Technical question about XLT

ICE ADDICT

Aug 15, 2007
Cheektowaga New York
Detector(s) used
whites Spectrum XLT E-Series
I've only had my XLT for a couple months now,I've experimented with a couple custom programs and realized whats good for others doesn't necessarily function very well for you.So with that said,I've pretty much been sticking with the factory programs and having pretty good success.My question is this,am I correct in the notion that raising the AC sensitivity and pre amp gain in small increments of course until the point where the machine still runs stable at the highest setting possible will give me better detection depth and accuracy?

Hope this was the right thread to post this question in.Any responses greatly appreciated.Thank you.

Thats what I read...

But you also may want to run the relic program instead of the others- its really nice and all you have to do is read the VDI numbers rather than looking at the icons. I just started using relic recently and love it.

Also I hear if u accept all VDI numbers in the descrimination, you get more depth (accept -95 to +95)

OP
OP
I

ICE ADDICT

Aug 15, 2007
Cheektowaga New York
Detector(s) used
whites Spectrum XLT E-Series
Thanks Gates,

What kind of depth are you getting and on what types of objects in the relic mode?
Also which program would you start out with before accepting all VDI numbers?

Thanx again.

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
A good read is the book, Understanding the DFX, he covers the XLT also. He recommends adjusting the Pre-Amp gain to a point that you start seeing overload then back off one setting. The AC sensitivity should be adjusted to a the highest setting that can be reached before starting to get chatter.

HH

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Just remember when reading the book understanding the dfx....the dfx pag only goes to 4...unlike the xlt...good luck great book... :)

eddiebhome

Greenie
Jun 5, 2005
Clay, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT-e
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I read in some technical stuff that you get better performance by starting with AC sensitivity in stock value of 64 and then increase preamp gain until it gets noisy, then back off the preamp a notch or two to get rid of the noise. Then increase AC sensitivity until it gets noisy and back off a step or two on that. I got the impression the AC control "acts" more like a fine control and the preamp more coarse, though this is not technically correct.

Depending on soil conditions here in Alabama (often quite mineralized in the Birmingham area), I'm able to run the preamp up to 4 or 6 and have the AC sensitivity up to 70 or so. It adds at least a couple of inches if not more. Most of our targets are less than 6 inches, which should be detectable with stock settings, but often they are partially or completely masked by mineralization or trash. "Tuning up" the XLT as I've described often gets more a more reliable signal on the deeper coins, but I may have to put up with more "chatter" than I would like.

Good luck.
Eddie

jeffmajer

Greenie
Aug 22, 2007
Hey,
I'm even newer to the XLT than you. Only used it about 12-13 hours. The two sources that I use are of course the manual which I've read 8-10 times and a great supplement to that is a book called spectrum secrets by Kevin Mulrooney. He really spells out what the XLT is all about. I've read through most of it 3-4 times and it's really helped my understanding.
Have Fun!
Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions