Whites TDI batteries

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I don't know how to make a TDI rechargeable battery pack. I gave them up years ago because of the expense. I now use the backup AA battery pack with rechargeable batteries and carry an extra fully charged AA backup pack with me. I also keep AA alkaline batteries in the truck for multi day hunting. Hope this helps, Tt

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply. How did you wire them all together? Are you talking about the TDI SL? I have been looking into the rechargeable pack and there is some information out there. Ill see if I can get it to work.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. How did you wire them all together? Are you talking about the TDI SL? I have been looking into the rechargeable pack and there is some information out there. Ill see if I can get it to work.

Batteries and Charger
"The TDI-SL includes a recharge able NiMH battery pack as the primary power source, and a standard alkaline battery pack as a backup. Fully charged, they supply a nominal 12 volts (the NiMH may be slightly less) and will power the TDI-SL about 4-5 hours. The TDI will operate until the batteries drop to about 8.5 volts, at which point the low battery LED will turn on."

The TDI-SL batteries and backup battery packs are the standard White's rechargeable units. I used the same on my White's XLT. I found that the older the battery got, the shorter the run time. When I reached the point where I needed to replace the rechargeable battery I decided to switched to (2) back up packs ($9.95 each on the White's website) with 8 rechargeable AA batteries. I also carry AA alkaline batteries to use when all else fails. Let us know how you make out. Tt

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I had the SL I could use the RnB battery I have for the MXT and GMT. I have the TDI big box model. They use different batteries. Due to the price of a new one I was hoping I could figure out a way to make my own.

Ill let you know how it goes. There are 2 options I am thinking of. 1 is getting a Lithium Ion holder with pigtail and soldering the proper connector on. The other is buy the batteries and solder them together in series and solder the right connector. I just either need to solder a PCB board to the battery wires or get protected batteries.

Batteries and Charger
"The TDI-SL includes a recharge able NiMH battery pack as the primary power source, and a standard alkaline battery pack as a backup. Fully charged, they supply a nominal 12 volts (the NiMH may be slightly less) and will power the TDI-SL about 4-5 hours. The TDI will operate until the batteries drop to about 8.5 volts, at which point the low battery LED will turn on."

The TDI-SL batteries and backup battery packs are the standard White's rechargeable units. I used the same on my White's XLT. I found that the older the battery got, the shorter the run time. When I reached the point where I needed to replace the rechargeable battery I decided to switched to (2) back up packs ($9.95 each on the White's website) with 8 rechargeable AA batteries. I also carry AA alkaline batteries to use when all else fails. Let us know how you make out. Tt

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had the SL I could use the RnB battery I have for the MXT and GMT. I have the TDI big box model. They use different batteries. Due to the price of a new one I was hoping I could figure out a way to make my own.

Ill let you know how it goes. There are 2 options I am thinking of. 1 is getting a Lithium Ion holder with pigtail and soldering the proper connector on. The other is buy the batteries and solder them together in series and solder the right connector. I just either need to solder a PCB board to the battery wires or get protected batteries.

I looked up the TDI big box batteries and now I see what you're dealing with. It sounds like you have a good plan, also sounds like fun. :) Good luck with the electrical soldering and battery modifications. I'm sure others would be interested in trying it if you can get it to work. Tt

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally made the battery and it works great. I used 4 3.7 volt panasonic batteries with built in protection. It gives me 14.8 volts. I will make another one with 5 3.7 volt 18650 batteries and they will bring me up to 18.5 volts.

Heres the 2 batteries.

Attachments

• 20170202_150630.jpg
    20170202_150630.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 153

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome! You did a fantastic job making those batteries! That's one of the things I know nothing about. WTG! Have fun with the TDI. H Digs

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks!! If anyone has a TDI and wants to make some batteries for it, let me know. I can draw out some plans for you and let you know what you will need. This battery cost me about 40 bucks total. It should last about 3 to 4 hours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread