MX Sport DIY

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Whiteā€™s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / Whiteā€™s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI My MX Sport DIY

High five White's Treasure/Junk ee's!

Here are pictures of the modifications I've made to my MX Sport:

Pictures 1 and 2 are my custom handle grip wrap. The strap is for my shoulder harness.

Picture 3 is a cover to protect the screen during transportation.

Picture 4 is the Detech 7 inch coil sealed with Plastic-Dip.

As always thanks for looking, Tt

Attachments

• IMG_1861.JPG
    IMG_1861.JPG
    678.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1860.JPG
    IMG_1860.JPG
    720.3 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1864.PNG
    IMG_1864.PNG
    84.6 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1858.PNG
    IMG_1858.PNG
    255.7 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

nor kal kid

Feb 19, 2014
northern kalifornia, Bay area
Detector(s) used
XLT, Mxt all pro, garrett pp.coils 10"DD, 950, 12"spyder.for mxt all pro. Coils for xlt 950 and 15" magnum force field "depth plus"mxt max coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice will be doing same when i pick up my mx sport.

OP
OP
Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Whiteā€™s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / Whiteā€™s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Plasi-dip worked well but was a bear to get right. I really like the yellow color. The next coil I seal I'm considering using Flexseal. Any other suggestions for sealing coils are welcome. Have fun when your MX Sport arrives. Post your finds! H Digs

Last edited:

ā˜  Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High five White's Treasure/Junk ee's!

Here are pictures of the modifications I've made to my MX Sport:

Pictures 1 and 2 are my custom handle grip wrap. The strap is for my shoulder harness.

Picture 3 is a cover to protect the screen during transportation.

Picture 4 is the Detech 7 inch coil sealed with Plastic-Dip.

As always thanks for looking, Tt

Just curious why you did the coil mod? I have found the machine exceptionally wobbly in this area. I have several other machines and none of them have any play or wobble. It seems like the machine is not constructed well at the bottom in proportion to its upper weight. If I stand it upright I could literally move the machine around like jello. But I have only ever seen one other person complain of this.

OP
OP
Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil modification is to seal and waterproof the coil cover. No there wasn't any wobbly movement in that area. Are you missing the rubber washers that are part of the coil/clevis/bolt attachment hardware? Also pictured is the White's coil stabilizer that I use on all my metal detectors to maintain the correct coil/shaft angle. Hope this helps, Tt

Last edited:

ā˜  Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil modification is to seal and waterproof the coil cover. No there wasn't any wobbly movement in that area. Are you missing the rubber washers that are part of the coil/clevis/bolt attachment hardware? Also pictured is the White's coil stabilizer that I use on all my metal detectors to maintain the correct coil/shaft angle. Hope this helps, Tt

There was a bit of an issue with the washers that came with the unit. They were too fat and soft, which made them Grip too hard on the coil and also left a bit of elasticity or play for lack of a better word. I replaced them with a thinner, harder set and that cured most of what I perceived as a problem. The rest of it can be attributed to my lack of experience with heavier machines. All of my machines prior to this were very light and could be left standing upright on their own. There was not as much weight to support. I can't do that with this one. I have to lean it or lay it flat. In hindsight, it's kinda silly that I thought it was an issue.

OP
OP
Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Texas / Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ā˜  Cipher;5364278 said:
There was a bit of an issue with the washers that came with the unit. They were too fat and soft, which made them Grip too hard on the coil and also left a bit of elasticity or play for lack of a better word. I replaced them with a thinner, harder set and that cured most of what I perceived as a problem. The rest of it can be attributed to my lack of experience with heavier machines. All of my machines prior to this were very light and could be left standing upright on their own. There was not as much weight to support. I can't do that with this one. I have to lean it or lay it flat. In hindsight, it's kinda silly that I thought it was an issue.

Call White's and get the rubber washers that are made for the machine. Watch the video on how to easily install them. There is no need to have any difficulty with that area. Hope this helps, Tt

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have noticed the rubber washers are a bit too thick for the stock coil but perfect for the 7" & 13" Detech coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread