fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone used their MX Sport in prospecting mode? I am looking to get one of these. I have a GMT, MXT and TDI. I would love to add a waterproof machine in there but I dont want to get rid of the MXT or TDI. But I do want a waterproof machine. Im thinking of getting rid of my GMT for one.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you want a waterproof machine for water hunting or to use in the rain? Salt or Fresh? I believe the MXT is sealed to allow you to use it in moderate rain conditons. If you are looking to take a dip for prospectiing or freshwater target hunting purposes with the MX Sport (I own one but have not extensively water hunted with it) then one knock against it is that the stock coil and OEM coils Whites put out for it are floaters and make it hard to hold the coil under water (less of a problem for the stock DD than for the solid covered accessory coils that White's markets exclusively for the MX Sport). I think that you can now get third-party open coils and that may may alleviate this issue. I will say this, I own both the MX Sport and MXT and they are really two different machines despite some of their similarities, I do not consider the MX Sport a waterproof MXT. I primarily relic hunt, but personally prefer the MXT to the MX Sport though neither is my primary relic machine (that's a Minelab GPX backed up by a Deus because I am relegated to highly mineralized soil in my local region) because the analog controls are easier to deal with in the field for varying conditions than flipping through a lot of menus. I do like the Sport's big display and backlight, but have not pulled a lot of keepers with it. But to be fair, I don't have the swing hours either. I got it as an alternative to the AT Pro (for beach hunting) and like it a lot better than the AT Pro, but I have since been able to effectively waterproof the Deus and have primarily stuck with that when I am going to get wet. As far as prospecting is concerned the 13.9 khz operating frequency is a good "all around" general purpose frequency, but this thing is not a nugget hunter and is basically the same as the MXT's 14 khz as far as gold is concerned.

I also have experience with the TDI. Again, I ended up going with the GPX because it is deeper and where I hunt things have been pretty picked over, but the TDI is a great relic machine in it's own right and a lot less expensive. Don't know about much about the GMT. I think if you went with the MXT, MX Sport, and TDI you would have some great mid-to-high end machines to cover the bases on just about any type of hunting other than wet/surf salt beach (MX Sport is OK on dry sand and will "work" in wet sand and surf, but you would be better served by a waterproof PI machine or multifrequency VLF machine suited for salt beach purposes IMO).

HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
im wanting the MX Sport for hunting in the water. I have a lot of fresh water lakes around where I am. I love my MXT for dry land. Im just looking for something I can get in the water with and not worry about dropping in the water.

I like my TDI also but would love to have a GPX!! I just dont want an argument with the wife on spending that kind of money!!

Do you want a waterproof machine for water hunting or to use in the rain? Salt or Fresh? I believe the MXT is sealed to allow you to use it in moderate rain conditons. If you are looking to take a dip for prospectiing or freshwater target hunting purposes with the MX Sport (I own one but have not extensively water hunted with it) then one knock against it is that the stock coil and OEM coils Whites put out for it are floaters and make it hard to hold the coil under water (less of a problem for the stock DD than for the solid covered accessory coils that White's markets exclusively for the MX Sport). I think that you can now get third-party open coils and that may may alleviate this issue. I will say this, I own both the MX Sport and MXT and they are really two different machines despite some of their similarities, I do not consider the MX Sport a waterproof MXT. I primarily relic hunt, but personally prefer the MXT to the MX Sport though neither is my primary relic machine (that's a Minelab GPX backed up by a Deus because I am relegated to highly mineralized soil in my local region) because the analog controls are easier to deal with in the field for varying conditions than flipping through a lot of menus. I do like the Sport's big display and backlight, but have not pulled a lot of keepers with it. But to be fair, I don't have the swing hours either. I got it as an alternative to the AT Pro (for beach hunting) and like it a lot better than the AT Pro, but I have since been able to effectively waterproof the Deus and have primarily stuck with that when I am going to get wet. As far as prospecting is concerned the 13.9 khz operating frequency is a good "all around" general purpose frequency, but this thing is not a nugget hunter and is basically the same as the MXT's 14 khz as far as gold is concerned.

I also have experience with the TDI. Again, I ended up going with the GPX because it is deeper and where I hunt things have been pretty picked over, but the TDI is a great relic machine in it's own right and a lot less expensive. Don't know about much about the GMT. I think if you went with the MXT, MX Sport, and TDI you would have some great mid-to-high end machines to cover the bases on just about any type of hunting other than wet/surf salt beach (MX Sport is OK on dry sand and will "work" in wet sand and surf, but you would be better served by a waterproof PI machine or multifrequency VLF machine suited for salt beach purposes IMO).

HTH

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Understood on that GPX. That was a chunk of coin and was lucky to find a great deal on a used machine, though it still wasn't cheap. Regarding the MX Sport, if you just want to get MXT-like performance in fresh water, then I think it is a good investment. I think the AT Max gives it a run for its money now though as Garrett has addressed a number of the shortcomings with the AT Pro that made me go with the MX Sport but I am not interested in Beta testing a new machine again (been there, done that with the Sport).

You might be able to find a good deal on a used Sport. In fact, since mine is just collecting dust at the moment because the Deus and MXT cover the bases for me...PM me if you are interested in making an offer on mine - I just haven't gotten around to seriously considering selling it and as a charter member can legitimately put it on the Tnet classifieds so you are not dealing with some random Joe trying to unload his detector. Bought it in the Spring of 2016. It has the software upgrade to address the early performance issues, but I haven't given it a good dunking yet, just used it in a number of foul weather situations and it has held up fine. I have the stock DD and both the 9.5" concentric and the 6 x 10 elliptical accessory coils and the waterproof headphones and all accessories that came in the box plus an extra battery holder that Whites provided when they did the software upgrade. Like I said, it only has a few hours of usage so is in great shape. If not interested in used, I understand and no harm, no foul if you decide to pass on this just thought I would put it out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the offer on the MX sport. used is just fine with me!! I need to get rid of a GMT first. I am going to have to take a look ath teh AT Max.

Understood on that GPX. That was a chunk of coin and was lucky to find a great deal on a used machine, though it still wasn't cheap. Regarding the MX Sport, if you just want to get MXT-like performance in fresh water, then I think it is a good investment. I think the AT Max gives it a run for its money now though as Garrett has addressed a number of the shortcomings with the AT Pro that made me go with the MX Sport but I am not interested in Beta testing a new machine again (been there, done that with the Sport).

You might be able to find a good deal on a used Sport. In fact, since mine is just collecting dust at the moment because the Deus and MXT cover the bases for me...PM me if you are interested in making an offer on mine - I just haven't gotten around to seriously considering selling it and as a charter member can legitimately put it on the Tnet classifieds so you are not dealing with some random Joe trying to unload his detector. Bought it in the Spring of 2016. It has the software upgrade to address the early performance issues, but I haven't given it a good dunking yet, just used it in a number of foul weather situations and it has held up fine. I have both the 10" concentric and elliptical accessory coils and the waterproof headphones and all accessories that came in the box plus an extra battery holder that Whites provided when they did the software upgrade. Like I said, it only has a few hours of usage so is in great shape. If not interested in used, I understand and no harm, no foul if you decide to pass on this just thought I would put it out there.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good, I'm in no hurry so just let me know once you decide what you want to do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions