Help, should I purchase this MXT?

puckpack

Greenie
Dec 2, 2007
Lakeville, MN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Hi all, great board!

My father and I have just found the wonderful world of metal detecting and we are looking for a detector that I can use. There is an ad locally for a seldom used MXT for $500 with new headphones. Is this a good deal? Is this to much machine for a novice? We have just started out and do not want to have something that neither of us can use.

We live in Minnesota and would be using it there.

Thanks for any input!

Sean

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
There is going to be a learning curve with any machine you get. Read some reviews and check some places like Ebay for price comparison. You will get several opinions on which detector is best but ultimately it will depend on your preferences. Welcome to the hobby and Tnet, glad to have you aboard. Good luck and happy hunting,

Charlie

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Buy it!!! If you don't want it, let me know and I will. Thats a great price for a great detector that is a good all around detector and you will learn easy enough with a little practice.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy it!! I've had my MXT for awhile and for my purposes, (coins) I wouldn't get rid of it. I use the 6x10 Eclipse on mine and I love it. The basic learning curve is short and fairly easy. Whatever you get, enjoy abd HH.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
A MXT is worth $500.00 used and you can not loose on it for you can get that much for it if you don't like it but you will like it..............Buy it before some one else grabs it............==Jim==

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
500.00 is a really good deal on one fairly new or not used much. The nice thing is you get to see it before handing over the money. Take 8AA batteries with you just in case the person says it works great but I don't have batteries. Toss a few coins on the ground, check to make sure the VID is working, numbers and bars, then you are good to go. Also you can't lose, if for some reason you don't care for the MXT (which isn't very likely) you can always sell it for 500.00
It's not all that hard to learn but if you do get it, make one more investment before anything, get Jeff Fosters book "The MXT Edge". It will bring you up to speed on it real quick. I have been using mine for over 5 years now and have yet to try another detector I would replace it with. Belonging to a club I have had the opportunity to try quite a few.

OP
OP
P

puckpack

Greenie
Dec 2, 2007
Lakeville, MN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Thank you all for the great advice. I think we will stop by and check it out. It sounds like we would be able to move it fairly easily if it is not the right fit for us.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, buy it. I love mine. Easy learning curve. Don't wait or it'll be gone.

OP
OP
P

puckpack

Greenie
Dec 2, 2007
Lakeville, MN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Thank you all for the great advice. Unfortunately I moved to slowly, he sold it to someone else. :(

Now I will probably go with my original plan and see if I can find an Ace 250.

Thanks again,
Sean

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions