Little Help??

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
Yep,there all kinds of crazy laws.Depends on city,state ,county ,federal or what ever.Check with the right office before you dig.
Happy Hunting,
Jim

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
After many years of hunting in Wisconsin I will let you in on a few....Most public grounds are open to detecting unless its a very manicured lawn...Dont do ball diamonds unless its an old seldom used one....watch for posted signs and know your county rules...easily accessible online for most of them... federal forests are detecable if you talk to the ranger or DNR agent first....use common sense...cover your holes,carry your trash out....I have hunted in parks,schools,forests, fair grounds etc with no problem ever in the state....If you are polite and cover your holes,you shouldnt have a problem.....one thing to remember....parks....you are carrying a big digger....make sure you have it enclosed around children and not waving it around....Good Luck

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet!

What Gypsy said. . . :wink:

Also. . . If you live near Muskego, you're pretty close to the Southern Unit of the Kettle Moraine Sate Forest which has a lot of history. If you want to hunt the Kettle Moraine State forest, stop by one of the DNR offices (look online to see what's close) and pick up a metal detecting permit. . . they're free if you have a Wisconsin Park Sticker. Make sure that you have one. . . the Wisconsin Park Rangers WILL check if they see you detecting 8).

Good luck!
watercolor

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cemeteries are off limits, as are Indian mounds (by state law).

A good thing to do is check with the owner entity and see if there are any restrictions according to them.

Nothing comes in handier when the cops show up than to say, "I have permission (a permit) from the director to do this."

Usually the cost is free.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Bum Luck said:
Cemeteries are off limits, as are Indian mounds (by state law).

A good thing to do is check with the owner entity and see if there are any restrictions according to them.

Nothing comes in handier when the cops show up than to say, "I have permission (a permit) from the director to do this."

Usually the cost is free.

I always forget to mention those two places because I take it for granted that most people have common sense....There are many forgotton cemeteries ,but these are off limits also...at least in my book.....one thing is forts....you need permission....and if its not granted,remember that most forts only occupy a small amount of land...neighboring property owners will often allow you to hunt their adjoining land which can lead to some fantastic finds. One thing in Wisconsin,if a property owner says no...they mean no and will shoot your butt and ask questions later. There are alot of out -of- state hunting property owners who only come during deer or fishing season...most will allow you to detect their property when they aren't there. Another place to check is logging companies,they usually buy stumpage and can be a great source of knowledge as to where old homestead foundations are....

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking at my "Metal Detector User Permit" From the State of Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.

METAL DETECTOR USER PERMIT
Form 9400-239 Rev. 1-96

Permit Conditions:

1 Use of a metal detector is permitted only on unturfed areas on designated beaches or unturfed shoreline below the ordinary high water level OR when locating a specific item lost by a property owner OR when specifically authorized by the State Archaeologist on a planned project.

2 All excavations must be returned to their original condition.

3 Permits issued from May 1 to October 15 are valid only from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. or 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., unless the expansion of the time limit is specifically noted under section 7 below by the property superintendent or authorized department of natural resources representative.

4 All items found will be turned in to the property office prior to leaving the property. Items which are not of archaeological significance will be returned to the Permittee if not claimed by the owner within (60) days and if return is requested by Permittee.

5 The property superintendent or authorized department of natural resources representative may terminate this permit by verbal notification at any time.

6 The permittee agrees to reimburse the department of natural resources for any damage to state property resulting from permittee's action or omission. The Permittee is subject to all rules and laws regarding conduct on state property.

7 Additional permit ares and/or use restrictions:

As you can see that in paragraph # 4 the state requires you to turn in all items found and they will decide what you may keep after a 60 day waiting period.

(It seams as though the State Archaeologist has laid claim on all items found on State Public Property.)
I stay out of the State Property while metal detecting unless searching for a specific item as stated in the first paragraph.

If I find a nice Copper spear head; I should not have to turn it over to some State Archaeologist to claim.

Badger State Archeological Society

They need to dig there own dirt!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
the few times that DNR did approach me ,they didnt even ask for my finds....just wanted to know how I was doing....But of course every place is different....I hunted alot of the State forest land and they didnt even care what I dug as long as it wasnt on a main trail...I tried to turn my rusty junk in and they didnt want it...LOL....But always ask permission first

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My trash collection keeps growing.
I always haul as much trash out as I can carry. It is unbelievable how much modern day rubbish is strewin every where.

Back to the subject;
No one has ever asked me to stop digging or to leave. Take care of your environment and fill your holes.

Has any one heard of some new water detecting rules here in gods country?
Any info?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread