White's XLT Goes One for Two!

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This story begins last November…when I bought a new White’s MX Sport. At that time, I took the batteries out of my XLT and put it away. I wanted to focus on the new detector without being tempted to go back to the old tried and true machine.

Recently I took the XLT out again, put the batteries in and fired it up. I’ve realized that the MXS is a better Mix Mode hunter then the XLT so that freed up one of the custom programs. I’ve always wanted a custom “Silver Only” program and now I have a place to save it!

I knew exactly what settings I would use and went about programming my “H Digs Silver” program. This thing is sweet! I set it up to respond only at the silver dime and above range. Then I turned the threshold so low that I can just barely hear it (sometimes not). I tried it Monday night and got my first real tone, VDI 76-77, DC Phase 63, 6 ½ inches. With great excitement and anticipation I dug the hole…a crushed can...oh. The program still needed tweaking…but most of the trash and can slaw had been eliminated. Oh…for one!

Last night I tried again. I searched for an hour and a half and only got two or three broken tones. These were clearly not silver coins. I just walked around swinging this thing and doing nothing! I found myself moving faster and faster, probably hoping to get a tone. I had to remind myself to slow down to get good coverage. After what seemed like eternity I got that first sweet signal! VDI 81-82, DC Phase 79, depth 4 ½ inches, DIG! Out of the hole comes a 1961 D Roosevelt dime. Awesome! One for One!

I continued to hunt for another 30 minutes and got my second signal. VDI 81-84, DC Phase 72, Depth 5-6 inches. One more dig…dig deeper…. deeper…I stopped digging at 8-9 inches. Whatever it was, it wasn’t a coin. One for Two…time to go home while I’m still ahead.

Here’s something I noticed when running tests on the program. When a dime is deeper that 7-8 inches you can get a crackly tone. It’s enough to get your attention, but not a clear tone by any means. However, the SignaGraph will built a single bar without a VDI number. The DC Phase stays in the high positive numbers and if the depth reads correctly 6-8+ inches…dig!

Here’s the pics, thanks for looking, Tt

Silver dime 1.png Silver dime 2.png

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread