Would a MX Sport be an upgrade for me?

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, been a long time since I've been on the board. I thought I would pose my question since I'm considering upgrading my "waterproof" detector.

I currently own an AT Pro that I've had for years. I think its an "OK" detector. I'd like to do better. I got spoiled when I got a VX3, and then coupled it with the 13". That changed my game in detecting. My problem is that I would like to have a better detector than the AT for wading or in the rain.

I saw the MX sport for the first time a while back at a treasure show here in Texas and was impressed with the settings and such. It seemed to have a depth advantage over the AT....but air tests are just that....air tests...not hours of scrutiny over the soil. The reason I have been leery of pulling the trigger on one is due to how many nearly new ones seem to be for sale in the marketplace. It seems to me like there are a lot of people abandoning ship on this model.

So the question is: Is this an upgrade from what I have? If I paired it with a 13" Ultimate coil?

I also am looking at the Deteknix Quest Pro. I have very little info on this one.

No, the CTX 3030 is not an option due to price point.

Basically, I'm going to get a MX Sport, A Quest Pro.....or if, perhaps, I'm just better off upgrading the coil on my AT and call it a day?

What do you reckon, folks?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a mx sport and the answer is yes. But the question is that is it enough difference make it worth buying? In my mind it has better balance, better screen that's easier to read and back lit, battery life is incredible, depth is great, all metal mode is great to have, target seperation is good. So I would say it is an upgrade, just up to you if it's worth doing, or waiting till you can afford that minelab.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, been a long time since I've been on the board. I thought I would pose my question since I'm considering upgrading my "waterproof" detector.

I currently own an AT Pro that I've had for years. I think its an "OK" detector. I'd like to do better. I got spoiled when I got a VX3, and then coupled it with the 13". That changed my game in detecting. My problem is that I would like to have a better detector than the AT for wading or in the rain.

I saw the MX sport for the first time a while back at a treasure show here in Texas and was impressed with the settings and such. It seemed to have a depth advantage over the AT....but air tests are just that....air tests...not hours of scrutiny over the soil. The reason I have been leery of pulling the trigger on one is due to how many nearly new ones seem to be for sale in the marketplace. It seems to me like there are a lot of people abandoning ship on this model.

So the question is: Is this an upgrade from what I have? If I paired it with a 13" Ultimate coil?

I also am looking at the Deteknix Quest Pro. I have very little info on this one.

No, the CTX 3030 is not an option due to price point.

Basically, I'm going to get a MX Sport, A Quest Pro.....or if, perhaps, I'm just better off upgrading the coil on my AT and call it a day?

What do you reckon, folks?

Great question.
I'm thinking about a MX Sport for my Water/ Rain hunts.

OP
OP
Lakemonster

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for that input. I would save up for the CTX...but that will never happen unless I upgrade my wife, lol.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might want to take a look at the Tesoro Tiger Shark -

Frequency : 12.5 kHzTotal Weight : 4.5 lbs (2 kgs)
Warranty : Lifetime Warranty
Maximum Depth Rating : 200 Feet
Search Modes : Salt Mode, Normal Mode, Silent Search
Motion Discriminate, No-Motion All Metal (Fast & Slow Tune)

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that input. I would save up for the CTX...but that will never happen unless I upgrade my wife, lol.

Upgrading the wife is more expensive than a minelab......

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
MX Sport is a lot of detector, I believe it now ship with water proof head phones, mine is used with the 13"DD coil and w/proof H-P.

Hotled

May 22, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Whites MX Sport
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MX Sport is a lot of detector, I believe it now ship with water proof head phones, mine is used with the 13"DD coil and w/proof H-P.
Yes it does ship with waterproof headphones now, at least mine did and I ordered it on Monday, it arrived Wednesday.
They aren't the best headphones but they work.

cyperpc

Nov 18, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;Fisher CZ-21; White Classic IDX Pro; White Classic SL
I am planning on sale water hunting and planning on buying the Fisher C-21 based on the reviews I have read however the White MX Sport is a newer Machine. I have not seen any reviews on the MX Sport vs the C-21 or Excalibur, How does the MX Sport compare to these Machines in salt water???

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For fresh water the MX Sport should be fine. If looking to use in Salt water, go for a dedicated machine as you will find the MX will require having the sensitivity dialed back and balancing and still not happy with the salt and the AT Pro is not either. It is fine for the dry sand and for fresh water and streams and lakes, etc. I would like the CTX myself but my wife would "trade me in"! Good Luck with your choice and if you can get your hands on units to try, do so. Always helps to have a test drive first.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My hunting buddy has the Tesoro Tiger Shark, and I have both the CTX and the Excal II. In the water I exclusively use the Excal. In my experience the Tiger Shark is just as good in the fresh water as my Excal, except he scoops a whole lot of bobby pins and small iron where with my Excal set in "Discriminate" set at "1", I've yet to scoop one unless it was scooped with a good target. I've also never scooped an ear stud, where he frequently retrieves them. I guess it's a trade off in that respect. Except maybe yesterday was a rare hunt where my target number count exceeded his. He rocks with his Tiger Shark!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions