Considering the MX Sport

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking to trade the ATP +$ for a MXSport. A few questions, please.

1. Will the current Whites coils I own work for dry hunts if/when an adapter is offered?

2. I've seen somewhere a picture of a 7"(?) coil. Will it be offered as an option to a 10" coil? I don't want both.

3. Does All Metal display VDI?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Strongly suggest you read the posts on this thread about the widespread problems with the MXS. You might seriously regret going from the ATP to the MXS at this point. I'm sure others will chime in before you take that leap.

Just the view from my foxhole...

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to thought about it, and I read about it, laughed about it, and then forgot about it. Atp is still pulling it in for me.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Strongly suggest you read the posts on this thread about the widespread problems with the MXS. You might seriously regret going from the ATP to the MXS at this point. I'm sure others will chime in before you take that leap.

Just the view from my foxhole...

I am aware of the issues they were having. Still, the features are on another level in comparison.

My ATP was my rain storm unit and was the sole reason for my purchase, but now I have the Deus for that, so I can''t see myself using the ATP ever again. Since the ATP is now strictly a guest unit collecting dust I figured I'd upgrade to something I may use in the rain, or at least upgrade the guest unit to a more full featured unit.

If I don't like the MXSport then it's not a problem because I already dislike the ATP for few reasons. The MXSport has far better features for a waterproof machine. Those more advanced features are the primary draw. The possible coil selection available would put me squarely into the MXSport owners club. If it can hunt dry an MXSport with my current coil selection, then I wouldn't care about cracking faceplates.

If I'm going to pay for a dust collector, I want a dust collector with more capabilities features-wise. :tongue3:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to see a post or video, made by anyone that did not work for Whites, saying or doing anything great with this machine. But you should have no problem finding a great deal on one!

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I'll let the ATP collect more dust. It's not hurting anything doing so.

If Whites is reading this, for the future, I'd be willing to switch if the 7" coil is offered as OE to the machine. If the 10" or larger coil comes pre-packaged I would not. The features are great, but another large coil machine is a deal breaker.

Thanks for the red flags everyone. Good luck planting the black ones. :skullflag:

Nomadnailer

Apr 6, 2011
Montrose, WV
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i with dx-1 sunray probe, Whites xlt, Tesoro lobo st,
I have a mxs and love it. My first machine screen cracked so I sent it back they sent a new one the second unit too was a first edition and had a cracked screen so whites in September sent me the newly reworked mxs you can't compare the atp to the mxs. The mxs goes deeper and is more sensitive the the atp I have the V3i and like the mxs as well it. If you get a chance trade or just buy an mxs. No of my atp buddies can keep up because of depth of the mxs alone.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the MX Sport with the 10 inch DD coil and also bought the 950 concentric coil. I am upgrading from the XLT and after a short, but challenging learning curve, I really like the MXS. It's my go to detector! The options and programs are excellent and easy to use, it's deep seeking, well built, light weight, with great visuals on the large screen (dashboard). Worried about quality? Watch the MX Sport drop test video. It may help you make your final decision. Good luck with what ever you choose! H Digs!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've heard others saying it's not an MXT equal which I figured it wouldn't be, the power of the MXT would be hard to match although the MXT isn't waterproof. HH

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I instead bought a brand new in box discontinued model from another manufacturer with no warranty on the unit. Yep, I take risks.

MX Sport is going to have to prove itself more....but I still have the ATP, so who knows down the road.

I'd really, REALLY like to use my v coils on the MXSport if that is even possible. So a major factor in the future for me.

Thanks everyone.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine fried out after 10 minutes in the water, I wish you luck

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Units are frying in the water because there is a problem with the screen seal. I have had two of these units in my possession and sent them both back for other problems that I heard were positively fixed. As far as the features, I liked the unit, worked great in the iron patch, and on small tiny objects. I tested it right along side my MXT using the stock coil on the MX Sport, and a D2 10 inch coil on my MXT. Air testing went well with the MX Sport up against my MXT. The MX Sport got a clean signal at 1 1/2 to 2 inches further with a clean positive signal. Just my findings. As far as buying another MX Sport, I have it on the back burner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread