Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a White's MX5 and I understand they accept the "eclipse family coils" from White's. I was on White's website and also found the "Detech Ultimate Coil" which is a 13" coil that White's says is compatible with the MX5. I'm looking for input on these coils. I'm looking for a coil to use in areas that are less trashy, and one that is larger in diameter than the stock coil on the detector. Thanks in advance for the input.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pros (on a DFX) well balanced, feels light than the 950 due to pivot point being in the center
covers large areas
Has fairly good separation for it's size.
Works very well on sports fields

Cons
EMI magnet
Gets snagged on anything, no good for farm fields with any stubble or grass over and inch or 2. No good in the woods
Open design is delicate and will react when bump if you have sensitivity cranked
Not so great on the beach, coil cover is not sealed and just snaps on.. remove so sand does not get in between the coil and cover.
I have had about 3 of these trying to get one that does not false when bumped .. gave up and only use it on sports fields now.
Depth reading is way of on shallow target. Pinpoint is normally off on shallow targets.

Over all, covers a lot of ground, easy to swing, works well in the proper environment.

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What coil are you speaking about??

Pros (on a DFX) well balanced, feels light than the 950 due to pivot point being in the center
covers large areas
Has fairly good separation for it's size.
Works very well on sports fields

Cons
EMI magnet
Gets snagged on anything, no good for farm fields with any stubble or grass over and inch or 2. No good in the woods
Open design is delicate and will react when bump if you have sensitivity cranked
Not so great on the beach, coil cover is not sealed and just snaps on.. remove so sand does not get in between the coil and cover.
I have had about 3 of these trying to get one that does not false when bumped .. gave up and only use it on sports fields now.
Depth reading is way of on shallow target. Pinpoint is normally off on shallow targets.

Over all, covers a lot of ground, easy to swing, works well in the proper environment.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Detech Ultimate 13 coil is awesome. I've used them on my DFX and V3i. They are light weight go deep and separate very well in trashy areas. I now use the Detech 12 x15 unbelievable coil as well. Beware of the White's hater group. If it's not White's they will trash them. Detech is now accepted by Whites and works with them to put out super coils. You can even order detectors with Detech coils from Whites.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What coil are you speaking about??
U13 which is what the OP asked about. I have had it since it first came out and as I said, sent 2 of them back over the months.. I did track the serial number each one was different..

OP
OP
KJP462

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm not sure if I'll be adding any coils this year, but never too soon to start researching. If you were to add a coil that's made by White's, which one would be the best to go with from the eclipse line? It's my understanding that the eclipse line of coils are the only ones that my MX5 will accept. I'd like to get a coil that is larger than the stock one.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some folks seem to have good luck with the 10" D2, but it's outrageously expensive. I've also read that it doesn't offer much more performance over the 6x10 eclipse, which is what I'm currently running. My soil is highly mineralized, and I did notice quite a difference in performance when I swapped out the 950 and put the 6x10 on. Next one in line for me is the Detech 13" to squeak out a bit more depth in non-trashy areas.

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up a 12"spider by Whites a few years ago. Don't know if they still offer it or not, but good coverage and depth on my MXT.
luvsdux

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The D2 coil is awesome on the MXT better separation and depth over the 950 for sure, the ultimate13 coil gives as good as depth and hits a little better on those deep coins setting on edge. Like stated the 13" coil is only good for open grass area's and does great in parks covering more ground per swing, I can get dimes 10"+ with some being a few being at a full 12" before with the D2 or ultimate 13" coil. HH

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just pulled the U13 out of the bag after sitting for a few months and it will no longer ground balance or pick up the door of the car until you almost touch it.. will be going back for a 3rd or 4th time... I have lost count.. Will have almost payed double after shipping it yet again.. Guess it does not like being in a whites bag with whites coils.. maybe those real white coils beat up the migrant coil over the winter.. I just do't get it.. hardly used the U13.. and it is dead as a door nail..

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my U13 coil since right after they came out and haven't had any problems with mine at all, just goes to show any manufactures coils can be or go bad. I've seen lots of people complain about the D2 when it first came out they did have problems with it and people were saying that it doesn't happen to the detech coils. HH

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My luck just sucks!

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just pulled the U13 out of the bag after sitting for a few months and it will no longer ground balance or pick up the door of the car until you almost touch it.. will be going back for a 3rd or 4th time... I have lost count.. Will have almost payed double after shipping it yet again.. Guess it does not like being in a whites bag with whites coils.. maybe those real white coils beat up the migrant coil over the winter.. I just do't get it.. hardly used the U13.. and it is dead as a door nail..
Did it get banged around?

i always put a towel or rag around coils

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No in a bag on the shelf in the basement.. big whites md bag, long gun style would hold the machine assembled if I used it for that.. untouched since the last time I used it in the fall.
this is like the 3rd one that has had issues.. The coils are covered in epoxy .. nothing damaged.. must be the connector or the connection at the coil.. stress relief collar is not loose or bent.. just unreal bad luck I guess. At least is isn't my Pacemaker!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A happy update! Called Sweet Home and they said to ship it out.
Before I did, took it outside and wiggled the wire at the box which would make it false. So holding the wire in on direction, I ground balanced and it worked..
Took the coil wire off the box and noticed a little cutout near the screw end of the barrel with a tab in the center.. pushed in on the tab while pushing the cable and connector out of the barrel. Everything on the wire connectors looked intact as it was covered with clear silicon. So I bent that tab up so it would have better contract with the barrel as it appeared to be the coils ground. There is no wire soldered to the barrel. Slid it back together and all is well, for now.. Glad I looked one more time in the bright sun before wasting more money shipping it back.
Hope that helps the next guy..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions