V3i or something else?

Chunter

Greenie
Mar 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V3i owners? help..!!.

I am looking at purchasing a new detector and I want some input before I spend money. I have narrowed down my search to the tesoro vaquero and the V3i. I live in Va and will be using the machine to coin, relic and beach hunt. I like the Vaquero for price, weight, depth, warranty (lifetime) features. Its a beep and dig machine that can get a quarter at 10/12"....some machines that cost twice as much cant do that. I also like what I see with V3i...3 frequencies, customize settings......but....its heavy, heard of stock coil issues, not sure of depth, 2yr warranty. I don't know anyone that has either of these machines nor have I used them. I don't want to regret my purchase buying the vaquero and wanting to upgrade later or buying big now and thinking the tesoro would have done the same thing cheaper???? Sorry to talk in circles but how happy are you with the V3i and would you buy it again. Thank you all:)

Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Disclaimer: It's my favorite machine and I would buy again. I don't care if you buy either or neither. I'll comment - take it or leave it. I hope it makes the process easier for you. I don't push products. I'm a power user...swinging 20-60 hours/week 50 weeks a year. I mix it up, but jewelry hunting is my main game...I'm telling you this so you know something about the commenter. I never liked salesmen who were working. At the bar they are lots of fun though!

I've never used the Tesoro so can't comment there other than its specs.

Those two machines are in totally different classes from each other. It's not a fair comparison to either machine...IMO.

If the beach you mentioned is saltwater beach, then V3i hands down.

V3i is more Swiss Army knife-like. Far more flexible to do a wider range of hunting. You'll get far more room to grow and branch out with the V3i. Great coil selection.

It eats batteries though! It'll kill you on batteries. The best long term solution are the RnB L-ion battery packs.

It does get heavy swinging for long periods without stopping to dig. In open fields and a 15" coil with very few targets and no sling I'm getting sore after 2-3 hours. At a park or homesite where I'm digging every 2-5 minutes it's not an issue at all and I can go all day. So something to consider. I also own a sling to support the weight on those field hunts, and when in use I can literally swing the V3i 15x12 sef coil with one finger. Just sayin'.

Depth will depend on many variables. 10-12 on a coin doesn't mean squat if it's not your ground the coin is in. Take depth claims with a bag of salt. The V3i will detect deep - depending on the ground and what one considers "deep". Deep in Colorado might be 4-5 inches. Deep in Florida might be 12-14 inches. Deep where I am is 9-10 inches or more. I have yet to see any unit I own hit a quarter much beyond 11 inches in my midwest prairie dirt. They might be rarely at that depth around here though. I have hit crushed aluminum cans at nearly two feet before, so depending on size/mass most machines can go plenty deep.

There are not issues with the stock coils any longer. Seems old problems die hard and I see many people today commenting on this still. My D2 has always worked fine and is very sensitive. Now you can get them with a 13" coil stock too, so there is that if you still have concerns.

Warranty. I hear both companies take care of their own very well. I'm a few years out of warranty on my V3i and have never had to send it in, but I hear it's quick and mostly painles$.

It's going to depend a lot on you. You'll need to spend far more time learning with the V3i to get the most out of it...but it can also be ran turn on and go - beep and dig if you wanted.

If you are a technology geek personality type that likes to experiment and tinker, then there is only one choice in the whole market, IMO.

The obvious solution is for you to get both! 8-)

Good luck!

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deft Tones nailed it.

I can only add that my favorite machine is the V3i and that I'd definitely purchase one again. The learning curve isn't nearly as rough as it is made out to be, but there is a learning curve.

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
I bought a used V3i and I like it. I own Mine lab CTX 3030, Excalibur ii, xterra 705, Garrett Gti 2000, Garrett ace 250 and whites Mx sport. The V3i which I am still learning seems is a well built machine and provides a lot of information. I am tossed between CTX 3030 and V3i but leaning more toward the V3i. If it were made water proof with same features It would be hard to beat. MX sport is also a great machine and is water proof.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite "dig most of it all" machine is my deus. My favorite machine for trashy homesteads is my deus. BUT! The majority of my hunting is parks. The v3i is absolutely unbeatable when it comes to target ID in parks. If im going to hunt jewelry, it's the v3i I'm taking hands down.
Between the two you listed, they are in two different classes entirely. Buy the v3i, pick defts brain and don't look back. It's an incredible and versatile machine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

stoney

Oct 12, 2012
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy. Until this morning I owned both of these machines. I think they are each the top of the heap in their class. The Vaq is great everywhere but salt beaches in my experience. It simply will not balance on these New England beaches. Elsewhere, if one takes the time to really learn how to listen to the machine, it is amazing and fun. The V3i is great everywhere and has more options than the space shuttle. Truly a geeks delight. As has been mentioned, the V3i is as good a turn-on-and-go machine as one can get, but looking into the menus full of options is a whole new level of fun.

So, what Deft Tones said...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread