Testing the Detech S.E.F. 12 x 15 coil

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Photo on 10-26-16 at 1.09 PM #2.jpg Since I couldn't find anyone to give me answers on the Detech S.E.F. 12 x 15 coil I did some testing on my own. White's has been working with Detech for awhile to help each other add more coils to the V series. My over all impression is that it is deeper than the Ultimate 13 covers more area more thoroughly. Since there is no coil choice on the V series for 12 x 15 it shows shallower than the target actually is. On nickels I've found it runs about 2 to 3 inches than indicated. Pulled 2 V Nickels from almost 9". A buffalo from 8", Mercs were from 7-9" and the SLQ was only 8" but on it's side. The iHP was a solid at 9" but read in the Blue Freq instead of Red which is normal. But it was in a heavily fertilized area that was soaked and watery. Showed some of the other finds like jewelry and tokens. This is still highly sensitive and picks up even the smallest pieces of metal. Found 22 cal bullet heads ad 4" and copper BB's at 3". Pin pointing is a little harder but still with in a normal plug size. Over alll I like it and will keep it on for medium to low trash areas. All these items are from a extremely highly hunted park. Lately been getting skunked with the U 13 coil.
Thanks for reading Happy Hunting Photo on 10-26-16 at 1.06 PM.jpg Photo on 10-26-16 at 1.07 PM.jpg Photo on 10-26-16 at 1.09 PM.jpg Photo on 10-26-16 at 1.11 PM.jpg

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ultimate 13 coil will get dimes at 10" with no problem, the park I detect there all 10"+ if there's any silver to be had. HH

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ultimate 13 coil will get dimes at 10" with no problem, the park I detect there all 10"+ if there's any silver to be had. HH

WIth the lousy soil here The U 13 will get dimes 8 maybe 9" but this will get them to 10" and covers more area. I've had multiple targets under the coil and can center the one you wan. I used this to separate the high tones and green freq from the other

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using it on the MXT though and try and run at +2 gain, the depth is equal to the D2 coil but the 13" coil hits better on those deep coins that are sitting on edge. The D2 coil will hit on those real deep ones on edge but they sound like trash and with the 13" coil they sound just enough better to go ahead and dig, I was hoping for more depth though and it really isn't any deeper. The D2 coil is also more prone to EMI which will limit how much gain you can run without creating too much background noise in your headphones to keep you from hearing those real deep whisper targets. I'm thinking the 12X15 wouldn't really get me more depth and the 13" coil is pretty big already, the 13" coil needs pretty wide open spaces like parks. HH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't live in the potato patch area there do you? If so I would be detecting for nuggets and would be sluicing as well if I lived in a good gold state or area. HH

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have experience with the Detech 7 inch. It's obviously not for depth, however I'm pulling coins from high trash areas that I thought were almost hunted out. The VDI's are spot on and pinpointing is easy and accurate. Detech makes great coils and the larger 13 inch is on my wish list. Thanks for the info! H Digs

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread