Whites xlt

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a multi-freq or PI machine. Single freq's ALL suck in saltwater.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was wondering which machine would be better for the beach in yall's opinion? Newish to the hobby and don't know the difference as far as frequencies. Is the xlt single? My my sport does not like the salt here on my island. Any help would be great.

Tight lines and deep plugs

Yes, the White's XLT is a single frequency detector. It should do find in the dry sand but would have difficulty with wet sand or saltwater. The MX Sport is also single frequency and so it too has limitations. It does have an additional "salt track" feature that helps off-set the conductivity of the salt in wet sand. This feature allows ground tracking into the positive VDI numbers which makes the machine more stable, but can result in the loss of small gold items. As you noted the MX Sport doesn't like to have the coil submerged in saltwater and requires the sensitivity to be turned down so low that there is a major loss of depth. Tests indicate that the 950 concentric coil may preform better when submerged in saltwater and there are other coils like the Detech 7 inch that are yet to be tested. These coil options may help performance a little and be okay for the occasional beach hunter, but if you live on the island and hunt often, as Terry suggested, you would need a multi-frequency or PI detector made specifically for saltwater hunting to get the results you want. Hope this helps, Tt

CC_IN_CA

Jun 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Tecknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, single frequency machines won't work well on salty wet beach. Get a multi frequency machine such as Minelab Sovereign. If you buy used, make sure it was used inland. The salt air tends to corrode machines so used beach machines suffer considerably.

roccus

Jun 2, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your thinking along the XLT line look at a DFX they are dual frequency

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DFX or V series. Look at used V rather than new.. Never will buy a new MD, worse than buying a car, you loose your shirt and pants after you take it out of the box for the first time and try and sell it..
Should be able to find a DFX for about $375 V3i around $800

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions