Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright White's fans -- After 3 years in the hobby, I'm officially hooked and wanting to add another detector before the weather breaks.

I like the MX5 I'm using, but looking to upgrade. Looking to stay at or below the $800 mark. I'm tempted to switch over to Garrett and go with an AT Pro or AT Max, but definitely no ruling out getting another White's.

Which White's detectors are, in your opinion, similar and/or better performers than the AT PRO/AT MAX? I'm sure the V3i is, but I simply cannot afford a V3i. Waterproof would be a big plus, though not absolutely necessary.

The MX Sport look pretty sweet. Would it be a good upgrade from the MX5? Or are they similar performers?

Thanks for your help.

HH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm partial to the MXT and it's every bit as deep as the V3i with the right coil, you will never feel outgunned once you know the detector well. You might feel sorry the the others though, I wouldn't be afraid to buy a used one either especially if local where you can check it out first. HH

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my sport it hits lots of deep signals, haven't used mx5 so I cant say the difference. I hear really great stuff about the mxt as well, only downside I hear is that its heavier and not waterproof. Good luck with your decision. What I do know is that the at max is very close in comparison to the mxsport in terms of performance and options/settings; not sure if one is any better than the other though. Mxsport and and at max seem to do deeper than the pro without having a giant coil on it as well. Thats about all I can speak for.

OP
OP
KJP462

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys--

Wingmaster -- buying used is an option if one comes available. Currently from the White's lineup, I'm debating between the MXT and the MX Sport - leaning towards the sport due to the waterproofing

TPmetal-- glad to hear you like your MX Sport. Just curious...any quirks or things about it you don't like? I really like that it's waterproof & comparable to the AT PRO and MAX. Waterproofing is what's making lean more towards it than the MXT. My dad (who got me into the hobby) used white's for 30 years and replaced his DFX with an AT PRO and so far isn't as blown away as anticipated, making me second guess going to Garrett & sticking with white's.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys--

Wingmaster -- buying used is an option if one comes available. Currently from the White's lineup, I'm debating between the MXT and the MX Sport - leaning towards the sport due to the waterproofing

TPmetal-- glad to hear you like your MX Sport. Just curious...any quirks or things about it you don't like? I really like that it's waterproof & comparable to the AT PRO and MAX. Waterproofing is what's making lean more towards it than the MXT. My dad (who got me into the hobby) used white's for 30 years and replaced his DFX with an AT PRO and so far isn't as blown away as anticipated, making me second guess going to Garrett & sticking with white's.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Nothing really that I don't like besides it doesn't have multifrequency. I keep watching the equinox, I feel the multi frequency and ability to choose specific frequencies could be a game changer. I'll make a decision on it once it's been tested. If it was me I would wait 6 to 12 months to buy a detector. I would choose between mxsport and equinox 800, but only once the equinox has been properly tested. If you don't wanna wait I have no problem recommending the sport.

OP
OP
KJP462

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
10-4 thanks for the solid advice.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the MX5 and the MX Sport. I have a lot more experience with the MX5 (love that machine). I do like the Sport as well, but the MX5 is special to me.

The Sport is a bit heavier than the MX5. It's waterproof (as opposed to water resistant) and has more programs/options/features. I think the Sport is a bit deeper, but not substantially so. My Sport has the stock DD coil on it; my MX5 usually has the stock concentric coil on it (I tend to like concentric coils better).

I would say the Sport is a step up - probably a fairly substantial step up if the extra features are important to you.

From what I've seen in person, and on videos, the Sport is a bit deeper than the AT Pro. I don't know how it would fare against the AT Max.

I do own the V3i. I think it can be made to be a deeper machine (than the Sport) but I think the stock programs are generally going to be less deep (than the Sport). I think, adjusted correctly, the V3i is as deep as any vlf machine out there, but its real benefit is its adjustability and its ability to accurately identify targets (that accuracy decreases with depth). I have seen used V3 machines selling for roughly the money that a new Sport costs, but the V3 is NOT waterproof.

Another consideration is the MX7. Not waterproof, but that is the only real difference between it and the Sport. (The MX7 is lighter in weight because it isn't waterproof)

Best of luck with whichever machine you choose.

OP
OP
KJP462

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again to you all for the advice and input. After tons of research & a few emails with Bart from Big Boy's Hobbies, just placed an order from BBH for the MX Sport!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A good used V3 from Ebay can run around $600 sometimes, Whites still does a free upgrade to V3i and will check out your unit. All you do is pay for shipping to Whites. This is how I got my V3i

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
You should know.. I found the majority of my CW finds with a Whites 5900...it became too heavy and I moved on to the ATP and minelab 705...but I don't believe I would have missed those targets with the 5900....just sayin

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again to you all for the advice and input. After tons of research & a few emails with Bart from Big Boy's Hobbies, just placed an order from BBH for the MX Sport!

Congrats on getting the MX Sport! Just take your time and really learn this detector. Probably the biggest "sleeper" on the market. I have one and love it. It goes crazy deep and has a lot of very helpful features. I have seen a lot of them for sale, some complain about the weight, but I think the majority have sold their MX Sports due to not taking the time to really learn this awesome detector. Whites will be releasing a 6-6.5" coil for it this spring. Detech already makes a 7" DD coil which I have only heard/read good things about. And then there is Whites unmatched customer service, nuff said....:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
KJP462

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ZR2! I've had it out a few times so far and so far so good! I'm surprised how similar it is to the MX5 I've been using. I definitely notice already that it gets great depth. You bring up a good point about the weight, it's definitely heavier than what I'm used to, but I think it's very balanced overall. I'm happy that White's has a waterproof detector to compete with the Garrett AT series.

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your MX Sport. Can't go wrong with a Whites. Good Luck with it.. :hello2:

OP
OP
KJP462

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Roundness! I agree! Here's to hoping to snag some silver with it soon :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread