MX Sport inquiry regarding old problems

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for yucks, how much is the Tesoro Sand Shark, good to 200' deep and a LIFETIME warranty? :skullflag:
not advertised on the website, means upon request only

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the thing is, if i calculate shipping+ import taxes from the US, it might even be more expensive, and if u have any problems later, I'll have to send it back to the US factory myself.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not advertised on the website, means upon request only

US$600.00 - Just something to keep in mind. Pulse Induction is the deepest in wet sand and saltwater. PI's don't discriminate, but they pay for themselves a lot quicker! :skullflag:

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
US$600.00 - Just something to keep in mind. Pulse Induction is the deepest in wet sand and saltwater. PI's don't discriminate, but they pay for themselves a lot quicker! :skullflag:
how much depth we talking about approximately compared to vlf/fbs ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An excal with stock coil in all metal can detect targets at 18"+, with 15" coil well over 22" plus the ability to switch to desc to see if target is iron after removing sand when it doesn't first see it in desc mode. All metal in manual sensitivity is far deeper than desc mode.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how much depth we talking about approximately compared to vlf/fbs ?

With an 8" coil on the Tesoro Sand Shark, you can get the same depth as an Excalibur running a 15" coil in "All Metal." There is a HUGE difference. :skullflag:

Last edited:
OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With an 8" coil on the Tesoro Sand Shark, you can get the same depth as an Excalibur running a 15" coil in "All Metal." There is a HUGE difference. :skullflag:

Hi Terry, first of all just let me say, now i recognized u well from your teaching videos on YouTube, One of the best teachers I've seen so far, u know ur stuffs very good.
what i have in mind right now will probably be long to put it together and explain what i think, but plz bare with me.
I worked for Rogers, cellphone company for over 3-4 years, and am very aware of marketing strategies and the in and out of the business. what i see so far, is that Minelab looks to me like Motorola. Always have the most hi-end technology, Most expensive gear, but they are poor on testing their products before hand and had the most defects and comebacks for reparations I've ever witnessed. i honestly hate that, ur paying big bucks on what is supposed to be top notch quality, but in reality a simple motherboard, a couple of plastic tubes, I don't know what their shafts are made of, but seen Anderson offering a light model with fiber carbon and more suitable also for diving. the headphones is something acknowledged by most reviews I've seen to be total garbage, and if you wanna change the inline headphones connectors, a small plastic cover with a connector, an o-ring and 2 wires MOD costs 70-80$ usd not including shipping from UK. A spare lithium battery not bigger than 2 x 18650 rechargable battery cost 160-210$ (depending of your area). Knobs also seem to be a big problem as they tend to brake. Now while also taking in consideration the regular Don Joe usage and how much maintenance and care one puts into it, it comes at a really expensive price on the long run. And i cannot emphasize on how much i hate any company who act like such. Why not just selling the main unit compartment and let people buy the rest ?! I have no idea how much Mods cost, but in all, in 2-3 years of service, wish most of the time your rubber cables and headphones, knobs, etc.....haven't yet broken under UV light the first year, this thing could litteraly cost 3000$ +.
Unless you into luxury resorts area or a good spot so to speak, good luck making your money back. And i also find it very sad that the market is heading this ways and customers don't stand their ground to demand better or at least a reasonable warranty and/or product quality to what they paid for.
I Am also tempted by the FBS/BBS technology as i believe it will lead me to more targets, and especially if I can discriminate them, I don't care how much deep i goes as much as how much ground i can cover, and discriminating iron is a major plus.
What made me hesitate about the Tesoro Sand Shark are 3 primary things.
1- the lifetime warranty is not interchangeable in case of a secondary owner, the base unit cable itself is not under warranty from tears, wish is one of the most sensitive areas where cable will flex and be under use.
2- In my area, we don't have much of a towel line, people usually hangs in a restaurant on top of the dry sand, with tables etc....so i have like 80% of dry sand to cover compared to the wet sand area. Also our beaches are not flat, even with a high tide, it's like at a 30% degree angle, water don't go up much, as the government made sure to fill it with a lot of sand to protect properties on the other side of the beach, so I'm worried about the performance of the tesoro on dry sand.
3- The SS battery compartment has the pcb board and wires exposed compared to the Garrett Sea hunter, a single drop of water in there, and your doomed.

With that being said, i do feel kinda forced to buy and excal because I think it's performance will be "overall" better for the environment I'm in.
i just gotta make sure i daily treat it like a baby. on our mexican style ebay called "mercadolibre", they sell silicone in grease, liquid and spray form 1,2,4.4 pounds. A 2Kg (4.4lbs) cost about 100$, don't know about the other formats.
I'm slowly starting to head toward the Excalibur 2, with the special earphones connection mod to start with, (make sure i don't get stuck with a useless unit coz the earphones won't work later, would cost less then repairing it) if it's still available, coz minelab also don't hold old inventory pieces/stock unfortunately to start with, eventually if i make some finds and money, I'll slowly upgrade it and buy and extra battery, custom shafts, etc.....
What's your thoughts about it plz ? I also do appreciate all your feedbacks and help, I'm just trying to do what seems best for me as a long term solution.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno if the MX Sport is still on the table, but if most of your detecting is on dry sand, I would consider the XP Deus. The new HF coil is deep on small mid-conductor targets (i.e., small gold) and can make the dry to wet sand transition as good as any vlf detector. Light weight and low profile and firmware updates are advantages. European made, also.

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno if the MX Sport is still on the table, but if most of your detecting is on dry sand, I would consider the XP Deus. The new HF coil is deep on small mid-conductor targets (i.e., small gold) and can make the dry to wet sand transition as good as any vlf detector. Light weight and low profile and firmware updates are advantages. European made, also.
Vferrari, Deus was also a big consideration, but I'll wait until they come up with a waterproof unit, it has a lot of features to offer, but taking in and out the waterproofing "cheap" kit is a bit inconvenient. For a remote control that cost 500-600$ at least they could have pushed a little a make it waterproof, can u imagine being caught in a sudden rain and have to hurry up to your car or quickly fit in the kit ?! but for a land machine, it's a beast. I've seen a YouTube video, cheap mod to make a fixed coil cable all the way up the shaft, and waterproof his unit with a 2$ phone case, it becomes rain proof and still uses the wireless system. But they should have made this feature built-in. I hope they consider selling an upgrade kit. But if i make enough money off my finds, I'll sure get it. I'm heading for a ctx3030. you can read about my reason why on the other thread i made. i think it's called "YouTube channel recommendation", i know it has nothing more to do with the initial topic, but the conversation took it's way down this path.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vferrari, Deus was also a big consideration, but I'll wait until they come up with a waterproof unit, it has a lot of features to offer, but taking in and out the waterproofing "cheap" kit is a bit inconvenient. For a remote control that cost 500-600$ at least they could have pushed a little a make it waterproof, can u imagine being caught in a sudden rain and have to hurry up to your car or quickly fit in the kit ?! but for a land machine, it's a beast. I've seen a YouTube video, cheap mod to make a fixed coil cable all the way up the shaft, and waterproof his unit with a 2$ phone case, it becomes rain proof and still uses the wireless system. But they should have made this feature built-in. I hope they consider selling an upgrade kit. But if i make enough money off my finds, I'll sure get it. I'm heading for a ctx3030. you can read about my reason why on the other thread i made. i think it's called "YouTube channel recommendation", i know it has nothing more to do with the initial topic, but the conversation took it's way down this path.

Note that the headphones are FULLY waterproof (i.e., submersible) and because the unit is primarily a tone machine, you do not need to use remote control to use the unit in the water, just the wireless headphones (or you can connect a wired set to the WS4 puck). The only drawback is placing the antenna wire so that it sticks above the water for the puck to receive the coil signal. At that point ii is really no different than a wired machine except you don't have to make the hard connections between the coil antenna wire and the puck. It will perform better than the MX sport in this configuration because of the operating frequency and ability to GB against salt conductivity. It won't be a CTX 3030 or Excalibur II but it is a killer low profile, lightweight machine that kills on mid-conductors like gold. PM me if you want more details.

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Note that the headphones are FULLY waterproof (i.e., submersible) and because the unit is primarily a tone machine, you do not need to use remote control to use the unit in the water, just the wireless headphones (or you can connect a wired set to the WS4 puck). The only drawback is placing the antenna wire so that it sticks above the water for the puck to receive the coil signal. At that point ii is really no different than a wired machine except you don't have to make the hard connections between the coil antenna wire and the puck. It will perform better than the MX sport in this configuration because of the operating frequency and ability to GB against salt conductivity. It won't be a CTX 3030 or Excalibur II but it is a killer low profile, lightweight machine that kills on mid-conductors like gold. PM me if you want more details.
just so i understand u correctly, how do I not need the remote ? the wired earphones supposed to connect to it. if I'm shallow water, I need to put the remote in the waterproof case...

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
by the way, i haven't seen a single review on YouTube about the Deus regarding the gps feature, no one has shown this feature yet.

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the wireless headphones comes with a built in computer, how does the wired waterproof earphones work ?

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm grasping what you mean vferrari, either use the waterproof wireless headphones on dry land without the remote, or hook up wired waterproof earphones to the remote with water kit while in water......it is still inconvenient honestly...... but for me Deus is very versatile, one of the most advanced technology offered, i would primarily use it on land with some little waterproof mods. I'll start out with a ctx, for the sake of my primarily area being hunt. But i also need to check in-depth the gps capabilities and options. see if i can merge ctx3030 data with deus on my pc, that's important for me to have a centralized data of both units on one platform. the only thing i know that it sync with google earth. I haven't checked out yet all technical details of this, and what can be exported/imported into other softwares yet, and how. But as soon as i find a couple of rings, and doing my researches about this issue, I'm getting a hold of this machine.....very fast response, multi frequency selection (1 at a time), wide variety of options, and weight approximately nothing.

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
"Silverslingers" on facebook use the MX Sport on dry land a lot. Go to their facebook page and watch some of their video's :)

OP
OP
cameleon222

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, been a while and thought of giving an update. After long researches and recommendations, i ended up buying the Garrett ATX single coil package. hopefully it arrives tomorrow in the mail. Very exited. will see how it goes, will be posting some pictures or videos soon hopefully.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one, great machine, built like a tank and just as heavy, need a harness to swing it for more than an hour or so. Also, as a PI machine prepare to dig a lot of iron if it exists on your beach. Very sensitive. You will find bobby pins and gold a foot or more down and won't necessarily know it until you recover the target because no target ID display - just low conductor bing-bong and high-conductor bong-bing tones. Don't overly rely on the iron grunt ID feature, only about 50% accurate in my experience.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread