MX Sport What I think after using it on the Gulf of Mexico beach

Ed Osmar

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The truth is this is my second MX Sport, the first one was sent back after testing it in my backyard with various coins and rings and getting poor readings. The second MX Sport was tested the same way with much better results so I took that one to the beach along with some rings and coins to see how it did in dry sand and wet salt sand. I used a silver dime and quarter, 10k ring, white gold mans ring. very small 925 silver ring, and a ladies silver ring wit a little gold on it. With dry sand I buried the dime and quarter about 6in. deep and all rings about 4in. deep and easley found all except the very small silver ring. In wet sand I had a hard time measuring how deep everything was because the tide was comming in and the waves were a little high. I don't think I was as deep as in the wet sand but objects were found. I had to reduce the sensitivity to 3 to use the detector in salt water and with the waves did not spend a lot of time in the water but think it will work ok. As for the MX Sport not doing well on the small silver ring, I am guessing it may be the coil, White,s has two other coils for the Mx Sport and I would like to try them and see how they handle small Silver and gold.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you put coil in the salt water and what was the results?

OP
OP
E

Ed Osmar

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I did and had to set sen to 3 to stop overload. I did not spend a lot of time hunting in the water but coil acted normally when I passes it near my scoop(made noise).

OP
OP
E

Ed Osmar

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on using MX Sport. I am getting more comfortable using the MXS and am finding that on the sand beaches using the salt mode works best whether wet or dry sand. I do ground balance when switching between wet and dry and also when going into the water. In water sen. to 3, on land around 5-6. Have not found any rings but lots of clad coins.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On 3 your not going to get much depth.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MX Sport sensitivity only determines the detector's ability to respond to the weakest electromagnetic fields generated by the conductive and ferromagnetic substances which may range from non-ferrous targets to clods of mineralized material in the ground. In other words, by increasing the Sensitivity level, you only instruct your metal detector to LET YOU HEAR more weak audio responses emitted by small and deep targets situated within the detector's actual DEPTH PENETRATION. Feel free to adjust the Sensitivity to alow the machine to run stable without fear of losing much, if any depth. Hopes this helps, H Digs

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The MX Sport sensitivity only determines the detector's ability to respond to the weakest electromagnetic fields generated by the conductive and ferromagnetic substances which may range from non-ferrous targets to clods of mineralized material in the ground. In other words, by increasing the Sensitivity level, you only instruct your metal detector to LET YOU HEAR more weak audio responses emitted by small and deep targets situated within the detector's actual DEPTH PENETRATION. Feel free to adjust the Sensitivity to alow the machine to run stable without fear of losing much, if any depth. Hopes this helps, H Digs

TRANSLATION: The MX Sport is a single frequency VLF that doesn't work well in saltwater, or on wet saltwater sand. If you want a good saltwater detector, buy one.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gotta agree with Terry. If you want to hit saltwater beaches, a machine that is made for the salt water would work best. Ot multi frequency like a Minelab SE Pro or Sovereign or something of that nature.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRANSLATION: The MX Sport is a single frequency VLF that doesn't work well in saltwater, or on wet saltwater sand. If you want a good saltwater detector, buy one.

TRANSLATION: I have very little patience with discussions that could help someone get the most out of their metal detector. If you want to metal detector at the beach, go out and buy another metal detector that is made specifically for that purpose.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is correct, there is major difference between a multi-freq detector designed for salt water and a single freq land detector with a beach mode. When you turn sensitivity way down to get a so how freq detector stable at a salt beach your losing depth and gold sinks....

November 9, 2016 A New Future

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We now have two discussions going at the same time. If we are making suggestions for beach hunting metal detectors, then we all agree, mulitfrequency detectors are best on salt water beaches. However, single frequency VFL detectors are used daily on beaches around the world. They can preform adequately if someone knows how to use one and only occasionally gets to the coast to hunt. Thanks for your input. H Digs

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First - I appreciate your discussion and attempt to keep this "on topic" (i.e., MX Sport...Beach) by trying to describe how to eek out maximum MX Sport performance (even if only marginal or "adequate") by trading off sensitivity settings to offset salt/mineralized sand noise rather than just telling people to get a multi-freq detector, which, though true, may be beside the point because it is not necessarily practical for many people who need to make do with a single detector, such as the Sport, under a variety of environmental conditions and circumstances.

That being said, if you are not hearing the weaker deep audio by lowering sensitivity, and you have to lower sensitivity because of soil "conditions" to eliminate noise, then aren't you losing depth by definition? The above sounds like an argument of semantics. That is, it sounds like what you are saying is your detector is still detecting at the same depth, you just can't hear it when lowering the sensitivity. Therefore, if you can't hear the weaker deep audio then you won't dig it. Hence, for all practical purposes, losing depth. Can you explain to me what I am missing? [and please (to everyone else) don't say I am missing a multi-frequency machine :tongue3: - because, in fact I do own one for beach hunting, so I get that]. Thanks.

Last edited:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is my position that by lowering the sensitivity on the MX Sport you eliminate the weaker signals within the detecting field. That is to say that you may eliminate small foil and weak signal items. Yes, you may also eliminate gold or silver earring stems, small bracelets, and you may even eliminate thin gold rings. However, you don't necessarily lose depth on targets within the detection field that have a larger electronic profile and give a stronger signal. This includes coins and most gold and jewelry. Good discussion! H Digs

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do lose depth and targets when you turn down the sensitivity and not just tin foil or tiny targets, I have tested it many times over the years in my coin garden with buried targets including nickles, dimes, quarters and gold ring. Even on my excal I lose depth and good targets when I turn my sensitivity down, I also lost depth and good targets on my Whites, Troy, Tesoro and Fisher as well when I turned the sensitivity down on them.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We may be closer to agreeing than it seems. My Excalibur is notorious for losing depth when the sensitivity is turned down. However, the ground/mineralization/saltwater that is being searched has the greatest impact on detection depth. When a detector is correctly engineered, adjusting the sensitivity to stabilize the machine, or eliminate small foil, etc. should only have a minimal impact on depth. I have seen MX Sport saltwater videos where quarters are being dug at 10 inches with the sensitivity set at 3. Those results are simular to what I'm getting in the field. I use the sensitivity settings on the MXS to enhance the machines performance and still hit coins so deep that I'm seriously considering carrying a larger (full size) shovel. Thank for sharing your metal detector testing. If you have test results for the MX Sport I'm sure there are many, incluing myself, who would really appreciate the information. In the mean time, I'll take the results you've shared into consideration. H Digs

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We may be closer to agreeing than it seems. My Excalibur is notorious for losing depth when the sensitivity is turned down. However, the ground/mineralization/saltwater that is being searched has the greatest impact on detection depth. When a detector is correctly engineered, adjusting the sensitivity to stabilize the machine, or eliminate small foil, etc. should only have a minimal impact on depth. I have seen MX Sport saltwater videos where quaters are being dug at 10 inches with the sensitivity set at 3. I use the sensitivity settings on the MXS to enhance the machines performance and still hit coins so deep that I'm seriously considering carrying a larger (full size) shovel. Thank for sharing your metal detector testing. If you have test results for the MX Sport and are willing to post them I'm sure there are many, incluing myself, who would really appreciate the information. In the mean time, I'll take the results you've shared into consideration. H Digs

If an MX Sport can get a quarter at 10" ON ANY SETTING in saltwater, I'll eat one with hot sauce! Post up that video so I can ridicule it. I've tested the MX Sport on the beaches of Long Island, and the machine just doesn't perform that well in wet saltwater sand, or in the water. :skullflag:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watching videos isnt the same as our own on hands testing. I have been using excals for over 10 years, I have also tested excals along with other detectors at the beach in wet sand at waters edge, no doubt you lose depth when you turn the sensitivity down no matter what detector I tested and I have tested Whites, Fisher, Troy and Tesoro as well as several different Minelab multifreq detectors including excals at the beach.

Last edited:

chowder

Nov 3, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's M6 and White's MXT Pro
Ed...I would be interested in knowing if a different coil, other than the stock coil, makes any difference. If you decide to go down that rabbit hole...make sure to let us know what you find out.

chowder

Nov 3, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's M6 and White's MXT Pro
Ed....just wondering if you have used the "salt track" feature and if you had any luck using it.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess what you're saying is that the sensitivity response is non-linear, so even if you are reducing it to what appears to be half sensitivity that is not the same as half detection depth. I think there is still a detection depth hit nevertheless (i.e., there is no free lunch). Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread