Whites PRL1.......

stoneseeker2003

Dec 7, 2007
Oregon, Willamette Valley(left side).
Detector(s) used
Whites PRL1
Got this from my next door neighbor(has a little relic/treasure shop in town),several yrs ago.Pd 285.00, back then.It lived in the Gun Closet,lol.

The coil says Whites ULC 950(its big as a dinner plate). Started playing with it a couple months ago.Found 2 square head iron nails.

But I can't read the tones!!!If I set it to constant.it screams a lot, if I set it to beep (a target), it does just that. But I dig ..and nothing???? Tigger John sweeps over a spot I think has something and says nope nothing!

I just bought Tigger John a VLF from Wal Mart(used my discount) cost me 40.00
He found a necklace charm first time out!!!!
I have all the orig paper work,read the how to's, and I've read( almost) every post on this Forum on tones, beeps and such.

So my question is.. what am I doing wrong?? Should I put it back in the closet and order one for me from Wal Mart?
Have I got the wrong machine?
Is my coil too big?
Is this like keyboarding and Twixt Candy bars??(I'll never get those things!!!)
Any ideas would be super, thanks, Stoneseeker

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
That detector has just one knob - the discrimination knob. It will find coins and jewelry. What you need to do is some air tests. Use a nail, nickel, several pull tabs, zinc cent, copper cent, quarter and half. Make seven little tabs from paper with only a small line on them. Turn the disc knob all the way left. Then wave the nail over the coil. While doing this rotate the knob slowly to the right. You'll here the point where the nail stops beeping. Tape on one of your makers labeled iron at that point. The proceed with the nickel, tabs, zinc,copper cent, quarter and half. Marking each where the beep stops. Copper cent and dime are on the same marker. Now when you hunt set your disc knob at the iron setting. Then if your coin hunting and get a beep slowly turn the disc knob to the right and note just where your target quits beeping. This will give you some indication of what the target may be. Remember that small gold rings will usually be between the nail and nickel. Larger gold will be from nickel to copper cent. Silver will be from nickel all the way up but mostly in the high coin range. This will make your hunting more pleasurable to see what is a manual target ID. This way you can hunt with what you have. It would be easy to tell you to just go buy a used ID or IDX but that costs money. You may want to upgrade later but see what you find with your detector first. Good luck! Another tip is to cut a nice round piece of paper. Then cut a hole out in the middle so you can apply the paper disc over your knob. Then all you have to do is draw and label it in place.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Stoneseeker,
Did you get the manual target ID done? If so have you mastered it yet?

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
download the manuel on the whites site & it will tell you how to master the PRL-1. I have one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread