Nov 3, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's M6 and White's MXT Pro

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kids detectors can be as challenging to buy as any other metal detector. If you don't buy enough machine the kids end up digging nails and screws and get bored quickly. If you spend too much you may find that they have little interest in the hobby and you've wasted your money.

My first kids detector was the Bounty Hunter Jr. It was an analog machine with a volt meter type display. This was a total waste of money and the kids wouldn't use it. For christmas I bought them a Digital M3 detector from Kellyco. These were discontinued machines and I got it for $50. It has the basic controls, sensitivity, discrimination, and ID's targets. I threw about $15 worth of coins in the back yard and the kids have fun finding money at grandpa's house.

IMHO: I'd either buy the White's Xventure or the Garrett 150, unless of course you could get a deal like the one I found. Hope this helps, good luck finding one for your nephew. Tt

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chowder

Nov 3, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Thanks, you gave me some things to think about. I would be cool with $50 or anything under $100 for a youngster starting out. I was hoping to stay brand loyal and if he was really into it; I was going to give him my trusty Whites M6 (love that machine). Thanks again for throwing out some ideas.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We bought a Ace 150 for a 8yo, created a little metal detecting monster, & the boy wants to melt every piece of metal he finds. Wonder what's in HIS future?

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with brand loyalty. I find a lot of people seem to think that when comparing metal detectors, depth and sensitivity are the major factors. However, the design of most metal detector circuits are very different and brand association helps over come the "learning curve" when upgrading machines. IMHO White's Electronics designs the best electronic circuits for identifying valuable targets and discriminating trash.

I occasionally hit Pawn Shops hoping for a high end detector at a good price. This never seems to happen with one exception. I have found several White's Coinmaster detectors at Pawn Shops under $100. Just a thought, Tt

Last edited:

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, you gave me some things to think about. I would be cool with $50 or anything under $100 for a youngster starting out. I was hoping to stay brand loyal and if he was really into it; I was going to give him my trusty Whites M6 (love that machine). Thanks again for throwing out some ideas.
Amazon is selling them for $99

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know you would like to stay with Whites but don't rule out a minelab go find 40 or 60. I had the 60 for 2 years and it's a good machine even quiet on wet salt beach, finding coins down to about 6 inches.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
C

chowder

Nov 3, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
I know you would like to stay with Whites but don't rule out a minelab go find 40 or 60. I had the 60 for 2 years and it's a good machine even quiet on wet salt beach, finding coins down to about 6 inches.

Thanks, but not too sure I want to spend that much money on starter detector for him. Not sure I would spend that much money on my wife...kidding. All though, I would get some serious Uncle points.

Not to get off topic, but I was actually looking at the go60 for myself. I like how it compacts and fits into a backpack. I believe, there's a post I saw a few years back, and some where deep in these forums, someone in Australia, if I remember correctly, had a compact/folding shaft machined for a Whites detector.

Anyways, thanks for the ideas. I'll have to talk to the boss, my wife, and see what she would like to do.

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks, but not too sure I want to spend that much money on starter detector for him. Not sure I would spend that much money on my wife...kidding. All though, I would get some serious Uncle points.

Not to get off topic, but I was actually looking at the go60 for myself. I like how it compacts and fits into a backpack. I believe, there's a post I saw a few years back, and some where deep in these forums, someone in Australia, if I remember correctly, had a compact/folding shaft machined for a Whites detector.

Anyways, thanks for the ideas. I'll have to talk to the boss, my wife, and see what she would like to do.

Just a heads up about the go find 60, one thing that I really did not like was the arm cuff was very narrow, so if you were wearing a thick jacket I could not get myself comfortable using it even though I only weight 2 lbs as I I couldn't get my hold were I wanted it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread