a cheap set your probably going to miss a lot of those whisper targets. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread