Are 4900 D series still good detectors in this this day and age?

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a Pawn Shop locally selling an old vintage Whites 4900 D series detector for just $49.

When I first got into metal detecting as a kid around the late 1980s I can remember drooling over those early Whites detectors back in the day. I only had a crummy Compass detector back then. I think it had one knob for tuning, and another for volume and that was it. Would this 4900 D still be comparable to other metal detectors in this day and age, or just a waste of money?

I already own an MXT so, maybe I shouldn't waste my money, I still like the look of those vintage models though.

IMG_2725.JPG

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ruined my right forearm whipping that thing back and forth with that terrible handle.

a wall hanger - totally un-ergonomic.

Boot jack

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2017
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Whites coinmaster
Whites treasure master
Whites QXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had one, not bad. A bit of work running the thing compared to todays equipment.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still play with my 6DB every once in a while...and I carry it with me in case anyone's interested in giving MDing a shot. Easy to teach...even to newbies.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't bother if you have the mxt already. I have the black box 4900D Pro plus that has different handle and is nicely balanced and can swing for quite a while. But your mxt is way better than these older units.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a Pawn Shop locally selling an old vintage Whites 4900 D series detector for just $49.

When I first got into metal detecting as a kid around the late 1980s I can remember drooling over those early Whites detectors back in the day. I only had a crummy Compass detector back then. I think it had one knob for tuning, and another for volume and that was it. Would this 4900 D still be comparable to other metal detectors in this day and age, or just a waste of money?

I already own an MXT so, maybe I shouldn't waste my money, I still like the look of those vintage models though.

View attachment 1487866
The 4900 D series is still good detectors in this this day and age.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread