MX Sport What I think after using it on the Gulf of Mexico beach

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If an MX Sport can get a quarter at 10" ON ANY SETTING in saltwater, I'll eat one with hot sauce! Post up that video so I can ridicule it. I've tested the MX Sport on the beaches of Long Island, and the machine just doesn't perform that well in wet saltwater sand, or in the water. :skullflag:

How does ridicule promote an open and honest forum technical discussion? I respect that you have not had the greatest first hand experience with the MX Sport, but why assume that no one else has either? In any event, I doubt that you will get the video evidence that refutes your claim or that can even be ridiculed, because I do agree with you that the Sport is not an ideal salt water machine. But if it happens to be your only machine and you can't afford to get an optimal salt water machine, doesn't mean you should have to throw in the towel completely, much less be looked down upon because of it IMHO.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How does ridicule promote an open and honest forum technical discussion? I respect that you have not had the greatest first hand experience with the MX Sport, but why assume that no one else has either? In any event, I doubt that you will get the video evidence that refutes your claim or that can even be ridiculed, because I do agree with you that the Sport is not an ideal salt water machine. But if it happens to be your only machine and you can't afford to get an optimal salt water machine, doesn't mean you should have to throw in the towel completely, much less be looked down upon because of it IMHO.

Please, I'm not attacking the guy or girl that made a poor decision and bought a Whites machine, or a person that can only afford one machine. I appreciate facts, and as we all know, facts don't care about our feelings or opinions. I didn't assume anything, as I have first hand knowledge and experience with the MX Sport on Atlantic ocean beaches. Any video that claims to show the MX Sport finding quarters 10" deep IN SALT WATER, is wide open to ridicule. :skullflag:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I once thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken." Charles M Schulz

This time I was wrong! Sensitivity settings do affect detection depth. Thanks for your help guys. Sorry :(

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I once thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken." Charles M Schulz

This time I was wrong! Sensitivity setting do affect detection depth. Sorry guys :(

What convinced you to change your position? Could be helpful to others just lurking and reading the thread. Thanks.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please, I'm not attacking the guy or girl that made a poor decision and bought a Whites machine, or a person that can only afford one machine. I appreciate facts, and as we all know, facts don't care about our feelings or opinions. I didn't assume anything, as I have first hand knowledge and experience with the MX Sport on Atlantic ocean beaches. Any video that claims to show the MX Sport finding quarters 10" deep IN SALT WATER, is wide open to ridicule. :skullflag:

Gotcha.

Never said you were attacking people, I just got the impression you were questioning their judgement by subjecting whatever evidence they would try to offer to ridicule, which is effectively telling them in advance to not bother to post counter arguments because you already have the facts. In that case, what is the point of having a forum? I mean, who would want to post anything if they were just going to be subject to ridicule, regardless, right? Perhaps I am taking this to an illogical extreme, but that was the impression I was left with, so I responded.

btw when you judge people's decision making skills by saying that they "made a poor decision and bought a Whites machine" are you talking Whites machines in general? In other words, you have the facts that the entire Whites line of metal detectors is terrible for metal detecting, in general, under all conditions or are you still just referring to the MX Sport and salt beach hunting? I could agree with you if you are talking about someone who wanted to primarily do salt beach hunting, and they ended up choosing the Whites MX Sport, based on what most experienced detectorists know are its shortcomings under salt beach conditions, not the best decision. But, if I was primarily a relic hunter or coin shooter and I chose a Whites MX Sport because I would like to go detecting under any weather condition, and decided to bring it along to my once-in-while foray to a beach, knowing that it was not the optimal machine for that, but the only one I owned, I made a poor decision buying it in the first place? Is that what you are saying?

Last edited:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What convinced you to change your position? Could be helpful to others just lurking and reading the thread. Thanks.

I changed my position because I have discovered that sensitivity setting do affect detection depth. The degree of which and how much the MX Sport sensitivity actually responds in different environments has been lost in the conversation.

In addition I misspoke when I said “I have seen MX Sport saltwater videos where quarters are being dug at 10 inches with the sensitivity set at 3.”

1) I said “saltwater” when I meant to say “beach”. It is very difficult to correctly determine the depth of a target underwater in a saltwater environment.

2) I assumed that the original sensitivity of 3 shown at the start of the video was still being used when the MX Sport was brought out of the saltwater and used on the beach.

3) While several videos show people digging “deep’ into the beach sand, no video that I have seen actually shows a ruler and a 10 inch target. The 10 inch depth is an estimation that I made and could be incorrect.

I did qualify my comment by saying; “Those results are similar to what I'm getting in the field.” Most of what I was trying to share with other MX Sport users is based on my own findings. I have found that using sensitivity as a “tool” rather than just running the maximum setting enhances my field experience, increases my finds and enjoyment. I am able to reduce the response to bits of foil (which I have dug at 6 inches) and still enjoy the depth required to find deep coins. I have also found that decreasing the sensitivity below 3 causes the depth to drop off rapidly. In my area sensitivity settings of 5-7 seem to give the best results.

As a side note: I also exaggerated when I said I was considering carrying a "full size" shovel. That would cause quite a stir in the parks I hunt and the comment was intended to be a tongue in cheek joke. (But at times I really do need one!) :)

With that said, I appreciate all of the comments and apologize for my misstatements. Twinkletoes

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gotcha.

Never said you were attacking people, I just got the impression you were questioning their judgement by subjecting whatever evidence they would try to offer to ridicule, which is effectively telling them in advance to not bother to post counter arguments because you already have the facts. In that case, what is the point of having a forum? I mean, who would want to post anything if they were just going to be subject to ridicule, regardless, right? Perhaps I am taking this to an illogical extreme, but that was the impression I was left with, so I responded.

btw when you judge people's decision making skills by saying that they "made a poor decision and bought a Whites machine" are you talking Whites machines in general? In other words, you have the facts that the entire Whites line of metal detectors is terrible for metal detecting, in general, under all conditions or are you still just referring to the MX Sport and salt beach hunting? I could agree with you if you are talking about someone who wanted to primarily do salt beach hunting, and they ended up choosing the Whites MX Sport, based on what most experienced detectorists know are its shortcomings under salt beach conditions, not the best decision. But, if I was primarily a relic hunter or coin shooter and I chose a Whites MX Sport because I would like to go detecting under any weather condition, and decided to bring it along to my once-in-while foray to a beach, knowing that it was not the optimal machine for that, but the only one I owned, I made a poor decision buying it in the first place? Is that what you are saying?

All I am saying, is give peace a chance. :headbang: Just kidding. Whites make some fine machines. They are WAY overpriced, WAY too complicated to use and learn in many cases, and the dealers that sell them WAY over-hype them because they provide the highest profit margins allowed by the manufacturer. :skullflag:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I am saying, is give peace a chance. :headbang: Just kidding. Whites make some fine machines. They are WAY overpriced, WAY too complicated to use and learn in many cases, and the dealers that sell them WAY over-hype them because they provide the highest profit margins allowed by the manufacturer. :skullflag:

Thank you for your opinion. I'm glad you have made it your life's mission to save people form tha evil White's Electronics demon. As far as I'm concerned; save yourself! Your friend, Twinkletoes

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank goodness for Tesoro and Minelab, then. I wish you wouldn't hold back and tell us how you really feel, Terry. :notworthy: :laughing7:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank goodness for Tesoro and Minelab, then. I wish you wouldn't hold back and tell us how you really feel, Terry. :notworthy: :laughing7:

No, that's okay Terry. There are enough people on the forum doing that already. Thanks, Twinkletoes

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a M6 not a MXS, but wouldn't a double D coil do a better job on wet salt beaches and depth?

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a M6 not a MXS, but wouldn't a double D coil do a better job on wet salt beaches and depth?

The OP was using the stock coil which is a DD.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

White's recommends the use of the 950 concentric coil at the beach. It can handle the saltwater environment better than the standard 10 inch DD. For the MX Sport salt water settings they suggest using the All Metal Mode with the salt tracking on. Their testing indicates that the sensitivity can be run as high as 9 in the wet sand and 7 when the coil is submerged in salt water. I use the 950 as my main coil because the VDI signature and pinpointing is more reliable, but I have yet to take it to the beach. Hope this helps. H Digs!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

YES! A DD coil is MUCH better in highly conductive wet saltwater sand. I can't find anything from Whites that says they want you to use a concentric coil on a saltwater beach.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES! A DD coil is MUCH better in highly conductive wet saltwater sand. I can't find anything from Whites that says they want you to use a concentric coil on a saltwater beach.

Here you go I hope this is helpful.

Posted by: deolslyfox Super Moderator

MX Sport Test Results - Continuous Update 4-23-16

My MX Sport, 950 and 6X10" coils, etc arrived today !! It is un-boxed and assembled. I'm going to give this unit a good field test inland and of course at the beach. All test results, tips, lessons learned, etc will be added to this thread, so check periodically if you want to see how things are progressing.

************* Beach Testing 4-23 -16 *************

Spent a few hours at Daytona Beach testing MX SPORT in the salt sand environment. I am happy to say that the unit performed flawlessly. I tried all modes but focused on Beach, C&J and All Metal. The beach was terribly sanded in following a couple weeks of bad weather, but I was able to glean a few targets from all three venues - dry sand, wet sand and shallow water. I also worked in front of a known high EMI spot.

Basic setup: 950 concentric coil, Sense = 9, Tracking = ON, 20 Tone ID.

Beach Mode: At the beach, so started with Beach Mode. After achieving a good ground balance I started working the dry sand. Operation was remarkably smooth. Dare say as smooth as the dual frequency DFX / BH 300 or the 3-freq V3i. I was pleasantly surprised at just HOW smooth the single freq MX Sport ran. Bumped the Sense up to 10 momentarily with no appreciable increase in "chattiness". I left the sense = 9 for the rest of the testing except as noted.

First target was a nickel at 2". VDI solid and pinpoint accurate. Next hit was a Zincoln at about 6". Again, good VDI and pinpointing.

Transition Dry to Wet: The transition from dry to wet was absolutely seamless. No additional ground balancing required, even though I checked. First pump = no change in audio. First hit was a zincoln at about 8". VDI a little bouncy but pinpointing good. With sense = 9 the unit was very stable, smooth threshold. Very little difference between dry and wet venues. Touching the wet sand causes a little "chirp" but that's it. Again = bumped sense up to 10. Smooth ops - no overload in wet salt sand venue.

Transition Wet to Shallow Water: As soon as the coil hit the shallow water the unit went into OVERLOAD. I dropped the sense to 8 then to 7. At sense = 7 the unit stabilized and ran smoothly. I could not get the unit to run with Sensitivity above 7 in any mode with the coil submerged in salt water.

C&J Mode: Changing to C&J mode required a new ground balance. After that the unit ran absolutely smoothly in the dry sand.

Transition Dry to Wet: Once getting to the wet salt sand, MX Sport was a little chatty at Sense = 9. Dropped to 7 and most of the "chat" went away. I bumped the sense back to 9, added Salt Tracking, rebalanced and the unit was absolutely stable again. Bagged a couple of zincs from the wet sand in the 6 - 8" range. Again, good VDI, good pinpointing.

Transition Wet to Shallow Water: Same as with Beach Mode. Had to drop Sensitivity to 7 to alleviate OVERLOAD condition. At Sense = 7, operation was smooth.

All Metal Mode: Here's the "payday" mode in my book. All Metal Depth with VDI. Add the Salt Tracking and you've got a detector with all the capabilities of a BH 300 with a VDI readout !! In dry sand the MX Sport will see an aluminum rivet from a beach chair at about 6". I know, I chased one around !! It will see a zincoln at 8" no problem and a clad dime just as deep. Dug both. Runs fine with Sense = 10.

Transition Dry to Wet: Just like other modes. No worries.

Transition Wet to Shallow Water: Again, just like Beach and C&J. Sense above 7 = OVERLOAD. Sense = 7 and below = smooth ops.

High EMI area: No worries. Even at Sense = 10 the Sport was more than usable in the known high EMI areas. I didn't even have to employ freq offset. Dropping sensitivity to 8 was enough restore absolutely smooth operations in motion mode. I could still detect a little chatter in pinpoint mode, but not enough to worry about.

End of the day: MX Sport is a top performer at the beach. With Salt Tracking activated, it can transition from dry to wet to shallow water seamlessly.

Recommendations: If you want to squeeze every last drop of depth out of your MX Sport at the beach, run in All METAL mode with Salt Tracking. Just keep in mind that you'll see the tinfoil bits, bobby pins, etc, but you'll also get the small gold chains and deeper targets.

Tips:
1.If you are working salt water, drop your sensitivity to avoid OVERLOAD.
2. Any time you change modes, especially if adding / removing SALT TRACKING, touch up your ground balance
3. Pinpointing over large iron gives you the threshold dropout just like the rest of the MXT line
4. In All Metal mode with Salt Tracking, the MX Sport can see a crushed aluminum can at about 20" in dry sand.
5. Run the 950 concentric at the beach if you have it. It is an excellent coil. Great depth, accurate pinpointing, very little falsing.

Hope this is helpful. If I have any other tips along the way, I'll add 'em to this post.

Good luck and good hunting !!

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Conventional wisdom states that for a VLF detector, IN GENERAL, a DD coil will perform better than a concentric on a wet salt beach all other things being equal. That does not mean that a concentric will not perform well nor is it clear that a DD will always outperform a concentric under all beach conditions.

In the above example, not sure what the basis is for tip 5 because there was no side-by-side testing of the 950 vs. the stock 10" DD as far as I could tell. The above single data point just proves the 950 concentric works well at the beach IN THIS SITUATION but this example is not conclusive that the concentric IS BETTER THAN the stock DD in wet salt sand because the example above ONLY used the 950.

As is always the case in detecting, YMMV. Thanks for the info.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Conventional wisdom states that for a VLF detector, IN GENERAL, a DD coil will perform better than a concentric on a wet salt beach all other things being equal. That does not mean that a concentric will not perform well nor is it clear that a DD will always outperform a concentric under all beach conditions.

In the above example, not sure what the basis is for tip 5 because there was no side-by-side testing of the 950 vs. the stock 10" DD as far as I could tell. The above single data point just proves the 950 concentric works well at the beach IN THIS SITUATION but this example is not conclusive that the concentric IS BETTER THAN the stock DD in wet salt sand because the example above ONLY used the 950.

As is always the case in detecting, YMMV. Thanks for the info.

You've made a good observation and are correct. The above tip 5 data indicates that the MX Sport with the 950 concentric coil works well at the beach when submerged in saltwater. This test was for the MX Sport only and should not be applied across the board as a promotion of concentric coils over DD coils at the beach.

However, for comparison there are many MX Sport video's on YouTube using the stock 10" DD coil in saltwater. Most/all that I've seen require the operator to turn the sensitivity down to 3 when the coil goes in the saltwater. ORIGINAL POST "I had to reduce the sensitivity to 3 to use the detector in salt water and with the waves did not spend a lot of time in the water but think it will work ok."

Some operators even seem baffled and can't get the MX Sport run stable with the 10" DD coil in the saltwater. As discussed earlier in this thread, there may be significant loss of depth with the sensitivity set at 3 and the findings from the 950 coil test results could enhance the performance for MX Sport users when wading in saltwater.

The entire thread is found on the White's Electronic Forum under MX Sport and is named: "MX Sport Test Results - Continuous Update 4-23-16" This field testing includes the 10" DD stock coil, the 6X10" coil, and the 950 concentric coils. I think it has good information for those using the MX Sport. Thank you for your comments, H Digs

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should all run out and get an MX Sport with a concentric coil for wet saltwater beach hunting right now - especially if you are hunting the same beaches I am! :laughing7:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Terry, dude snagged 19 cents and an aluminum rivet after 2 hours, what's not to like? Us MX Sportsters will clear all the deep zincolns out of the way so you can focus on the gold. Lol

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Terry, dude snagged 19 cents and an aluminum rivet after 2 hours, what's not to like? Us MX Sportsters will clear all the deep zincolns out of the way so you can focus on the gold. Lol

Congratulations! WTG! Gotta love the rivets and deep pennies! Did you try the 950 concentric or were you successful with the 10" DD? H Digs!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread