Orlando Beaches and DFX - Questions

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I am heading to Orlando to catch the shuttle launch. Thinking about taking my DFX. This is my first trip to ANY beach to detect. I've picked up some good info here already about transporting with a case on the plane ride.

My understanding is the coil is waterproof so ( being a newbie) does that mean you can search in the water? Are you searching that gravel like area where stones seem to pile up? Or are searching in the area covered by high tide (that becomes exposed with low tide)?

We will be staying in Orlando, so any recommendations on beaches in the area would be appreciated.

Optic

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess Ill state the obvious, dont let the control box get we at all and make sure you ground balance the machine over the sand you are working in. for example if you go from wet sand to dry sand make sure you ground balance it on the dry and wet. Sounds obvious about the ground balancing but when I was a newbie with my MXT i couldnt figure out why it bounced all over in the wet sand and not the dry. :-[

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
the second thing is that Orlando really isn't near the beach!!! Cocoa beach on the east coast and Clearwater on the gulf coast are about as close as you will get I think. check mapquest for mileage

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
If you want to keep up with the changes to the world wide space launch schedules to go:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html

Cocoa Beach is about 45 minute drive east of Orlando. You would be better to stay in Cocoa Beach area. Closer to beaches and you can see the Shuttle launch from the beach. Most people go to Jetty Park ($5 Entry Fee or $10 for yearly pass) to see the launches but you can see them from any of the near by beaches.

Enjoy your visit to FL.

Ray S

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will do OK on the dry sand, but on the wet you may have to lower Sensitivity and Gain too. In the shallow water the DFX may still be unstable due to waves washing over the coil and there will also be more black sand present.

Coil is waterproof, but don't raise the coil over the control box or water in the shaft can flow down the shaft into the box and fry it.

Good Luck and hope ya have fun.
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions