Kaimi

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2007
las vegas,nv
Detector(s) used
whites gmt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems that there are a LOT of MXT users out there BUT I use the GMT with great luck finding gold and meteorites. My question is this:

With the Goldmax Sierra coil I may be able to cover more ground BUT it is sooooo sensitive it drives my nuts. Do I need to turn the gain and or vSat down for better control of what I am finding?

I currently am running about 5 for the Gain and 7 for the vSat. I run with the irn ID switch ON all the time and the signal boost ON all the time. My threshold is just and I mean just above a hum as I dont like to wear headphones. For some weird reason whenever I wear them I run into snakes. Go figure, they must know when I am wearing them! DUH!!

I primarily am hunting, with great success, meteorites in the Franconia,AZ area.

Mahalo and Aloha for your help,
Kaimi

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
I to use the Goldmax , try turning your boost off and turn the gain up around 8 if your ground will handle that much. The boost as I know it is for helping to pin point the weak signals. The Goldmax isn't supposed to be as sensitive as the stock or smaller coils for small gold, but if it's not, I can't tell it. That coils sure gets heavy after a hour or so. HH

Petra 5

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster e Series, GB2, Goldbug Pro Deep.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The type of ground your working in is going to force you into making adjustments you may or may not want to make.
To me your SAT at 7 is to high. Move it closer to 3. We want to operate at optium performance and sometimes we over shoot things and over optimize and end up with less than ideal performance.
Try something if it dosen't work try something else until you are tracking smothly without false signaling and noise.

Whites needs to upgrade the GMT to display a VDI number like the MXT.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try turning the sat slower,slow the coil sweep down,and lower the gain.
I live down here by copper country mines, and my GM v/sat has to be tuned for the dirt or ground. Where I am working.Nothing is the same ever.I use head phones. Just a cheap set right now. Single ear piece like we use for talking on phones,or skype.
Until I get a better set.
Some times every 10 feet or so. It is best to turn down your gain,and slow your speed(coil sweep) as to hear nuggets or some thing in the ground,than hear nothing at all.
I just bought the Unabridged Zip Zip and am learning a whole lot.

One thing.Lets say you are searching for nuggets. Take a test nugget, what ever your MD can pick up.Lets say a 1 gram.
Put that in a plastic pill bottle,little one.
Now,dig a hole 2 inches in the ground you are going to detect.
Then,set your machine up until you can hear that nugget the best.Not the loudest,but the best signal you can hear.
If your after coins,or jewelry,do the same.
You want your detector set up the best it can possibly be to hear the signal or target the best,not loudest,but the most noticable.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions