Little help need a profesional opinion?

nor kal kid

Feb 19, 2014
northern kalifornia, Bay area
Detector(s) used
XLT, Mxt all pro, garrett pp.coils 10"DD, 950, 12"spyder.for mxt all pro. Coils for xlt 950 and 15" magnum force field "depth plus"mxt max coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think im ready to pull the trigger on a beach machine.made an offer on a whites surf pi pro they want 425.00 plus 25 for shipping or i could go for aminelab sovereign gt for a little less.i could also get a minelabsovereign xs 2a pro for about the same price both do not have meters.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no professional, but if I were buying a detector for use at the beach I would definitely buy a waterproof one. I don't think either Minelab you mentioned can be submerged under water. Good luck with your purchase. Let us know what you decide. :) Tt

Last edited:

CC_IN_CA

Jun 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Tecknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am no professional, but if I were buying a detector for use at the beach I would definitely buy a waterproof one. I don't think either Minelab you mentioned can be submerged under water. Good luck with your purchase. Let us know what you decide. :) Tt

Problem is waterproof Minelab is quite a bit more $$$. You can use Minelab Sovereign on beach, but salt air will take its toll in corrosion after a few years. With that in mind, buy a used one that was not used on the beach, and as new as possible. There are some really old ones out there. The GT is probably newer than the XS 2A, as GT was released later, but no guarantee which is newer. Ask about age from seller and where it was used. BTW, I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on if you plan on getting wet or not.

If you want to wade in the water and not worry about your machine, get a waterproof unit. You WILL eventually get your machine wet if you're going out into thigh high water or deeper. Sneaker waves just happen no matter how careful you are. PI machines are an inexpensive way to get out into the surf. Yes you will dig more trash/iron. But you also have access to an entire section of the ocean that you cannot detect with a land machine. This means you can get into the trenches/sandbars during high tides if you choose. Those areas are only accessible during low tide if you don't plan on getting into the water.

If you only want to detect the whole beach during low tide and basically schedule your detecting times around the tides which are always changing, get a land machine, and benefit from discrimination. Not that you can't detect during high tide. But using a waterproof machine means the changes in tides don't chase me off the section of wet sand I'm detecting If I'm ok with getting wet. If you don't want to get into the water beyond ankle to knee deep a land machine should be fine.

You'll find clad and jewelry and junk either way. Most of the good beach detecting is done in good cuts. When there is a lack of cuts there is a lack of targets. Watch the tides, swells and storms and be ready to be on dawn patrol. Early birds get the gold.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Save your money and get a good water machine. You will wish you did as soon as you buy something inferior.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy the water proof one. Once you find a few gold rings you will be able to trade up or stay with what you have. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread