MX Sport What I think after using it on the Gulf of Mexico beach

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should all run out and get an MX Sport with a concentric coil for wet saltwater beach hunting right now - especially if you are hunting the same beaches I am! :laughing7:

I got one already Terry; what beach are you thinking about? Sounds like fun! Maybe afterwards we could got to an old homestead, city park, fresh water swimming area, school, or maybe even do some relic hunting at an old military encampment. Don't worry if you don't have the MX Sport, just bring as many detectors as you think you'll need! H Digs!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got one already Terry; what beach are you thinking about? Sounds like fun! Maybe afterwards we could got to an old homestead, city park, fresh water swimming area, school, or maybe even do some relic hunting at an old military encampment. Don't worry if you don't have the MX Sport, just bring as many detectors as you think you'll need! H Digs!

I'm up for it! PM me with your location and contact info. :occasion14:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm up for it! PM me with your location and contact info. :occasion14:

No...I can' really go...I'm just having a little fun! Thanks though...I'm headed out to do a little detecting right now. Kind of bitter cold out...but I'm going anyway! I'll try to post my finds, if I can get through the frost that is. H Digs

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! WTG! Gotta love the rivets and deep pennies! Did you try the 950 concentric or were you successful with the 10" DD? H Digs!

I was referring to the guy who's post you cut and pasted above who was recommending the concentric coil based on his Daytona Beach experience.

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pardon me for saying, but with ALL the problems the MXS has had I think its you that should be carrying an array of detectors - :thumbsup:

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
I have an Mx sport with the sport accessories and have done pretty good with it. I also hunt with a Ctx 3030, Excalibur ii, Excalibur 10, x-terra 705, Garrett Gti 2000 and ace 250. I have not hunted salt water with the Mx sport yet. On land and fresh water I feel that it can compete against the Ctx 3030 as it has great depth and target separation and very capable of pulling out targets with rusty nails or iron on top of and touching the good target just as well as the Ctx3030. Next spring I intend to try it on the beach. For the price it is a great machine and Whites takes great care of their customers. My Ctx 3030 which cost more than double has had problems as well. I have hunted with it for three years and have only been using the Mx sports a couple of months learning the machine. The Mx sport is my back up to the Ctx 3030 and has proven to be very capable so far. For the beach I use Excalibur or Ctx 3030 but will give the Mx sport a chance. Minelab also takes good care of its customers as does Garrett.

Last edited:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post is full of good information on what to expect from the MX Sport at the beach. Begin with the original posting of this thread which was a report on beach hunting. There are also many videos on YouTube using the MX Sport at the ocean. While everybody wants to take there MX Sport to the ocean, and certainly should, I really feel that it's not the best detector for general saltwater beach hunting. It's really designed as a multipurpose detector for; all weather use, fresh water hunting, parks, homesteads, playgrounds, schools, relic, and if you don't have anything else, can be used with good effect at the beach. I do think for a single frequency VLF detector it can compete at the beach with all the other detectors in its class. If however, you have a multi-frequency machine that was engineered for saltwater and salt beaches you'll probably end up staying with that.

I'll be keeping my Excalibur 1000 for my ocean detecting and using the MX Sport for everything else! Whatever you do...have fun! Thanks for sharing some great information on the MXS compared to the CTX 3030 and other detectors. I have also heard simular good reports from V3i users. Let us know how you do when you take it to the beach. I still think there are coils selections and settings yet to be discovered that will enhance saltwater beach performance.

Thanks for sharing, H Digs

Last edited:

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
I hunted Coquina beach in Bradenton Fl. for two days about fours each day. I tried all three coils in the dry sand, wet sand and in the water. The mx sport did not over load until sensitivity was at 8 in the water and on dry sand and wet sand I was able to go as high as 9. I tried all modes. Only found a few pennies in the dry sand and a pull tab. I didn't find any targets in the wet sand or water. I put a penny in the water and the mxt sport indicates vid of a Pennie or dime. I tested the same with penny on wet sand on top and no problem. I use my scoop to dig about 5 inch and placed penny in bottom and covered with wet sand. I could not get any reading swing both ways but could get a reading occasionally on swing from left to right but not on reverse swing , I went 360 with same result, it also would not pin point. I found that this had happened me one time and did find a penny on time. I had several other similar hits that I dug and found no targets. I had salt track on and off checked different modes and ground balanced numerous times. I talked with a regular hunter that hat was detecting dry sand by parking area. He said that the beach and wet sand are heavily hunted and said that about a week ago they had storms and the beach was heavily sanded in and targets were probably at least a foot deep. The pennies I did find were about 5 niches deep in area not affected by the storm waves. I left my CTX and Excalibur ii home in Texas, so I couldn't check to see if I was missing signals. I hope to be able to hit a beach in Panama City on my way back to Texas, if not I will be at a beach in Texas later this year, but will bring more than one detector this time. Love the Mx sport on regular land hunts and dry sand on beach was ok.

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
I went to Panama City beach on 02-12-17 and found two pennies in the wet sand in about 10 inches , several pull tabs 8 to 10 inches in wet sand. Using the 6x10 coil. In dry sand I found several pull tabs and bottle caps at various depths from 6 o 10 inches. Sensitivity at 8 in wet sand and at 9 and boost in dry sand. I also found a cigarette pack about 14 inches in the dry sand which read as nickel reading using 9 sensitivity. In wet salt water I was able to run 7 -8 sensitivity but found no targets. Beach was not busy and appeared sanded in. I was satisfied with the Mx sport performance. I bought a used V3i off Craig's list while in Panama City that day, so I will be trying to learn it as well when I get back to a Texas.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Panama City beach on 02-12-17 and found two pennies in the wet sand in about 10 inches , several pull tabs 8 to 10 inches in wet sand. Using the 6x10 coil. In dry sand I found several pull tabs and bottle caps at various depths from 6 o 10 inches. Sensitivity at 8 in wet sand and at 9 and boost in dry sand. I also found a cigarette pack about 14 inches in the dry sand which read as nickel reading using 9 sensitivity. In wet salt water I was able to run 7 -8 sensitivity but found no targets. Beach was not busy and appeared sanded in. I was satisfied with the Mx sport performance. I bought a used V3i off Craig's list while in Panama City that day, so I will be trying to learn it as well when I get back to a Texas.

This is great information! I haven't taken my MX Sport to the beach so I have no experience with it there. I do know that the stock 10DD coil is not well suited for salt water hunting and the sensitivity has to be down to 3 to get it stable. This results in severe loss of depth. The 950 concentric preforms better running the sensitivity as high as 7-8, but may have buoyancy issues. The 6X10 seems to be well suited for the salt water, but until it finds goodies it has yet to prove itself. Let me know how you make out. I'd also like to know how the Detech 7 preforms in salt water if anybody tries one there.

Keep posting your experiences! There really appreciated! I'll try to do the same. Thanks for your information! Tt

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread