Nature of the Signal - Whites TM808

audreamer

Greenie
Dec 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am trying to understand how the signal from this machine behaves. According to the manual the machine detects underground metallic objects when the front coil is positioned directly above the object. But now that I have been using the machine for a while, it seems that the transmission and reception of the VLF signal is not so straight forward. Especially when attempting to scan the target while at the bottom of a vertical pit a few feet underground. Hopefully someone out there knows more about how the signal can change based on ground/environmental conditions.

The first question I had was about signal strength. I had a target that was giving a very strong signal that sent the "intensity meter" past 100. The intensity of the signal remained the same until the hole reached 3-4 FT deep. At that depth I was still getting the signal over the same area but the intensity dropped to 40. It has remained at 40 all the way down to what is now a depth of 6 FT. My only guess is that the receiving coil on the back is now being blocked by more soil than it was at the surface and as a result it is now receiving a much weaker signal from the underground object. Can anyone comment on whether or not this diagram is accurate?

View attachment 1661243

The next question I had was about the form of the signal that's being transmitted by the front coil. Since I'm lacking in the necessary terminology I'll just post another diagram.

View attachment 1661244

The last question I had was about the possible ways the underground object could be detected while scanning at the bottom of a deep pit. Especially if I am only a few feet away from the object. Is it possible that the object could be received by the transmitted signal from the back coil even if the front coil is not directly above the object? Here is another diagram to better illustrate what I mean.

View attachment 1661245

Thanks for any info.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rear coil is TX, front coil is RX. Where a target is detected depends on the target: flatness, orientation, size, etc. No simple answer.

The '808 is also well-known for creating false signals when lowered into a hole. Mineralization can cause all kinds of havoc. I know of a couple of people who dug 60-80ft holes chasing an '808 signal that was probably bogus to begin with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread