10.3 KB · Views: 71
  • FB_IMG_1509065447112.jpg
    FB_IMG_1509065447112.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 58

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a one of a kind dig right there. Congrats!

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to ask, how both of you Gent's like the MXSport? I Live in Oregon and like to support Oregon Business, therefore looking close at that unit and the Surfmaster DF, I like the depth available to the surfmaster(100ft) Thanks guys

Congratulations MikeyA on the Skilling, bet that made your week. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Goldfinger450,

I have only had my MX Sport for a couple months now. I am familiar with the MXT language as I owned an MXT Pro a few years ago. The Sport separates and IDs targets fast, especially for having a 10 inch coil. It isn't as light as the T2 but definitely not as heavy as an Etrac.
It can go deep, hitting dimes for me at 8". I found a large 1 ounce .999 fine silver commemorative holiday coin at approximately 10". While this coin is bigger than a silver dollar and should have been found by most detectors, this coin was standing at no more than a 45 degree angle so it was almost on edge. The MX Sport hit it hard. I actually almost gave up when digging. LOL
I still have a lot to learn about some of the great features of this machine but so far, it's a keeper. Next purchase will be a smaller coil then the waterproof White's headphones.
While I am not an expert, I have owned other White's models, Garretts, Minelabs, and Teknetics detectors. I learned them pretty good and can't really say anything bad about them. I would recommend this MX Sport to those that have had detector experience. It isn't difficult to learn but there are better detectors for newbies.
In my experience, one thing that White's does better than the rest is take care of their customers. No better customer service in the industry. For what these detectors cost, that should be a huge factor in deciding on one.

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunting in an area with a long Swedish history and I uncovered my first foreign coin. An 1824 Carl XIV 1/2 Skilling coin lit up my screen with a bouncy 80-82 VDI!

That is an absolutely awesome find! Nice going!

OP
OP
M

Mikeya9697

Mar 8, 2017
Knoxville Illinois
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! It was definitely a thrill once I was able to identify it( internet is great, no??!!) and date it.
My only previous experience with metal detectors was an older Prizm IV. The guy that I hunt with has an E Trac, but he either is not understanding it, or it has some issues. It isn't picking up coins very well. Yesterday I picked up 2 quarters 4" deep right out of his foot prints!. I absolutely love the Sport and I find myself falling back to the relic program more and more. In areas that we have hunted heavily, I can frequently go back and find another coin hiding amongst the trash...I leave the SAT at 4 and usually run the sensitivity at 4 in our soil here. I also have the 13" Detech coil, but it doesn't ID or pinpoint as accurately as the stock 10"DD. The stock coil seems to hit plenty deep, too, especially if there is good moisture in soil.

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone! It was definitely a thrill once I was able to identify it( internet is great, no??!!) and date it.
My only previous experience with metal detectors was an older Prizm IV. The guy that I hunt with has an E Trac, but he either is not understanding it, or it has some issues. It isn't picking up coins very well. Yesterday I picked up 2 quarters 4" deep right out of his foot prints!. I absolutely love the Sport and I find myself falling back to the relic program more and more. In areas that we have hunted heavily, I can frequently go back and find another coin hiding amongst the trash...I leave the SAT at 4 and usually run the sensitivity at 4 in our soil here. I also have the 13" Detech coil, but it doesn't ID or pinpoint as accurately as the stock 10"DD. The stock coil seems to hit plenty deep, too, especially if there is good moisture in soil.

Tell your friend with the E-trac to run sensitivity up until his detector starts chattering then back off till it is stable.
Take if off Auto sens. Sensitivity: Manual. Auto Level: +3
Threshold just to where he can just hear it.
Volume Gain around 18. This allows to differentiate the deep coins from the shallow.
Response: Normal.
Tone ID: Multi.
Sounds: Conduct
Set Ground to Difficult.
Recovery: Fast on, Deep off.
When he does Noise Cancel, tell him to put the coil on the ground and hit Noise Cancel. The machine will pick the right freqs for his ground.
I do this every now and then as I'm detecting. I do this over a clean spot of the ground. Not sure if one has to do that but I do anyway.
Have him make sure his coil is connected good to the detector.
Have him plant a quarter at three feet deep. If he can't hear it, tell him you were just kidding. Have him bury it at 10 inches making sure the soil is compacted as he puts the soil back. If he can't hear that quarter, something is wrong with his coil or detector.
One caveat: The Minelabs don't like freshly planted coins. Sometimes it takes a month or so for the ground to really settle on his freshly buried coin. He can speed up the process by really jamming the dirt down on the coin and lightly spraying the dirt with some water. Repeat until the coin is completely buried.
Tony

Last edited:

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The stock coil is excellent! White's really did their homework on this coil. I am hoping that White's/Detech will release a smaller coil than the 7" one that is already available. I think the Bullseye 5.3 (tuned to the MX Sport frequency of course) would be a great candidate. Nothing wrong with the 7" Detech; I have read nothing but great reviews on that coil but a coil the size of that 5.3 would be like having a laser in trashy sites. The stock 10" has really impressed me at some trashy parks that I hunt. I have still been able to separate out some dimes and copper pennies really well. Still not pulling a lot of nickels yet but with nickels in the same range as some foil and our friends, the pull tabs; I am not surprised nor disappointed. It is probably more an operator error this early in my relationship with the MX Sport. I haven't learned all of it's vocabulary yet. Stand-alone nickels have been a no-brainer to the MX Sport.
I firmly believe that this is a great detector. I have a lot to learn yet and it will only get better the more I hunt with it. I am excited to try the relic mode for some coin hunting.

OP
OP
M

Mikeya9697

Mar 8, 2017
Knoxville Illinois
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to use relic mode after I have been over an area pretty thoroughly in C&J...gets all those easy targets out of the way of the old, deep targets!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Barkas, to get more views, start your own thread and display your finds. A WW2 site?

UncleTom

Jun 3, 2006
SEABROOK TEXAS
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I and II, CTX-3030, Equinox 600, X-terra 70,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great hunting, Thanks for sharing!

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Barkas, to get more views, start your own thread and display your finds. A WW2 site?

Well, they have been accused of hijacking the US presidential election!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread