MXT Battery Question

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Could someone please help me? I changed my batteries for the first time since getting my MXT. I have 32 AA Duracell alkaline batteries. Mr. Pepper said they are not the right kind. He has gone to get me the RIGHT kind. He said I needed aceddiem(sp) alkaline batteries. That is the kind the dealer told him I needed. Will the regular AA alkaline mess up my machine?

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I've been using whatever I happen to grab also and haven't noticed any difference with mine- other than the cheapies don't last as long of course.

OP
OP
Pepper2004

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Thanks for the replies. After reading this. I put some Duracell's in. I got a reading when I first turn it on about the batteries. Then it said hot rocks. ( I ground balanced it first before the hot rock reading). Is this normal when you first change the batteries? (Mr. Pepper doesn't know I did this so not a word ok?) ;)

R

robert roy

Been useing the cheapo batteries from WalMart .94 cent battery Raovac pack. Even used some from the Dollar Store with no problems. One of these days I'm going to have to start useing rechargeables and save some money in the long trtm.
Robert R

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I have used Duracell and Energizer and never had a problem. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you put them in correctly.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Sounds like it may not have been ground balanced, at least not completely. You may already know all this but just in case. First make sure the TRAC is set to ground. If you ever get a signal from the same spot you just ground balanced at, hotrocks or anything at all, then you need to find a cleaner spot and redo it. Coil to ground and about a 3-4 inch pump two to three times is all it takes. To make sure it is balanced, lift the coil waist high, pull the pin point trigger and lower the coil to the ground. The threshold hum should stay steady, a slight increase is OK. Then you know for sure it is ground balanced. Hope this helps but if you already know it then maybe it will help someone else. Ground balancing can have a big affect on depth, falsing and erratic threshold which is one thing new owners often complain about (me included when I got mine 5 years ago).

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duracell for the last 3 years in my MXT no problems. The cheapies also work but, I feel they don't last as long.

OroGrande

Apr 1, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I use the Energizer Lithium with great results not to mention they last alot longer than alkies. However I have experienced no noticeable performance effects other that the Liths last alot longer. I find this helpful, especially since I rarely use headphones,(too many rattlesnakes, lol) which will also increase battery life. Hope this helps you. I love my MXT. HH, and look forward to seeing your finds. "Oro"

OP
OP
Pepper2004

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone for the advice. Tim you where correct. I didn't ground balance it right that day. Another lesson learned.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Energizer rechargeable batteries,also Rayovac rechargeable also. I have the dfx and the mxt has the same battery packs. Buy the Energizers and you'll be happy. My hunting partner has the mxt so i bring along extra battery pack just in case his quiets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread