04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT PRO,
Whites MXT TRACKER E-SERIES
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a AT PRO and a MXT and just purchased my friends V3i and it took it for a test run today. I went to a spot where I've hunted a number of times with my other detectors and both handled the dirt fairly well. What I found out was the V3i with the 10" DD coil using the stock coin and jewelry program wouldn't take more than 3 on the gain setting without it overloading. I also saved some settings on the coin and jewelry program that I can't seem to erase. In programs it sows a + after that program that doesn't go away after a restore. Also, can't figure out how to turn up the pinpoint volume, is this due to the gain being set to low? I only found two coins, good news is they were both Wheaties. Any help will be much appreciated.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you have the 10" DD selected under Loop Selection in the Expert Menu.

What are your All Met and Discrim settings? Is TX boost off?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you have the 10" DD selected under Loop Selection in the Expert Menu.

What are your All Met and Discrim settings? Is TX boost off?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Coil To The Soil,
Can you tell me how to select coil, I have 4 coils for this machine. I just found a post on how to do a factory reset and will try again in the field. But to answer your questions, discrimination 75 and all metal 55. Tx Boost box had no x, so don't know if that's on or off.

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I own a AT PRO and a MXT and just purchased my friends V3i and it took it for a test run today. I went to a spot where I've hunted a number of times with my other detectors and both handled the dirt fairly well. What I found out was the V3i with the 10" DD coil using the stock coin and jewelry program wouldn't take more than 3 on the gain setting without it overloading. I also saved some settings on the coin and jewelry program that I can't seem to erase. In programs it sows a + after that program that doesn't go away after a restore. Also, can't figure out how to turn up the pinpoint volume, is this due to the gain being set to low? I only found two coins, good news is they were both Wheaties. Any help will be much appreciated.

using the stock coin and jewelry prbemogram wouldn't take more than 3 on the gain setting without it overloading.

You got problems, and coil selection in setup is not it. D2 is bad

Last edited:
OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
using the stock coin and jewelry prbemogram wouldn't take more than 3 on the gain setting without it overloading.

You got problems, and coil selection in setup is not it. D2 is bad

McKinney 5900, I have other coils I can try, but before I do I will see if factory reset helped or not.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a bad coil, if it overloads when waist high on a high gain setting it's most likely a bad coil. Try another coil some of your MXT coils might be V rated if not then you might not be able to run them with boost on without overloading, that don't mean there bad just not V rated or V nulled coils. If the coil is bad you might see if White's can fix it and if not they might offer you a new one at a discounted price. HH

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a bad coil, if it overloads when waist high on a high gain setting it's most likely a bad coil. Try another coil some of your MXT coils might be V rated if not then you might not be able to run them with boost on without overloading, that don't mean there bad just not V rated or V nulled coils. If the coil is bad you might see if White's can fix it and if not they might offer you a new one at a discounted price. HH

Wingmaster,
I have 3 other coils that are V rated I can try this morning. If coil is bad, it is still under warranty. I recall when hunting with my friend who sold me the v3i at certain places he would say the machine was really unstable and at others he would mention that it was working perfectly. He mentioned that it was mostly unstable in sandy soil.

Last edited:
OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out whites forum and get manuals and programs etc and lots of good information. White's Electronics, Inc. Forums

Migrider56,
Info much appreciated. Also I found your post on how to do a factory reset. This somehow solved my overload problem I experienced yesterday with gain at 3 and was able to crank the gain up above the program 7 setting.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
D2's are known for going bad. I'm on my 3rd one. At least you have others to try. If they don't false it's bad for sure.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
The + means you have a duplicate named program stored in the library. You can name it something else and save then you should be able to delete it. It's been several years since I've done that and I can't recall from memory how to do it anymore, but I had the same problem once and fixed it without much trouble.

I'm pretty sure the pinpoint volume is dependent on your audio settings unless you have VCO set to on, which I always do, then it's also dependent on size and depth. I do not believe there is a seperate volume controll that would affect the pinpoint function without also affecting the search and analyze audio also.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the only thing the coil setting does is standardize the depth reading for that coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread