04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT PRO,
Whites MXT TRACKER E-SERIES
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all... I always adjust and hunt with my MXT with gain set around 2, but lately I have not been able to turn gain up above 1+ without it overloading, even while air testing. I am not sure if this is related to hunting in the rain last week, but I've tried blowing it out with compressed air and using my wife's hairdryer, but with no good results Any one else had a similar experience or have any suggestions for me?

Thanks and HH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have another coil to try, I've had a bad coil before like that and it will get worse over time. If it's a coil going bad it will get to where you won't be able to even go as high as the preset setting on the gain. Try another coil and if it doesn't do that than it's the coil going bad, do you have a coil cover on it if not look to see if you have a small hole worn in the coil somewhere. HH

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have another and will give this a try. Can't believe I didn't think of this. Will let you know later.

Thanks and HH

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have another coil to try, I've had a bad coil before like that and it will get worse over time. If it's a coil going bad it will get to where you won't be able to even go as high as the preset setting on the gain. Try another coil and if it doesn't do that than it's the coil going bad, do you have a coil cover on it if not look to see if you have a small hole worn in the coil somewhere. HH

Okay...Just got back from a short hunt and installed my other coil and detector seems to work fine. I suppose there is no way of saving coil or is there. Hate to be without my 6x10 DD and unfortunately it is out of warranty.

Thanks and HH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call White's in Oregon and see if they might be able to fix it, I think if they can't they might offer you a discounted price for a new replacement after you've sent it in and they determine it can't be fixed. You might ask if it can't be fixed what they might do if it's out of warranty. HH

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call White's in Oregon and see if they might be able to fix it, I think if they can't they might offer you a discounted price for a new replacement after you've sent it in and they determine it can't be fixed. You might ask if it can't be fixed what they might do if it's out of warranty. HH

Its worth a shot. Just like door knocking for permission, you never know unless you ask.

Thanks and HH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know what you hear, hope they can fix it or get a replacement at cost of a used one at least. HH
Its worth a shot. Just like door knocking for permission, you never know unless you ask.

Thanks and HH

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know what you hear, hope they can fix it or get a replacement at cost of a used one at least. HH

Today I am going to have a friend try the coil on his V3i and then I'll go from there.

Thanks and HH

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better yet. Try your friends coil on yours. Overloads at that gain are bad coils 99 % of the time.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also have to watch and make sure your 6X10DD coil is V rated and nulled for the V3i or it might not run that hot just because of that, there should be a V somewhere in the serial number which I believe is on the mounting ear of the coil if it's a V rated or nulled for the V3i. The V rated coils will work fine on the other detectors but the V rated coils will run hotter on the V3i than the none V rated or at least they don't guarantee they will with high boost on the V3i unless it's a V nulled coil. HH

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread