MX7 Six Shooter And Deteck 7" DD Opinion After Some Extended Use In The Field

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I have put both these coils the 6” Six Shooter and the 7” Deteck DD on the MX7 in the last week through the paces at an older iron infested 1800 small town where most of the homes are now vacant lots. This area is one of the toughest areas I have ever hunted. I have been hunting this area off and on for years and have run more than a few different detectors through the paces there.

Both coils do their job well and both got great depth on the MX7. I found many junk and some good items at impressive depths for the size of both these coils no problems detecting 6” to 8” on some of the smaller targets. At first I thought the 7” Deteck DD was going to perform better because the mineralization is high at 77 to 82 but as time went on my mind was changed. The DD covers more ground faster because of the knife or blade penetration into the ground from the coil. It also separates well but like most DD coils it does not do as well at rejecting old iron type screw caps and does not ID quite as accuratebut still ID very well with that said.

For me and to my surprise the 6” Six Shooter concentric coil ended up being my coil of choice. It flat out got the overall same depth and ended up being almost if not as smooth running as the DD coil was in the mineralized ground in this area. The 6” Six Shooter kicked but on the Iron screw caps and ID very well. I hunted this area slower with both coils but I did have to hunt a little slower with the Six Shooter making sure to get good overlap but it picked the targets up very well between the trash and was worth the slower pace.

I hunt a lot of trash areas and the MX7 with the 6” Six Shooter coil is a force to be reckoned with and flat kicks but on old iron screw caps an area where the7” Deteck DD struggled. Both of these coils are superb on the MX7 but for me if I could only have one of these two coils it would be the Six Shooter on the MX7 followed by the 7” Deteck DD.

All The Best,
Bill G

Attachments

• MX7 in field.jpg
    MX7 in field.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 115
  • Pic 6 MX7.jpg
    Pic 6 MX7.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Bill for the review, I've been trying to decide which to get for my MX Sport. It's nice to get a first hand opinion of both. I think I'll pull the trigger on the six shooter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread