Setting V3i for nail rich area

vonrall

Apr 17, 2009
Hi guys, Hunting a colonial home site which may have been burned down with my V3i. There are loads of forged nails all about which are masking any potential good readings. Any suggestions on the best settings to cut though the nail chatter and false readings would be most appreciated. I've not really had much experience with this machine yet so am at the novice stage with it.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a program on the White's website forum that's called magic's program, he's had the V3i before they came out and was a tester for them. I've detected with him in the past he knows the V3i very well, he has his set up to just tick when there's nails in the ground which is handy for finding old home sites but doesn't sound like a target. You might have to make a few adjustments to set it up to your soil depending on where you live but it's a great program and you'll get great depth as well. HH

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
The V3i is a hot machine but I never thought one would burn down a home! :tongue3:

It depends on how much time you can hunt the location. Once, or at will?
It depends on your coil selection. What do you have to choose from?
It depends on your soil. What do the V3i probes say?
It depends on your eyes and ears. How well can you interpret poor/mixed signals on the spectragraph combined with the tones id?

I might dig it all at a site like that, but I'm still not using a beep-dig one, or two tone program. Although I see the reasoning, that's losing out on valuable learning experience IMO.

In most soil in my area I'd use a Tone ID "on" correlate program and tighten up span setting to say 20 to start, wrap -94 or -93. Start off with RX 4, AM 60, DISC 70, BCR at 2. (working up as needed)

Ground Balance to lock offset -1. RD at 40 to start (I sometimes go as low as 10).

I have two nearly identical programs and the only thing changed is how it responds to iron, zero tone, or the ticking. Once I locate the nails I go to zero tone for the iron allowing for wrap.

All the information is out there scattered all over the internet. study all the information available and experiment in your ground.

Good hunting.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am sorry your metal detector burned a colonial home down. That unit should not have malfunctioned like that. Send that right in for repair. Wouldn't wanna use that heater in your backyard.

Hi guys, Hunting a colonial home site which may have been burned down with my V3i. There are loads of forged nails all about which are masking any potential good readings. Any suggestions on the best settings to cut though the nail chatter and false readings would be most appreciated. I've not really had much experience with this machine yet so am at the novice stage with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread