Spectra V3I or VX3 - Looking for guidance

sniper-medic

Jun 21, 2007
Mendota, Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT, Spectrum DFX, and White's Spectra VX3
Looking to purchase either a White's VX3 or a V3I. I'd like to hear from some owner's of these machines and what you like or don't like about either machine. Some Pro's & Con's or maybe a your thoughts on a different machine all together. My last detector was a White's Spectrum XLT. I live in Illinois and mainly coin shoot, search parks, old properties, etc. Thanks in advance for your comments.....

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello. so i had been reading reviews on different machines and the v3i was on my list , i ordered and paid for a 800 dollar machine and was sent a v3i . now i double checked and i did not get what i paid for but iam not complaining , amazon said i could keep it or return it . here is my unprofessional review i assembled it - very easy . i took it to my yard played with it for 30 minutes and then watched the supplied video - very good. took it to my local park found 5 coins in 20 minutes - good. then got out my a/t pro and dug 10 more in the same spot - my bad. that showed me experience with the machine is huge. i have had it out 4 more times since and i love the rechargeable battery . its excellent in trashy areas and gives you tons of choices for auto settings that are programmed in the machine . the machine is light and balanced well . To be honest i was very intimidated initially by the machines capabilities and thought i would not be taking advantage of them. oh and the wireless head phones work well and are very comfortable . i went to one of local parks that has a river running through it and the bank had so much trash , i took the a/t pro back to the truck after 30 min of digging good hits and coming up with junk and with the v3i deep silver setting on was able to find 4 silver dimes and a quarter in the same spot . so iam keeping it and added it to my fleet .

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To get the most out of the V3i I wouldn't stick to the preprogramed programs, there are some programs you might start with and tailor it to your ground. I know there's a program called magic's program on the White's detector forum site that would be a good start, I've detected with him and he knows the V3i for sure and was an original tester for the V3i before they even came out. HH

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish it were lighter weight. And could run user selectable two-frequency correlate. I want to choose which frequencies correlate! And had a clock. And had a thermometer. And had an MP3 player...really!

There are times I like to dance while swinging and groove while digging. Then there are long hike scouting missions. Currently I'll turn up the volume on the V3i, ditch the headphones, and use a JBL Flip3 for that. It sounds great, but I'd be cool with a dual speaker machine too.

These things could replace the stupid icons. Put that crap on a menu similar to the beginner menu and give me ultimate control over them.

Then I'll need a USB cord to PROGRAM THE COLORS OF MY SCHEMES, at least.:headbang:

I want more resolution - moar rezolution! :headbang:

I want to select and adjust tone blending qualities - user adjustable tone id blending! :headbang:

I want the hand grip to be 1" longer. Adjustable hand space below the trigger! :headbang:

That said, the V3i will find the goods. So will a PI machine.

I'm not here to push one.

Good luck. :thumb_up:

Last edited:

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello. so i had been reading reviews on different machines and the v3i was on my list , i ordered and paid for a 800 dollar machine and was sent a v3i . now i double checked and i did not get what i paid for but iam not complaining , amazon said i could keep it or return it . here is my unprofessional review i assembled it - very easy . i took it to my yard played with it for 30 minutes and then watched the supplied video - very good. took it to my local park found 5 coins in 20 minutes - good. then got out my a/t pro and dug 10 more in the same spot - my bad. that showed me experience with the machine is huge. i have had it out 4 more times since and i love the rechargeable battery . its excellent in trashy areas and gives you tons of choices for auto settings that are programmed in the machine . the machine is light and balanced well . To be honest i was very intimidated initially by the machines capabilities and thought i would not be taking advantage of them. oh and the wireless head phones work well and are very comfortable . i went to one of local parks that has a river running through it and the bank had so much trash , i took the a/t pro back to the truck after 30 min of digging good hits and coming up with junk and with the v3i deep silver setting on was able to find 4 silver dimes and a quarter in the same spot . so iam keeping it and added it to my fleet .

Just curious about what you ordered for $800? Seems odd they let you keep an $1800 machine.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish it were lighter weight. And could run user selectable two-frequency correlate. I want to choose which frequencies correlate! And had a clock. And had a thermometer. And had an MP3 player...really!

There are times I like to dance while swinging and groove while digging. Then there are long hike scouting missions. Currently I'll turn up the volume on the V3i, ditch the headphones, and use a JBL Flip3 for that. It sounds great, but I'd be cool with a dual speaker machine too.

These things could replace the stupid icons. Put that crap on a menu similar to the beginner menu and give me ultimate control over them.

Then I'll need a USB cord to PROGRAM THE COLORS OF MY SCHEMES, at least.:headbang:

I want more resolution - moar rezolution! :headbang:

I want to select and adjust tone blending qualities - user adjustable tone id blending! :headbang:

I want the hand grip to be 1" longer. Adjustable hand space below the trigger! :headbang:

That said, the V3i will find the goods. So will a PI machine.

I'm not here to push one.

Good luck. :thumb_up:
Don't forget the cup holder. :)

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
The v3i and vx3 are essentially the same machine just the vx3 is missing a few features. Imo the v3i is worth the extra money .

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had both. The VX3 is a stripped down version of the V3i. I believe the coil size selection is not on the VX3 and also the language selection isnt there. There are a few more things. I found using the stock programs until you learn what each function does will help out big time. The main mistake people make is messing with selections and having no idea what they do. If you adjust the wrong thing, your depth goes away big time.

The biggest complaint I had with both of them is the screen. I love the color display and all the information I got from them. But I also hated all the information I got from them. It seemed to give me too many reasons not to dig. Also the screen size is great but when it catches the sun, your eyeballs will feel it!! I suggest getting some sort of block for the screen so the sun doesnt blind you. That was a BIG reason for me geting rid of both and going to an MXT.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the VX3 and love it. I am thinking about up grading to the V3I for the extra options it has. The first thing i did with the vx3 was get a d2 coil for it and use the 950 for the beach. That was the best thing i did for my area. I live in the coal region with a lot of mineralization the DD coil unleashed the beast. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.. Good luck

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking to purchase either a White's VX3 or a V3I. I'd like to hear from some owner's of these machines and what you like or don't like about either machine. Some Pro's & Con's or maybe a your thoughts on a different machine all together. My last detector was a White's Spectrum XLT. I live in Illinois and mainly coin shoot, search parks, old properties, etc. Thanks in advance for your comments.....

I own an Eagle II. If I can afford another detector in the future I will purchase a Vx3, and use the Eagle II as a backup. I have some very old legacy detectors that are very very old, which I will never sell at any price. If you can afford it get the Vx3 then use the XLT as a backup for it. If you can't afford it, then trade in your XLT. I had to trade in a 6000 Di Series 3,(with a ten and four inch coil), to get the Eagle II. I found at a minimun of 8 inches a coin spill about 30 years ago, with it. Some times I check Ebay for said detector and, would purchse a 5900, but I have other prorities at this time. The 6000 Di S3 is a pure analog detector.

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
I just bought a used V3i on 02-10-17 for a steal of a deal. I own several detectors and started to play with the V3i. I have found that the it is an awesome detector and affords the user a lot of information about the target before you dig. Using the polar plot can quickly tell you if it is a good target or junk. I am very pleased so far but have so much more to learn about it. I also own an Mx sport which is a very good detector which has the latest firmware and works good in the saltwater as well as wet and dry sand at the beaches on the west coast of a Florida.

Last edited:

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The V3i will be my next detector. :occasion14: :icon_thumright:

MattPa

Aug 15, 2017
westerm PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 2 barber quarters and a 1917 type 1 standing liberty with my v31 today. Taking the time to really learn the v and there is about nothing it wont do. The one hurdle I am having some difficulty with at times is very high EMI. I'm not sure anything would deal with it that much better in the areas I've had problems though.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, you'll enjoy it!

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my V3i a week ago so lots to learn about it. Only been out with it three times. so far loving it you wont go wrong with the V3i or any white's unit.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The V3i is a very capable machine with lots of settings to play with for a Tech. Nerd like me!

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is it with my V3i I will get a VDI in the high + 80, or 90s saying its silver but turns out to iron or an old rusty can? Shouldn't it read - 80s or 90s and not +? Am I doing something wrong?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread