White's v3i vs Garret at max

MattPa

Aug 15, 2017
westerm PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you stay dry the V3i is great. If you take the time to learn its language its one of the best.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$600 for a two month old V3i seems awfully cheap in my mind. I'd ask for the serial number and then call Whites to verify that the machine is legit. If it is, I'd jump all over that deal. The warranty will carry over (a 2 year warranty) so you've got plenty of time to get it fixed if there is something wrong with it. Whites customer service is legendary.

I know absolutely nothing about the AT Max.

In my mind the two machines aren't remotely in the same category. I'm sure others will disagree, but the V3i is a much more sophisticated machine with far more capability. That can be a great thing, or a terrible thing; depending upon your point of view.

The V3i has the best screen available. Nothing else comes close - unless one of the new (yet to be released) machines challenges it. The V3i can be adjusted for any condition - to your liking. You can change the frequencies, the tones, the threshold, the discrimination, the colors, the.... etc... Sometimes those changes end up making the machine less capable.

You can also hunt in one of the base programs, with no tweaks. You'll find stuff in those programs, but it won't be the ideal settings for the conditions. Tweaking those settings can make the machine go deeper, faster, etc.. Or it can make the machine less deep, slower, etc... Start with the base programs; once you've learned how they work then make small tweaks to the programs. It isn't all that difficult to learn the V3i; it will take some time and experience with the machine.

If you do change a setting that makes the machine less capable - it is easy to go back to the stock program.

Assuming the serial number proves the machine to be a legitimate machine, I'd watch all the V3i videos that Whites put out. They'll give you a good idea of how the machine operates, and how to change the settings.

Someone else will have to tell you about the AT Max. I've never used one.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw your post in the Garrett forum. If you plan to hunt mostly in streams, I'd probably consider something other than the V3i. It is not a waterproof machine. The coil is waterproof, but the box is not. If you got the box wet you would almost certainly fry the machine.

For hunting streams I'd look for a waterproof machine - the MX Sport, AT Pro, Makro Kruzer, Quest Q40, ML Equinox, Tesoro Tiger Shark, etc...

For salt water I'd look at machines designed for that purpose.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The V3i is an awesome machine when you get it figured out. The Max is a good all around machine especially if you water hunt.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
First welcome from N.Mississippi. I think both are great products. I'm thinking the price is better on the White in it checks out ok. White also has great service in case something were to go wrong. I have the AT PRO not the Max and Its a great machine . The PRO has iron audio for checking for iron in the target. Both are good. Both have options for different coils. Heck, flip a coin and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread